Not Drinking Water...and Shedding...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
Emma appears to be pulling the same behavior as last time (when she wound up hospitalized). She's shedding; still eating; but drinking less water, which she barely touched overnight (yesterday into today).

At this point, I suppose that I should start force-feeding her something (water or even water with a little pumpkin for added fiber), yes? I'll call the vet today for further advice (esp. with regards to a motility drug, if necessary).

I'm gonna lose my ever-loving mind....

Jenk

When I have a rabbit that stops drinking as much water - I add a bit of vanilla to their water (just a few drops) - or I add some baby juice - apple or something (just a few drops - basically - something to add a bit of flavor) - or I make some mint tea and add maybe 1/2 teaspoon of that (if they like mint tea).

I find that often entices them to drink more.

I also use (shame on me) bubble gum flavored pedialyte sometimes and syringe that into them.....I find that most of my rabbits are suckers for the bubble gum flavor...

TinysMom wrote:
When I have a rabbit that stops drinking as much water - I add a bit of vanilla to their water (just a few drops) - or I add some baby juice - apple or something (just a few drops - basically - something to add a bit of flavor) - or I make some mint tea and add maybe 1/2 teaspoon of that (if they like mint tea).
Emma ate the two rolled Romaine leaves containing some pumpkin. (I'm not sure if I fooled her into eating it, or if she liked it and will eventually eat more.)

For flavoring her water, mint would be my first choice; but Emma doesn't like fresh mint, so I'm not sure that it would entice her to drink. I added about a 1/2 T. of apple juice to her crock this morning, and she did take a good, long drink afterward.

At this point, she seems to passnormal-looking poops after eating greens and/or drinking water, but smaller/drier ones overnight (when she ignores her water).

I don't want to resort to forcing fluids on her, but I will, if she continues going 8+ hours without drinking water.

I also use (shame on me) bubble gum flavored pedialyte sometimes and syringe that into them.....I find that most of my rabbits are suckers for the bubble gum flavor...
I'm not that brave. I could get regular-flavored Pedialyte (which Emma likes) and (literally) water it down;I don'ttrust the high sugar content of it and dislike the idea that it's usability is so limited(sinceit's only good for 48 hours once opened).

Jenk wrote:
I'm not that brave. I could get regular-flavored Pedialyte (which Emma likes) and (literally) water it down;I don'ttrust the high sugar content of it and dislike the idea that it's usability is so limited (sinceit's only good for 48 hours once opened).
That's fine. We once checked the sugar content of this vs. the regular non-flavored kind. If I remember right - it was exactly the same.....I know 'cause I asked about using flavored vs. unflavored pedialyte.

I think that as long as you can put something in her water to entice her to drink - she'll do better...

Good luck.

Hi Jenk,

Have you tried giving her a bowl if she's using a water bottle? I've recently switched all my rabbits from bottles to bowls and I notice a big increase in their water intake. They've grown up with bottles, but I think as theyhave aged, they seem to prefer the bowl.

What about offering her some celery? How about a piece of apple? I'd try the celery first, though, because it doesn't have the sugar in it that apples do. You're doing fine with offering theRomaine as well. Might want to water it down a bit before giving it to her. You can do the same with greens oncarrots...soak them, and then offer them to your little one. Would steer as clear as I could as long as I could from sugary suppliments when trying to entice a little one to drink.

If she's eating greens and acting normally, and her urine doesn't look unusually dark, then she's probably getting the fluid she needs. Keep an eye on it for coloring and odor of her urine and the amount of food she's eating and of course her poops.

Seasons can affect how much water they take in. Have you changed anything in her surroundings or perhaps changed the bottle? If you're using a waterbottle, are you sure it's functioning properly?

How are her teeth? Sometimes if a tooth is crooked or she has a molar spur, it can get in the way of their drinking. It might not be obvious to you, but I have run across rabbits that have quit drinking because of their teeth. Ear infections can cause them to avoid drinking as well.

Some rabbitswhen they're shedding out a coat or are in heat will drink less.

Keep a close on on her activity level and her eating. Sometimes when they stop drinking, slowing down on eating is next.I'd have some pedialyte on hand just in case, but would offer dark greens and such to get fluid into her. Watch for signs of her being in pain.

Come on, Emma, bottom's up!

Carolyn

Hi, Carolyn.

I'll reply in the order of your questions.

My girls only drink from crocks. Emma normally drinks a huge amount of water from hers but drank a lot less last night.(She's since had a decent amount once I added a small amount of unsweetened apple juice to it.)

I've already offered her pumpkin (hidden in the Romaine), so I don't want to switch to anything new atm. And I always feed greens that have been thoroughly soaked in water. (I put a probiotic on them, too, which requires them to be wet in order for it to stick.)

She's still eating her greens and acting fairly normal; plus, she urinated more today than yesterday--a bonus. (The urine looks/smells normal.) As for her actual poop production, check on my thread "AsGood as Gold...." ;)

I've not changed anything regarding Emma's care; so I'm guessing that her shedding period is causing a decrease in her water consumption (granted, not the best time to decrease it...). As for seasons...Well, it's hot here in IL, but the house is kept at 75-deg. F--pretty consistent.

As far as I know, Emma's teeth are fine. (They're always checked at every vet visit, her last of which was just a few weeks ago.)

The good news is that while Emma's water intake increased (at least today), her food consumption has remained strong.

I'll keep an eye on her for signs of pain, certainly. Right now, she's flopped over on her side, looking very relaxed. I'll take that as a good sign. ;)

"As good as gold"?? :laugh:That's great!

Well, Jenk, it sounds like things are going well and that you have everything perfectly under control. With what you just described, it sounds like she's getting the fluids she needs at the moment between her behavior and her bathroom habits. I agree that if you're instincts are saying don't change anything, then you should follow them completely.

I'm really happy to hear that Ms. Emma was chillin out when you wrote this email and that she's pooping and urinating. Keep up the great work, Bun Mom.

All rabbits should have a home like what Emma's got. It's a home fit for a King. :elvis2:

All the best to you and yours!

Carolyn

I've also used unsweetened cranberry juice (like 1/2 teaspoon in 1/2-1 cup of water) for Penny if I think her water consumption is down while she's shedding. For some reason she seems more affected by heat than my other rabbit too so she will usually drink a bit if I add an icecube to her crock (yes, she's a princess;)! Mom, I'd like my water "on the rocks" please!). Sounds like things are going well though. Keep up the good work:)

[align=left]:yeahthat:
my Muffin would kill for cranberry juice. also, sometimes they like to play with an ice cube on a slick floor (linoleum, tile, etc) when it's hot because they can chase it around and lick at it. that could keep her active and hydrated.
[/align]

Back