Not drinking as much water...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jama

Reaction score
When I first got my bun, she drank a bowl of water a day, but starting last week she has barely been getting through half a bowl of water a day. I'm kinda worried... is this okay??

No ..it's important to notice changes like that. Could be the beginning of something.
Are there any other changes in her?
eating habits?
Have you changed bowls or their location ?
anything ?

She still eats the same amount and the bowls haven't moved or changed. The only thing I can think of that has changed is her time outside the cage. She still gets plenty of time out, but it's not as much as she's used to. Would that do something to her?

Has she been getting more grass or vegetables?
Because they can be quite moist and quench their thirst a bit then maybe she won't drink as much out of her bowl becuase she is getting it in fruit and veg instead.

beccastar.jpg

Becca, I have been giving her a few carrots, so maybe that's it.

Her poops are normal.

By the way that was just an idea, don't just take that and forget about it. LOL Sorry. I'm not that experienced it was just a thought, I just hope its that and nothing serious. Hope someone that does know comes along soon to confirm it or say its wrong...

:)Becca..it's true that often times if a rabbit eats vegetables that contain water that they will drink less water so what you said is correct. Everything' fine

jama /..if your bun is eating and pooping OK and drinking some water just not as much as usual I would continue to watch him but not be alarmed. It's even possible that if the weather is cooler where you live that the bun's thirst has decreased

Ohh YAY!

Good luck with Hazel, I'm sure she'll be fine.

I was gone all day today and had my roommate take care of her and she drank a full bowl of water today... yay! So yeah, I am assuming it was the veggies. Thanks for the help!

Also when the weather gets cooler rabbits tend to not drink as much water. I see it all the time at the rabbit rescue. :)I'm glad she is drinking normally again!

I've noticed two things with mine -

Since they are on more of a hay/greens diet than pellets they drink more if there are less greens offered so I'd say veggies do add to the water content they take in.

In the summer they do drink more than in the cold weather, but then again that varies depending on the foods given to an extent.

I dont use water bottles, they all drink from crock bowls. IMO it takes them longer (especially giant breeds) to geta satisfactory fill from a bottle, where from a crock I've seen Aiden & Cass dip in to their chin and almost suck in water rather than lap at it.

Hello everyone!

Bun and I are new to this RO Forum, so bare with us here.
This thread is the closest I could find to my problem, but Bun has completely stopped drinking water since we moved to a new place in April.
I've taken into consideration that he may have stopped because its a new place, but his veggie intake has increased tremendously. He used to drink from a bottle since he never learned to drink from a dish.
When he was drinking a lot (in our old apartment), his diet consisted of 1/4C of pellets, unlimited hay and a few cups of veggies once day, which he was never able to finish eating.

In our new apartment, his diet now consists of 1/8C of pellets, unlimited hay and a few cups of veggies, two and a half times a day, which he now eats all of...but won't drink water.

Is he getting enough water from the veggies? Or shall I keep trying to get him to drink?

His veggie diet gets switched up every two weeks but normally consists of two carrots, carrot tops, parsley, cilantro, dandelions, green/romaine lettuce and escarole.

Please help. I've taken him to the vet and she says he's completely healthy but I forgot to ask about this situation.

Does he have access to water?

You could try giving him a bottle and a dish.

Yep, both are available to him right now and I change it everyday. Even tried giving him bottled water (Poland Spring) lol

Does he actually drink any?

Or has he just stopped drinking completley?

Okay wait, I just read the first post again.

If the vet says his healthy then I wouldn't worry to much :?

I'm not sure, I hope someone else comes along soon.

Though is he still binkying, peeing and pooping okay?

Has his attitude changed at all?

He's been happier then ever!
No more hard wood floors, more space to run, more space to hide. Poop is normal, no clumps, and they're all the same size (though I recently had people over from a shelter because I was thinking of adopting/bonding and they told me his poop should be the size of cocoa puffs, which I think are huge).

Hmmm, well I think he should be fine if he still has access to water at all times, I would keep a bottle and bowl in there (try a heavy bowl so he can't knock it over and its difficult to move ). As long as he looks healthy and acts healthy he should be time.

Though please don't take what I say as a final thing I'm only 13 !! I don't want to tell you he's fine (though I'm sure he is)

Becca x

And P.S Welcome to the forum :D

Latest posts

Back