Not drinking as much water...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The veggie diet is sufficient for water intake. My vet told me once that bunnies don't need water. :shock: But of course he meant bunnies who eat a lot of greens.

I'm not sure that I've ever seen Pipp take a drink unless she's sick or moulting and I spike her water dish with diluted apple juice. She eats a ton of veggies, though.

No worries. :)

sas

:bunnydance:

Okay Thanks Sas, I was right YAY!

Glad your buns okay, nothing to worry about!!

PS: Pipp will NOT eat hay, which is another reason she doesn't drink water. My other rabbits drink water in direct relation to their hay intake. The more hay, the more water.

Both hay and veggies provide adequate fibre for good digestion. Hay usually provides more 'entertainment' in terms of keeping the rabbit occupied with foraging, and it's also better for their teeth, but with enough variety including the right kind of 'chewy' veggies, a veggie diet works great -- although the amount of veggies required is pretty massive.

Pipp is a dwarf and the daily salad is probably three times bigger than she is. I've read that they can eat their weight in veggies every day on an all-veggie diet, an that's certainly true in Pipp's case.

sas :eats:

I have noticed that when my bunny has hay, she doesn't drink water... but once that hay is gone, she slurps it down like crazy. If he's been without water for this long, and he still acts okay, I'm sure he's fine. Just keep an eye out and you might even try letting him run out of hay and see if he will drink the water.

Keep us updated.

jama wrote:
The only thing I can think of that has changed is her time outside the cage. She still gets plenty of time out, but it's not as much as she's used to. Would that do something to her?
Someone may have already stated this info., but, yes, less exercise can result in a decreased thirst. In fact,exercise is advised not only to help bunners' digestive tract to function normally (as with humans), but also to encourage a good thirst to help keep them well-hydrated.

Still, I would keep close tabs on any other possible changes, no matter how slight. If you have doubts, please speak with your bun's vet.

Jenk

Latest posts

Back