Not drinking after neuter?!?!?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyBug

Reaction score
hey guys. we've had Jamie home for about 20 hours(we picked him up at 4pm yesterday, it's 12pm now) and i don't think he's had very much to drink, if anything at all. we don't have cranberry juice in the house to put into his water like i know someone suggested, so i was wondering if i could use apple, punch or strawberry kiwi? most of our juices are reduced sugar with artificial sugar in it because of my diabetes;).

Couple of quick thoughts....is he on appropriate pain meds? If not....call the vet and insist. Next, if your vet is rabbit savvy....your rabbit was most likely given supplemental fluids at the time of surgery since anesthesia will tend to dehydrate them. So if he had fluids, he simply might not be thirsty yet. As far as putting something in the water....I am not a huge fan of that since I have found that the only thing you get by adding something to the water is contaiminated water.

Randy

he had a injection before he left that will last 24 hours, so he should still be ok for pain. thanks for the input, i guess i'll wait a bit longer before i freak out :p

Those injections don't actually last as long as they say. He is probably hurting right now.

Is he eating? pooing? weeing? How is he acting in himself?

he's eating and pooping, i think he's tinkled :p. time to go put my nose in the *box* i guess! he seems tired but is starting to act more like himself.

Does he eat greens? You can soak some greens in water and give it to him if he wants to eat them. That will give him a little bit of water in his system.

he's doing better, eating lots of veggies and a bit of fruit. the cone is driving him NUTS tho :(:shock:

Try removing the cone and keep and eye on him. I've never had a bun need a cone after a neuter. I think it stresses them out more than it helps.

slavetoabunny wrote:
Try removing the cone and keep and eye on him. I've never had a bun need a cone after a neuter. I think it stresses them out more than it helps.
that's what the vet suggested too, we called them this morning. so far he's doing good. but it's going to have to go back on in a minute, mom has one more test this morning :twitch:

They gave you a cone for him? Those are awful (and unneccesary) for bunnies. They need to be able to clean themselves and eat their cecals and the cone doesnt allow that. The cone also makes it difficult for them to eat and drink out of bowls. I would take it off right away. Keep an eye on him and if he seems to be picking at the area there are better alternatives (like a makeshift shirt around his midsection).

Glad to hear he's feeling better!

I agree about the cone. I hope he is feeling less pain. I think apple or cranberry juice would be best. Good luck with the rest of the healing process.

he's been out of the cone since saturday night and is doing great, sooooo much happier. thanks sooooooooooo much for the help guys!

Latest posts

Back