Not dire...but concerned

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orchid

Reaction score
IN a message I received the following:

seems she is a bit older as she had quite a bit of fatty tissue around her uterus which happens as females age. He estimated her age as around 2 years old, which is still young in our terms since they can live to 10 or 12 with good care. No sign of uterine cancer, which was the good news.

Do I need to be concerned about this fatty tissue? Though there was no sign of cancer?

I am no expert here...but it just sounds like your vet was just discussing age...as rabbits age they develop fatty tissue...the younger they are the less fatty deposits...So it means he was just updating you on your bunns more likely age.

Just call the vet and ask for clarification!

One of our adopted boys was pegged at closer to 7 by the vet when we thought he was more like 4 years! :shock: Quite a shocker!

Danielle

Runestonez wrote:
I am no expert here...but it just sounds like your vet was just discussing age...as rabbits age they develop fatty tissue...the younger they are the less fatty deposits...So it means he was just updating you on your bunns more likely age.

Just call the vet and ask for clarification!

One of our adopted boys was pegged at closer to 7 by the vet when we thought he was more like 4 years! :shock: Quite a shocker!

Danielle

It isn't my vet, but the rescue's vet...Do not know name or number...

I just wanted a double check with the people here...I trust people here ya know...kinda have a bad attitude that people lie and won't tell you the truth if they want something from you...(working on that)

I agree with Runestonez. Fat accumulates around the organs, particularly the reproductive organs, as small mammals like rabbits age. It just means that they got a better estimation of her age by doing the spay than they did from the initial examination. I would only worry if she is overall quite fat, because that can lead to other problems, such as fatty liver disease. However, it is normal for older bunnies to accumulate fat like this. I was once in a lab that worked with rats, and rats never stop putting on weight--they just reach a certain length and then the bones stop growing but they keep ballooning out. The researcher I worked with could tell that the rats were old because they had a lot of fatty tissue (when he did operations), particularly around the reproductive organs (he would neuter the rats as part of the experiment). He also knew they were old because of course we kept track of their ages, but the fat was another sign.

tonyshuman wrote:
I agree with Runestonez. Fat accumulates around the organs, particularly the reproductive organs, as small mammals like rabbits age. It just means that they got a better estimation of her age by doing the spay than they did from the initial examination. I would only worry if she is overall quite fat, because that can lead to other problems, such as fatty liver disease. However, it is normal for older bunnies to accumulate fat like this. I was once in a lab that worked with rats, and rats never stop putting on weight--they just reach a certain length and then the bones stop growing but they keep ballooning out. The researcher I worked with could tell that the rats were old because they had a lot of fatty tissue (when he did operations), particularly around the reproductive organs (he would neuter the rats as part of the experiment). He also knew they were old because of course we kept track of their ages, but the fat was another sign.

Thank you....

I like having a better understanding of things...

Latest posts

Back