Nose nudging

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crimsonpawwz

Reaction score
My little rex girl won't really snuggle up to me, but when I have her out she'll sit near me (with in arm's reach) and occationally come up to me and nudge me repeatedly with her nose, then go back away. She tollerates petting, but doesn't seem to care to be picked up, and she's not licky.

Is there a particular translation for the nudging?

Same here my two do it when they want something, (which is usually a head rub) usually my hand is near their head at the time or above it and they come over and nudge my hand (Charlie will lick it but Isabella isnt a licky rabbit at all)

With Isabella if you dont get the clue of the head nudging the first time on what she wants, she will then give your hand a gentle nip.

Elf does this too. I had her on my desk, petting her after I was done clipping her nails. She wasn't happy with me just petting her back with my left hand. She had to nudge my right hand to also pet her head and neck, and would nudge it again if I stopped petting her head even if I was still petting her back. :) They're pretty needy, but in a good way!

Well then I certainly prefer the nudging then! We had one that would nip staying with us for a while and it was deffinetly less plesant. Thanks guys.

I interpret nudging in two ways: 1) It's a sign of affection; or 2) it's a sign of bossiness (such as telling you to shove it over).

With my girls, a single nudge is to show affection and to say, "Hey, I'm here; pay attention to me." Multiple and/or more insistant nudges mean, "Move it, human! I need to squeeze past you." ;)

Jenk, that's pretty much true here as well, though I'm not sure about the number of nudges.

A lot of the nose nudges that I get seem to be "Hey! I'm right here! C'mon, notice me!" When I do, she bounces away, mission accomplished. ;)

ec wrote:
A lot of the nose nudges that I get seem to be "Hey! I'm right here! C'mon, notice me!" When I do, she bounces away, mission accomplished. ;)
Ha ha! That's what my little Heart seems to do! She'll hop over... nudgenudgenudge... receive a scritch or pat... then hop away and either snug down in the blanket (when we're on the bed) or wash her face, then just sit and watch me.

Most of the time, Nibbles just wants me to say something like "I see you" or "I know you're down there" - as soon as I do, she's happy, and usually won't stay still long enough for me to get in a quick skritch. After she's done playing is another story, though. ;)

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Oh yeah, Bo does that too! He will do it just to basically say "Hi Mama! I love you!"
Bo B, you and I must share a brain when it comes to bunny stuff.:biggrin2: I told my husband months ago that, per my belief, the girls call me Mama.

My two nudge me constantly whenever they want attention, or food. Anna is the more impatient of the two, and if I ignore her nudges she will soon switch tactics and nip. Not enough to leave a mark, but enough to certainly get the nippee's full attention.

Interestingly, dogs have this behavior as well. My dog doesn't nudge though...she SHOVES with her nose, enough to knock me off balance if I don't respond on the first two or three. It's definitely a 'I want you to listen to me Mom!' thing.

Latest posts

Back