No shelter knows about rabbit breeds.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littl3red

Ashtin - Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm considering getting Teddy a new friend. I was looking on petfinder, and good heavens! Nobody puts any good info up for the bunnies. :(

17408_131949_090000000.jpg

Okay, I emailed an inquiry about this one. No information about him/her at all except a name (Smidgeon) and this one picture. Not even a gender. :rollseyes So I don't know about his/her size until they email me, but I figured that would help. I have no guesses at all about the breed, maybe just a "mutt"?

The next two were both listed as Rex, but, umm...

17408_131949_420000000.jpg

This one is probably a Californian, right? So she'd be pretty big?

17408_131949_270000000.jpg

And I don't know about this one, but she sure is pretty.

It's not like breed would affect my decision (at all, unless my mom says absolutely no giant breeds,) but I was just really curious. I want to know a little bit of what to expect, especially since all the rabbits are a minimum 45 minute drive.

Depending on its size the first one could be a polish rabbit as they come in chocolate. Max weight is 3.5lbs.

The second definitely looks like a californian. Cals have a max weight of 10.5lbs

the third could be a rex rabbit (either standard or mini depending on size) or it could be a harlequin or harlequin colored variety rabbit. It looks like either a black or chocolate japanese harlequin. A body picture would be better but I cant tell if the whiskers are curly or not. If they are curly then it is a rex if they are straight it is some other breed

Yeah, I think the second one's whiskers are curly. That's easy to remember, I didn't know rex rabbits had curly whiskers. Rex rats have curly whiskers too. :) I'll update with the size as soon as I get a response to my email.

Shelters are busy & overworked & so don't have time to learn about breeds. If someone would like to help them with that, I;m sure they'd appreciate it.

Yes, I understand that they are busy and all, but this particular seems like they don't care much about getting the rabbit adopted at all. They had literally no information besides the name and picture. All the cats and dogs have descriptions and other information. The one other rabbit they have has a description: "I'm a curious bunny that likes to hop, hop, hop. I will hop my way around and explore. Please pick me up, because I really like being petted. Oh...and if you scratch my ears, I'll be your best friend. Did you know that I would make a perfect pet for a child? Yes I would. I'm pretty easy to take care of. It is important that I do have raw fruits and veggies though. They help to keep me healthy. Please ask an adoption counselor to visit with me today so we can become best buddies forever." First of all, "Please pick me up" is likely misleading, I know very few rabbits that enjoy being picked up. Also, "I would make a perfect pet for a child" and "I'm pretty easy to take care of" are just plain untrue. Rabbits are not houseplants and they're very fragile. That just kinda irked me.

Latest posts

Back