No pellets?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunterbaby05

Reaction score
Someone I know said they are not feeding their netherland dwarf pellets until 6 months of age. She said she's doing this because someone she knows netherland dwarf actually aspirated the pellets somehow if that makes sense? I was really confused when I heard that and My netherland is 3 months old and is doing great on a pellet and hay diet. Is this true? I just want to do whats right for my rabbit. I also googled this and didn't find anything on it. Thanks !!

From what I have read, rabbits can't throw up. So that may be false all together. Also rabbits, especially babies under six months should eat only pellets and hay. I do however give mine a few veggies here and there. I think your friend is misinformed because 6 months of age is the age in which its said to be safe to give veggies. You're doing the correct thing. Your friend is doing the wrong thing and if she is not feeding pellets then what exactly is she feeding?

It can depend on the quality of pellets I would guess. If the pellet is very dusty then i would think it could be aspirated. I have not heard of any thing like this and we have never experienced this with any of our oh 50 or so babies of varying breeds.

Pellets are a great feed source but if she had a bad experience with it I don't think there is anything you could say to change her mind. If you feel comfortable with your feeding process then I'd say stick with what works for your bun.

melbaby80 wrote:
From what I have read, rabbits can't throw up. So that may be false all together. Also rabbits, especially babies under six months should eat only pellets and hay. I do however give mine a few veggies here and there.  I think your friend is misinformed because 6 months of age is the age in which its said to be safe to give veggies. You're doing the correct thing. Your friend is doing the wrong thing and if she is not feeding pellets then what exactly is she feeding?

Aspirating is not throwing up. It is "When solids or liquids that should be swallowed into the stomach are instead breathed into the respiratory system"
http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/aspiration

And rabbits can sure aspirate which is what you have to be careful from doing when hand rearing baby bunnies

Thankyou for the reply's :) I think I will stick with what is working for my bunny. I was worried when I heard that because I thought I was doing the wrong thing. Thank you so much :) My bunny is doing awesome with what I am feeding him so I will most definitley stick with it :)

Hay has little nutrients, so an all-hay diet isn't healthy, especially for what should be a growing youngster. Hopefully your friend will notice her bunny is becoming all skin & bones & reassess her decision.

Latest posts

Back