No milk!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dainerra

Reaction score
I lost one today... not the runt though.

I came home and there was a dead kit dragged into the yard. I opened the sleeping area and all the kits were cold and out of the nest. They hadn't been fed and were crawling all over. I think that is how the one ended up outside.

I warmed them a little and then held Twilight so that they could nurse. They suckled, but NO MILK!! As soon as I let go of her, she growled and starting jumping on the kits.

So they are now nested in a cookie box and in my bedroom. I got some milk replacer and they ate like champs.
I got a couple to potty.. Any tips on how to accomplish that, exactly?

Are you asking how to get them to potty? If so just rub there area with a warm rag until they tinkle you just need to stimulate them like mom would do.

I raised a kitten from 2 days old.

I used to have to wake up every two hours to feed and make him go to the washroom (like someone else said, you need a damp warm rag and you rub it in a circular motion down below. I had to make him pee and poop. You can also warm up baby wipes... I personally find the microwaved baby wipes the easiest.

I also found it easier to use a syringe to feed them at first (only a few days, but if yours can take the bottle now, then no worries) I did this since he was too small for the baby bottle top.

I also keep warmed up ice packs for lunch boxes under a blanket to keep them warm. Make sure you keep it to one side so they can move. Also make sure there is a blanket in between so that it doesn't burn them.

I had a vet say he wouldn't make it and that it was really hard to do... But I did it. Mind you.. I had one, you have a lot more on your hands.

I wish you luck.

Babies are in with mom again.. it seems she has SOME milk. So I will be feeding them once a day if necessary.

Oops wrong button. My friend came over and checked her out as well as the dead kit. She said it is possible (probable) that it just died and she pulled it from the nest. Might be that she was also trying to move the others.
We cleaned out the old hay and fur and made her a new nest.
Keep your fingers crossed! It is odd that I was worried about the runt - the kit that died was the biggest of the lot.

I bought embilac - my vet does wildlife rehab and said it is what they raise baby bunnies on?

update...everyone seems fat and happy this morning.
did warm compresses last night (on grandma's advice) and Twilight is flowing with milk. She advised that I do it 2X a day and that will fix the problem.

babies are fat and happy this morning. we also put in some extra 2x4s in the hutch area to insure that the little ones can't crawl too far from the nest, just in case that is what happened to the one yesterday. I need to get some new pictures in the gallery - they have hair and are starting to look like "real" bunnies

Latest posts

Back