no like hay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosalie

Reaction score
I've tried Timothy hay and I bought some alfalfa today and she wont eat that either =S I orderd some orchard grass but what am I suppose to do if i cant get her to eat it how do i get her to try it

Another one I have read is Oat hay, but I am not sure about that type of hay. Oxbow make Organic Meadow Hay and a Botanical Hay. I would also try hay cubes.

Does she have any problems with her teeth? How do you usually put the hay in her cage/home?

i bought regular timothy hay , regular alfalfa hay, and alfalfa cubes she wont eat any of it the people that had her before didnt feed her anything but pellets and i've fed her some pellets and offered those hays and romaine lettuce she loves romaine lettuce

We only give ours pellets in the evening with their veggies. They have hay all day and night and consume quite a bit. The only one that didn't when we first acquired him was Peter. Cut down on his pellet, as that was all he'd eat and he started to eat hay and does so now with great gusto.

Are you offering her unlimited pellets? How old is she? Full-grown rabbits should be offered a limited amount of low-protein pellets. If she likes pellets and she's used to getting all she wants, she may just not be motivated to try the hay.

no, 4.5 months I give her a little bit of pellets in the morning and a little at night and she has a thing with alfalfa hay set out and timothy hay but she wont touch the timothy at all but she finally ate a tiny bit of the alfafa

I have problems getting Rocky to eat hay also. this probably wont help but he started eating hay after he had the snip and was a bit unwell and it was comforting for him to chew on hay as it takes a long time to chew and it eased his stomach a bit.

if you can get some good meadow hay or any other good grass hay try different ways of feeding it to her. I tried a hay rack that goes on the outside of his cage, a little hay rack inside, and other things but he wouldnt eat it until I stacked a little at one end of his litter tray and put a bit in the corner of his cage so he could rummage around in it.

Hershey doesn't like hat either. I give him unlimited leafy veggies. The vet said that was ok. I buy them in the winter, but during the rest of the year I pick weeds for him. I also dry some weeds in the sun, and use that for his "hay" in the winter.

Slowly decrease pellets, try fresh (clean) grass (pulled, not cut), slowly introduce veggies.

Stuffng hay in empty paper towel or toilet paper rolls might help, following Kizza's advice.

Pipp only eats veggies and pellets, she refuses hay, and not eating hay has caused dental and GI issues, so I really had to step up the veggies. (See the salad on my avatar).

But slowly decreasing the pellets, increasing a mix of alfalfa and timothy and giving her a wide variety of veggies, grass and weeds (without pesticides or dog/wildlife waste) should work. (Good advice on that from Golfdiva).

sas :bunnydance:

My kids won't eat store bought hay, but love the timothy hay I get in a bale from a horse farm down the road. I have to refil a whole flake daily. Is there any way you can try fresh baled hay? (It's also much cheeper, I get a 60 pound bale for $7)

TheJadeRabbit wrote:
Does she have any problems with her teeth? How do you usually put the hay in her cage/home?

I am not trying to be a butt or anything. But I never got an answer to these two questions.

Does she have any problems with teeth?

How do you put the hay in there? Loose? In a tube? In a Hay rack?

TheJadeRabbit wrote:
TheJadeRabbit wrote:

I am not trying to be a butt or anything. But I never got an answer to these two questions.

Does she have any problems with teeth?

How do you put the hay in there? Loose? In a tube? In a Hay rack?

Sorry I didnt see it no she doesnt have any problems with her teeth and i put some in a papertowel tube some loose some in a hay rack and some in a hanging toy

Latest posts

Back