No hair on chest

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lover4daisy

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have not been on in quite a while. And I have two questions.....

The other day when I went to go feed my rabbit, I noticed that there was a big patch of fur missing from just below her neck 6-8 inches. No, she is not pregnant. Please help. My mom said that it was just her shedding, but I looks like she was shaved in that area.

I feed my rabbit daily, and yesterday I fed her, watered her, gave her hay and treat. Today when I went down there some of the food was still there. Probably half of it. Is this something I should seriously be watching, or was she just not hungry?

Thanks for using your time to read this! <3

A couple of things you can look for: the bald patch-is the skin red, flaky, scaly or can you see anything that looks like brown specks? Maybe she's pulling it out, that's always a possibility too if she's not spayed she might be doing the false pregnancy thing and making a nest with her fur?

As far as not eating, watch her poops for colour, consistency to see if they're normal. Check her bum, make sure there's no poopy butt happening. Watch for activity level, water drinking and just overall behaviour.

Limit all sugary, carb treats. Stick with hay and water if you think she might be sick.

But above all, if she's not eating for more than 8 hours, or if not pooping or if the poops are smaller, I'd bring her in to the vet if possible, as she might be in GI stasis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, Thank you so much! I will go inspect her now and give her more hay. Again, that you soooooooo much! <3

If she is pulling the fur herself than depending on the hutch she is in you should see a lot of the fur in the hutch. If she is intact and going though a false pregnancy she may build a nest if she is pulling fur so you may see this in the hutch as well. She may also use hay or other materials to build a nest as well.

My one girl has gone through this and likes to build a nest in the corner of her litter box. I have noticed that when she is the process of building a nest she will become conflicted wanting to build her nest and yet wanting to eat although with her the desire to eat has always won out after a few minutes and the time she spends building a nest has never lasted for more than a few hours.

I do agree with above to keep an eye on her poo and her behavior. Look for signs of pain or not eating, change in poo or a difference in her behavior.

Latest posts

Back