No back toe nails!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hillsberry

Reaction score
I have a year and a half old Lionhead Rabbit that has no back toe nails. I just noticed it today when I went to cut his nails. The nails are completely gone all the way down to his skin. I got him from a pet store when he was about 8 weeks old. I have always noticed his back feet have pronated outward. I don't know if this is some kind of inbreeding problem or not. He does play with our other rabbit everyday, she is a female and they are both fixed. We called the vet and they will be getting back to us shortly whether or not they think we should bring him in or not. Please let me know if you have ever hear or seen anything like this. Thank you for your time.

A number of things could have happened to the nails. Sometimes it's a nestbox injury. Some does will over groom their kits after they're born which can result in the loss of limbs, ears, toes, etc. Since he was only 8 weeks old at the time, this would be my guess.

Did he have toenails when you first got him?
Have you cut his nails before, or was this the first time in doing it?
In the year and a half that you've had him, have you noticed his toenails before?

If he had nails before now and you've cut them before, I'd say maybe it was an injury. What is his cage like? Is there something for him to get his feet/nails snagged on, to break them off?

But if he didn't have nails before now I would agree with Julie, that maybe his mother over-groomed when he was a kit and took his toenails or part of his toes. Don't rabbits bite their own toenails too, if they're too long?

He had all his toe nails before. I have cut his nails before, but his back nails have always been shaped weird. They would turn outward even when cut. He runs around all day on a carpet floor. His has nothing to get his feet snagged on. He is on a recycled newspaper bedding.

Oh, I thought you meant he had never had back toenails. I'd probably take him into the vet then. I could brainstorm a lot of possibilities, but having someone take a look in person would be a better way to go about it. The vet should be able to tell what happened based on what the remaining toes/feet look like.

He should be okay! :) It's just good to have it checked out and see if there's any way to help the situation. Let us know how it goes!

Latest posts

Back