Nipping

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcottonl02

Reaction score
It's quite strange. I have had Benji for about a year now, and he has been neutered for just over a year (he is a year and a half).

He is the most affectionate, most loving little guy, and he is constantly licking me- all the time. We sort of take it in turns to groom...I'll stroke him for a few minutes, then I'll put my hand under his nose and he will lick me for a few minutes. Then he will stop and shove his head under my hand for more strokes.

It goes on like this for perhaps half an hour or more.

Sometimes, though, when I place my hand under his nose, he will nip me- not particularly hard- and then he will start licking me again.

What is he doing? I heard that rabbits can't see infront of their noses, so they nip things that are there to check what they are. Is that what he is doing? Or is this behavioural?

Thanks

I have a girl that will do the same (the grooming + occasional nipping) - and she'll literally stop and then get extra-licky, by way of (I think) apology. My guess is that at times, she forgets about not using her teeth on humans - quite literally. (Keeping in mind that buns do use their teeth a bit when grooming each other.)

and if your hands happen to smell like something tasty, the odds of an accidental nip go up quite a bit. :)

Edited to add: your guess re. buns having a "blind spot" due to the placement of their eyes is also correct!

your bun may be nipping to re-establish that he's the dominant one in the relationship, if he always gets groomed first and you're upsetting the grooming order. also, it may be a "love bite" if it's not particularly hard, as ec said.

Ahh I see :p

That makes me happier! Aww bless a "love bite". Yes....cos he definately doesn't seem miffed with me when he does it, but I couldn't be sure. I thought it might be a bit offensive to rabbits to demand it's your turn for a groom or something!!!! lol

They use their teeth to groom? Didn't know that.....maybe that's what it is then.

Or like someone mentioned...the blind spot. Maybe he is checking what's there?

Anyway that's good.
Thankies u two

Jen x

Nibbles and I go through the same routine that you describe, with me giving her head pets, then requesting a bit of grooming and so on, though generally if she doesn't wanto to groom me, she just won't do it, or will give me a few *very* grudging, half-hearted licks. (That's to let me know that I'm supposed to pet her a bit more... ;))

And yes, buns do groom each other with teeth as well as by licking - I think there's something about that on the Language of Lagomorphs site (http://www.paperglyphs.com/rabbits/rabbittalk_intro.html ) as well as in various threads on this site. You might want to check in the Rabbit References section for more info.

Without knowing Benji, I can't be 100% sure of what he's doing, of course - but your description sounds *so* familiar that I'm pretty certain that's what's going on. And I've noticed that Nibbles is more apt to use her teeth a bit if my fingers smell like something she'd like to eat. :)

That definately sounds like Benji! Lol isn't it adorable?
And Pippin is becoming more and more like that- he was much more timid at first, but over the months he has become more and more confident, and has started doing the "taking in turns to groom each other" routine.

Every time Benji nips me for a split second I am worried, but then I realise that it was the lightest nip possible, so he is probably not being aggressive, which you have just convinced me he's not :D

Maybe it's my hands too actually....becuase I do usually give them a nibble when they come inside- perhaps a chunk of carrot or something. It's part of a routine I used to do so that they knew coming inside was a good thing, even if it was out of the safety of their hutch. Hopefully now, seeing as they are inside a lot, they associate inside with safe too, but I still give them the treat, so my hands could smell of that?

I bet the treat smell on your hands has a lot to do with it, though my bun will sometimes nibble me a bit (very gently) out of affection. (She likes to dig on my feet/shoes a bit and pull on my socks and pant legs for much the same reason; also as an attention-getting behavior.)

I usually try to wash my hands before petting if I've been handling something tasty, but I don't always remember - and sometimes it isn't practical. If that's the case, I might get nibbled on a bit, but usually there's a lot of enthusiastic licking. (if I've just given my bun a bit of banana, it's both - she has to get every single molecule of banana off my hands! :D)

it sounds like Benji is very happy with you and is showing his affection by treating you as if you were another bun - that's quite a compliment!

Edited to add: I'm sure your shyer boy will keep coming around - it sounds like he knows he's loved a lot and feels safe with you.

Aww thanks so much- I love them both so dearly.

And thanks for ur advice- it's been really helpful! I'll try and remember to wash my hands before I get them out! :D

Yeah they both seem to dig on me every now and again too, and it's usually on my stomach so it's a tad painful, but I assumed it was a nice thing so I didn't stop them.

:biggrin2:Ur bun sounds like a rite cutie!!!!

Glad I was able to help! Sometimes their actions are baffling, but then, I'm sure they feel the same way about us. ;)

And yes, Nibbles is amazingly cute (I think) - quite sassy and naughty, but also very sweet - a *lot* of personality in a tiny body.

Your boys sound very sweet - and endearing, too!

Latest posts

Back