Nimue might have Tapeworm

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NOT that itsfunny but this is one of the reasons ihave a bottle of hand sanitizer on everycage and a spray bottle of Listeriene tospray down feet that comeinto my garage where my rabbitsare , with a herd like mine i always erron the side of caution .

Awww poor baby, yes by all means hold em andlove him lots, just maintain proper hand washing techniques.Good luck poor thing.

ayglnu13 wrote:
To hold or not to hold....that is the question :D Iwant to hold my baby but I also don't want to get tapeworm :shock: whatshould I do....??? I would feel HORRIBLE if he has to sit in his boringol' cage for a week or two...:?

~Amy
Hold. Just remember to wash your hands thoroughly after handling him ofany items in his cage. If you are really worried get a handwash with anti bacterial . I think you will find that itsnothing to worry about. I would call your vet asap, don't worry aboutpestering them there there for you!! Ask your vet to do aring worm test, just to be on the safe side. hope he gets better soon

gypsy wrote:
NOT that its funny but this is one of the reasons i have abottle of hand sanitizer on every cage and a spray bottle of Listerieneto spray down feet that come into my garage where my rabbits are , witha herd like mine i always err on the side of caution .

Listeriene....like the mouth wash?????
:D It is just a funny visual picture :)
~Amy

YES! themouth wash lol notreally funny but yesit kills all sorts of nasties , I learnedthis while getting a tattoo a while ago ,the guy sparayed it and imediately i knew whatit was and asked whyhe used it ? i was naturallycurious , he saidthere is nothing better for killinggerms than Listeriene , theressomething in it that kills allthe nasties , it worked forhim so I use it allthe time lol . so now i havethe freshest teeth in the sneakerworld lol seriously thoit does work .

NopeListeriene has very little sugars in it ,have you ever tasted that stuff?

its nasty enough to chase anything away

We too have battled the tapeworms. We rescuedour bunny from the yard--the vet estimates he was loose for a few weeksto a few months based on how horrible his mite problem was. I found myfirst worm egg sack--it looks just like a segment of the tapeworm, amonth after Floppy came to live inside. Of course, I freaked out and wewere in the vet's office the next day (worms are icky--I couldn't standthe thought of them in the house). Since November he's had 3 shots forthem (we thought they were gone after the first two shots, but I foundthem again in Feb.). The house has been scrubbed many, many times sincethen!

I remember the vet saying that it was very unusual for me to find asegment like that--if Floppy wasn't still being a bad boy and poopingon the sofa, I never would have noticed. When the segments dry, theysort of look like seseme seeds and I've never been able to see one inthe litter box. According to the vet, the only way my fiance and Icould get tapeworms from this was if we ate the egg sack segment--sobasically, he told us not to eat off the floor and we'd be okay! I dokeep hand disinfectat around the house just in case. We never saw askin rash.

I agree with everyone else--ringworms probably a better bet.

OMG! Beckers i was readingthat and burst outlaughing some vetsyou have to love heir sense ofhumor. * dont eat off the floor *im sorry ehhem * ok im better now, WOW you were lucky to havefoubd a sack like thatthankfully they hadnt hatched out as yet , usuallythe cycle dictates eggsack,sepertion to individual eggs thenout right attack of the animal , Im thinking wherehe had had 2 priorshots itmanaged to flush it out fefore it hit theseperation stage , WHat luck youyou and your r abbit .

How is he feeling btw , ?

When I read your post again, I think you may have misunderstood what your vet said.

You had posted:
First she did a skin scrape of the area to look at it underthe microscope, and then she took a chunk of hair from around that areaand stuck it in this box thing with a window that will turn red if hehas tapeworm.

The above would have been a test most certainly for"ringworm", a fungal infection of the skin and most certainly *NOT* fortapeworms -- which I am thinking that your vet does not suspect in theleast.

(Reading through again -- I see that Rabbitgirl also made this point).

Pam

Thanks every one for your replies!!! I really do appreciate it!

If it isnt ringworm....and it isnt tapeworm....then how could he havegotten this big cut? The thing I hate most about it is the fact that Idont know what is causing it or how it happend...:)

~Amy

I hope Nimue just has a little cut and that theredness wasjust from him scratching it. Our 1st rabbit hadringworm at one time. We had to put a cream on it and keepthe area dry and clean.

Ya I have to put ointment on it twice aday :D I think he likes it though cuz everytime he sees it he comesrunning over and puts his head down. It must make it feel better :)

~Amy

ayglnu13 wrote:
Thanks every one for your replies!!! I really do appreciate it!

If it isnt ringworm....and it isnt tapeworm....then how could he havegotten this big cut? The thing I hate most about it is the fact that Idont know what is causing it or how it happend...:)

~Amy

Is it actually a cut into the flesh? (That's what it lookedlike in the photo, but it was hard to tell. Tapeworm wouldn'tcause a flesh wound like that. Ringworm would onlycause a wound due to a secondary bacterial infection.

From the photo, it appears that he may have just injured it on something.

Pam

I agree with everyone else that it's more likelyto be ringworm, not tapeworm. With tapeworm, you can seelittle white flecks (kinda like sprinkles) in the poop. Also,it's totally internal, so testing the skin won't test fortapeworm. I'm thinking your vet might have miss spoken.

Make sure you wash your hands after touching that area on Nimue, youcan catch ringworm from touching it. Ringworm is highlycontagious.

My cat had a similar thing happen on her neck -- bald spot, then red,then a huge scab. First my vet thought it might be from thedogs, but we knew that wasn't right. Then he ran a swab, butcouldn't come up with a diagnosis. Now we've realized it's areoccurring thing, so we're thinking it's an allergy.

Jen

"Warbles" (bot fly larvae) can also cause a scabaround the head/neck area. You would generally see thebreathing hole (unless the larvae has dropped out and the hole ishealing up. (I don't think that this case is a warble though).

Pam

Latest posts

Back