Nigel

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Usagi_Chan

Reaction score
main.php
I'm not new but Nigel is. I volunteer at the SPCA and one Saturday this last April I came in to do my Saturday shift and found a cute little grey bunny who had terribly matted hair. I wasn't sure of the breed but later looked him up and figured out that he's a Jersey Wooly:
main.php

main.php
nigel.jpg

He's just a tad large for the breed since the standard requires that they be less than 3 1/2 pounds. Nigel weighs in at 3 lbs 12 oz.

During my 4-hr shift I combed him out non-stop. Still he was horribly matted. I decided the next day that I would take him as a foster for a few days so I could comb out all the snarls.

For a few days I combed and he gratefully licked my hand all the time I was combing him. He seemed to know how to win my love and a new home for himself. In May I formalized the adoption... I rather believe it was he who adopted me :)

Since he has been the most incredible bunny I've ever known and as an SPCA volunteer who works with their bunnies, I have known a large number of rabbits. I love Thumper and Pegasus for their individuality and Nigel for his. He loves to be held. I now tuck him under my arm like a football and take him everywhere I go. He shops, goes to the Dr, visiting friends and relatives etc. Very nearly everyone loves him. Thumper and Pegasus, like most bunnies will travel but are just as happy to be home-bodies.

Nigel also is very affectionate. He likes to be held flat against my chest, high up so he can lick my neck and face. He licks a LOT! He's not just a one-person bunny, either. I live in Sr Housing and other tenants love to hold him because he'll "kiss" and snuggle with them as well.

I tried bonding him with Pegasus and Thumper. When I thought Thumper had accepted him, I put him in their area. Thumper and Nigel got into it very quickly. They fought under the table where I could not get to them quickly enough. I ended up taking Thumper to the animal ER and having her sewed up. I suspect she started it but she's a Rex and has little fur for protection. All she got from Nigel was a mouthful of fur so she looked like whe had a silly grey moustach. She sustained a tear on one side of her. $350 later and somewhat the wiser, I decided that it might be better just to keep them apart. I also rationalized this with the fact that Nigel was so affectionate and I would hate for that characteristic to weaken and for him to transfer that wonderful affection to other bunnies, instead of people.

Beyond the kisses, Nigel loves to snuggle. I often take him in the living room and lay on the sofa watching TV while he snuggles up to me and then starts licking. He snuggles like that in everyone's arms also, pressing his head and body as close as he possibly can to whoever holds him. He's a lover. He's also wonderful therapy. He lifts your spirits when you're down.

Another thing is that he's a perfect gentleman. He never chews rugs, never chews cords and uses the litterbox faithfully though he does leave many pellets outside the box. I really don't mind those, though. The only thing hew does "wrong" is that he pees in the stroller that I have for the bunnies. I believe he's marking because he smells the other bunnies. He seems to be an alpha bunny and so is Thumper which I believe is why they got into it.

Thumper and Pegasus have the living room while Nigel has a rather large entryway into my place. They all get a good share of attention this way.

He does need a lot of brushing. That is another reason I adopted him. I feared that someone else wouldn't give him the attention that he requires. He doesn't like being laid on his back (trancing) so it's hard to get to his belly to get the snarls out there.

He is a bit of trouble because he needs a lot of combing. I found a very small comb and that seems to work best. Pin brushes just don't get deep enough. Obviously he's worth any trouble.

Many of my neighbors want him for their own. I tell them all that they can have him, but they'll have to kill me first :)

Wow what a lucky Bunny to have you as a Bunny Parent.

It sounds like you both hit the jackpot.

Need lots of pictures of all your bunnies. They are all ADORABLE.

Susan:)

Great Story!! You are so lucky to have Nigel!

I too volunteered at a shelter (bun specific) and saw MANY a bun come through and felt a tug of a heartstring many times but took in just 1 after a couple of years that "adopted me".

I really want to look forward to hearing of your gang; sounds like a great story.

Latest posts

Back