NIC cubes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

picklezon

Reaction score
ok i think there has already been a topic on this, i can't find where it was.

i was thinking i should get some for christmas, but i don't know wherethey're sold, and how much they cost most importantly. also are theysturdy?

thanks for your help!

I just built a condo for Drizzle in October andmine is really sturdy. I got my cubes from Walmart and they wererelatively inexpensive. Some people choose to use the connectors thatcome w/ the kits and also use zip ties around the grates for extrasupport. Target doesn't carry them as much anymore (usuallyaround College back to school they have a lot).

Here'ssome links that might help you:

http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/NIC.shtml

http://www.guineapigcages.com/cubes.htm

In Walmart, they were by the officesupplies/stationary department. However, sometime they are buy theshelving units as well. I'd check both places.

I think it depends where you are, but my Targethas a lot of them. They are located in the home supplies/ storagesection. Mine were on sale for 11.50 a box but I think theyre usually15.00 a box. You will need two boxes for a 3x2x2 condo (which is a goodsize for a single bunny of small-avg size.

I used the connectors that came with the shelves, just be sure theyresnapped real tight. I also use cable ties to support certain areas andfor the second level, its supported by a dowel rod and cable ties.Shelf supports (L-brackets) also work great as well.

Its overall very sturdy if you support it right. Heres a pic of Mr. Tumnus's condo:

Oh, and I used coroplast for the bottom and stick on tiles for the second level-with straw mats tied down so he doesnt slip.

Good Luck!

It actually was not too difficult. I think the hardest part was getting some of those darn connectors to push together.

If you get all the supplies in advance and get yourself a helper, itspretty simple. The nice part about these cages is that you can set itup specific to your bunny and you can play with all kinds of designs,since nothing is permanent.

Good Luck

Oh, and be sure to check out the threads in the resource center foreven more info:http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11792&forum_id=17

and the RO member thread, with pics andexamples:http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=15348&forum_id=1

LOL..I had to take it down because Tumnus keptfinding a way to rip it down and eat it. Its something from Chroniclesof Narnia that I interpreted for Mr. Tumnus (the bunny, not the fawn).:D

Im crazy, I know. Right now he has pics of Soooska's Daisy Mae (his long distance girlfriend) in his cage :)

Oh my...how adorable. I just wanna SQUEEZE Mr. Tumnus!! He's just too adorable for words...:D

As for our NIC cages (or should I say palaces...hehe), we got our NICpanels from Target (and they seem to always be on sale when we shop forthem). We just expanded on Flower's cage a couple months ago,and when we originally built each of their cages, they were differenttimes of this year as well, and I've never had a problem finding themthere. I think that sort of thing depends on your area.

The best idea, like Haley mentioned, is to make sure you haveeverything and a helper (to hold things in place while you attachthem), and things will run smoothly.

I attached our babe's panels with zip ties (we bought a 1,000 bagfull), which we found to be easier than the round connectors that comewith the panels, and we used pegboard (cut to fit for free at HomeDepot, or any other hardware store). The good thing about thepegboard is that if your bun samples it, it won't harm him...that andthe holes and putting it rough-side-up makes for a much less slipperyfloor. Not to mention that pegboard is quiteinexpensive...which I always like! :D

A good way to make sure that you have everything is to plan outeverything (I even did some drawings to make sure we had enough panels,and had a floorplan of how the cage should look), possibly even make alist of what needs to be purchased, etc. Thankfully, I have ahusband that's quite handy at planning and setting up things likethat. :)

Anyway, let us know know it goes, okay? Be sure to provide pictures, too! :D

Hugs!

Rosie*

P.S. Also feel absolutely free to ask questions aboutdifferent ways to do things. We're here to help you build theperfect bunny condo for you and your buns! :)

I love all the NIC condos you guys have!:) Iwish I had one, but I'm not allowed to have my bunnies in thehouse...:growl::rollseyes

Michaela and the girls:brownbunny:brownbunny:brownbunny

I know I'm in Canada, but I got my NIC cubes at Home Depot. In the shelving dept.

DSC00549.jpg

Back