NIC cages

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spoh

Reaction score
Okay what I am wondering is if anybody has discovered an arrangement for NIC cages that seems to work the best as far as litter training, sleeping,CLEANINGetc......

Lucy has a three level condo, the top level is carpeted and that is where is likes her hay and where she sleeps but lately I have been finding more and more potty up there which I can't clean good because of the carpet. Her litter box and food are on the bottom level but here too I keep finding more and more potty that is not in the litter box, right now she has three litter boxes on the bottom level which is only 2X3 nic cubes so pretty much the whole lower level is litter box. The second level is not used other than as a means to get to the 3rd level. The reason that I have put the hay on the 3rd level is because with this particular set up it is the easiest for refilling, I just lift up the lid and add it to the rack. If it is on the first level with the litter boxes I have to pretty much climb into the cage to fill the hayrack.

I have two new boxes of NIC cubes plus some left oversso I want to start building her a new one, I won't be in a big hurry because she can stay in the old one while I build the new one. I want to find something new to use instead of the carpet too but with all of the potty mishaps I'm not really comfortable using peg board because the wood will just get wet and I assume smelly. Right now the first level is linolium tiles which is fine but they are slippery so they have to be covered with something. I have her current cage on a platform that could fit something as big as 4 X 2 cubes and as high as I want it.

I will go and look at some pics of NIC cages but I thought if anybody had any ingenius ideas I would love to hear them.

Thanks a bunch,

Joy

I don't really have any ideas for you on how to configure the setup (sorry) but I do have a flooring idea for you. In Henri's cage, I used wallboard that I got at Lowes. It is the stuff that is made for the bathroom walls around the tub so it is easy to clean but it also had a texture to it so I haven't had any problems with Henri slipping around on it. I can't remember the exact name of the stuff though. It is about 1/8" thick so it adequately protects their feet but it is also still bendable so it is easy to just take the whole floor of his cage out to clean it. I don't know if your bun chews or not but Henri doesn't tend to chew things so I haven't had to worry about that.

I think wallboard is what I have too. I went in with the intention of doing wood & peel&stick tiles, then we came across this stuff and it's great!
I haven't had any issues with chewing it either, at least not yet.

As far as the setup, I have mine so the entire front wall of my cage and half of the top can act as doors. This makes it really easy for me to really open up the cages.
Here are some pictures.
CIMG1062.jpg

CIMG1061.jpg

CIMG1063.jpg

CIMG1060.jpg

CIMG1068.jpg

Yep, that's what I was talking about for the flooring! I can't tell in the pictures. . . . what do you use to secure the doors? I have the biggest problem keeping Henri in his cage because basically everything I have tried so far to secure the doors, he has been able to break through.

Last edited by a moderator:
angoragrl wrote:
Yep, that's what I was talking about for the flooring! I can't tell in the pictures. . . . what do you use to secure the doors? I have the biggest problem keeping Henri in his cage because basically everything I have tried so far to secure the doors, he has been able to break through.

Great idea for flooring! Two questions for you, how does it come and is it easy to cut? That at least solves one of my issues.

Thanks so much, I can't wait to get started

Joy

Snuggys Mom wrote:
angoragrl wrote:
. . . . what do you use to secure the doors? I have the biggest problem keeping Henri in his cage because basically everything I have tried so far to secure the doors, he has been able to break through.

Have you tried spring clips? Those work great for us and they come in different sizes.

http://www.amazon.com/4-2-Plastic-Spring-Clamp/dp/B0009TAH4G/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1200074393&sr=1-16
No I haven't tried those yet. . . They look promising. Hopefully I can find some at Lowes on my way home tonight!

Last edited by a moderator:
spoh wrote:
angoragrl wrote:

Great idea for flooring! Two questions for you, how does it come and is it easy to cut? That at least solves one of my issues.

Thanks so much, I can't wait to get started

Joy
It comes in sheets that are about the same size as a sheet of drywall (atleast that's how I got it). I didn't have a problem getting it home though because you can just roll it up to throw in the car. It's pretty easy to cut, I would do it outside if you could and use a utility knife. I only say outside because you probably don't want to use a hard surface to cut it on because it is thin and you might break the tip of your blade and you definately wouldn't want to cut it on your carpet because you will likely cut through to the carpet if you do.

It comes in 4' x 8' sheets. We bought two kinds. One was a bit stiffer and more textured. We just put that whole sheet on the floor and set the cages on top. The excess is under our couch. It is probably possible to cut it, but I didn't try because I didn't need to. That sheet cost us $30.
The sheet we used for shelves was easier to roll and thinner. It was $20. It is more textured on one side than the other, but not as textured as the floor sheet. We cut it with a utility knife on top of a metal oil pan we have... otherwise we would have cut into our actual floor. It took a bit of effort, but my mom & I were able to do it. I used a yardstick to draw out where I wanted to cut, then used it as a straightedge and ran the knife along next to it. That scores it. Then I kind of folded it along the score and ran the kinfe perpindicular to it, slicing through from the edge, if that makes any sense at all.
I have to take back what I said about chewing. I just noticed Timmy has nibbled the free edge of his sort of step-stool shelf. Not much though.
My top shelf can stay in place because I have part of a NIC cube sticking up to support the litterbox and shelf and such, so it fits in snugly. The one on the smaller shelf I cut 8 holes in (2 next to eacother) and zip-tied to the shelf.

I use carabiner clips to keep my cage closed. I have 5 at least on each cage. They're fast and easy and they work really well. I got my first sets from Target, but they were no longer for sale when I went back for more so I got more from the Home Depot for $0.99 each. Look near the keychains. They sell some expensive ones that can hold 250 lbs and such, but that's not necessary.

Well, Home Depot and Lowe's both only had the heavy type which there was know way that I could get into my car and I didn't want to wait for somebody else to be available to help me so I bought a package of 4 of the foam type mats that go together like puzzle pieces. Somebody else uses them, I can't remember who though. They worked great, the four together in a square were to big for my area so I cut two of them in half which was very easy. I also went to a carpet store and bought a bunch of carpets samples for $1 each to use on the two levels. I wasn't planning on using carpet but for $1 they are easy enough to swap out if she pees them up. I think we will be fine since I put her hay in a litter box on the bottom level instead of up on the third level so hopefully she won't potty up there.I put her blanket and stuffed bunny up there, I'm hoping she will adopt it as her sleeping area again but so far I haven't seen her up there.

Thanks for your advice,

Joy

Latest posts

Back