NIC Cage Warning About Levels

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evey

Reaction score
Two of my bonded bunnies, Mr. Evey and Duchess, have lived in the same two-story condo for almost two years when the accident happened. Before I talk about Mr. Evey's injury, I would like to describe their top level and show some pictures.

The top level consisted of tiles on top of the grid panels. However, the tile did not completely cover the entire panel. Because of this, I always placed blankets or grass mats to cover the gaps near the edge.

Some examples...

Bunnies113.jpg

Bunnies060.jpg

As you can see, therewas still a tiny gapnear the edge. I honestly didn't think it would pose a problem because I had a dowel rod underneath the edge for support. So, in reality, there was only areally tinygap available.

Well, about two weeks ago, I woke up and started to feed pellets to my bunnies when I saw Mr. Evey hanging upside down from the top level. He was completely still so naturally I first thought he was dead. His hind right leg was stuck in the gap and his head was about an inch from the ground. Upon further investigation, I noticed that he was breathing, and I called my dad to help me get him out of there because I was so afraid that he would begin thrashing around. Once my dad safely got him out of the situation, I called the vet. Mr. Evey wasn't able to move his leg, only drag it so the vet took some X-rays to determine if he broke it or his back. Thankfully, nothing was broken, but he most likely has some nerve damage.

After a week on Metacam--and now a one-story cage--he is acting like himself again. His leg still isn't back to normal, but he is definitely moving around quite well. I just wanted to put this warning out there because I know I've seen other cages like mine on here. I really want to help prevent this from happening to anyone else. I just feel SO lucky that it wasn't anything worse than what it was.

Kathy

Oh my gosh :( Im sorry you had to wake up to this but im glad he is up and moving and is okay. I have a two level NIC cage also but i cover it completely with carpet and havent had problems with it. If your bunnies enjoyed the second level im sure there is a way to prevent this from happening again so they can have their levels back..

Thank you so much for sharing this with all of us, Kathy. All the more reason for everyone to double check their setups, and seal all flooring gaps.

To do so, you can use thick woven materials like placemates/burlap. Pot a solid piece of whatever under it, the wrap the fabric around the edge of the NIC.. like wrapping a gift. Stab it through with a ziptie, and pull really tight.

Best wishes to Mr.Evey for a rapid recovery (hugs)... he's lucky he's got such a fast owner!

Oh no!
I am glad Mr. Evey is on the mend, and he's very lucky that you found him when you did. That must have been scary, for both of you.

Thank you for posting the warning, too.

Thank you, everyone! Hopefully once he is better they may be able to have a second level (maybe w/ a ramp?).

I hope I didn't freakanyone out though! I just wanted to help others take some preventative measures tomake sure their cages are safe.I have two other NIC condos that now have pegboard instead of the tiles, and I think that works very well because there are no gaps.

Kathy

Back