NIC cage question and litter tip!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stanza

Reaction score
Hello :)

I am basically all moved in to the new place and have built flops a bunny condo.

I would like to eventually let him free roam again once he is properly litter trained, so were in the process! But I am wondering if it will interfere with the training if I let him roam around the basement for a little while..?

My other question: would this bunny condo be safe without a roof?

I put the wide grids on the top thinking that he couldn't reach them but I was wrong:expressionlessso I have pillows covering them for now.

bunnycondo.jpg

Thanks! And thank goodness for this forum!

If he is not apt to jump or climb over, you could do without a roof. I would no be able to put Koor is a 2 high cage without a roof for long.
Maybe you could use the grids with the large holes on the part of the run near the wall and use those small ones for the roof.

Be prepared as he might decide one day that the space is too small and that he can jump over 1 grid to escape. Once they figure out they can jump 1 grid to get out, you can't keep them in unless you make it taller.

Yeah, the run is actually meant to go around my bed for when he is able to come out so he cant get under it.
But I figure I will just wait to see if he can escape.

And I'm just not sure if he would ever try to get out of the top.
Sometimes he can be really brave but most times he's veeerry cautouse! lol

Do you think he could hurt himself trying to climb out the top of it?
That's my main worry.

My NIC cage is 2 panels high in some areas and 3 high in areas where there are things the bunny can climb on. My cage does not have a roof and my bun has never gotten out. I would have at least 2 panels high from the floor or 2 from an area they can get on. But every bun is different. If your bun doesn't jump over 1 panel, I would leave it like it is.

I would let the bunny run around the basement for a short time and see how he does. When I litter trained my rabbits. They would go back to their cage to go to the bathroom when I let them out. Are you going to open the nic cage for him to go to the bathroom or put another litter box in the basement? If he is doing good going to the bathroom in the nic cage, hopefully if you open the cage when you let him out, he will go back there to go the bathroom.

I'm just not sure if he would actually do that.
He used to be a freeroam bunny and started to do a few piles here and there outside of the box, and this is only his 3rd day here. So it might be too soon, I just want him to be able to run around a bit! also he was only neutered around 2 weeks ago.

But I would put a box in the basement because the cage is in my room upstairs.

Latest posts

Back