NIC cage dilema

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JjGoesBounce

Reaction score
Hi it's Jj and Pembrooke!

Well I've been thinking about building Pembrooke a NIC cage because the one right now is adequate but the wood is starting to smell. So I've fallen head over heels wanting a NIC cage, it's absolutely perfect! But my dad isn't hooked. He thinks the one right now is perfect but it's NOT!:grumpy:All I want is Pembrooke to be happy and a nice NIC cage...:innocent

If anyone can give me helpful tips and comments on having one? I'd then pass them on to my dad who would realize it was a wonderful idea and that Pembrooke would be much better off!;)

It'd be very helpful so thank you if you can provide some comments, preferably good.

Jj

Has your dad smelled the current one?

Is it a matter of money, he doesn't want to pay for one? Or he doesn't want you to pay for one?

Another couple options are an xpen or an xl dog crate. Both imo are more attractive, which I've heard of being a factor. With the xpen and NIC cage, you'll need something for the floor of the pen and any levels you add in the the NIC, so make sure you add that into the total. (If you have carpet or hardwood floors, that is)

ETA- you can also tell him humans have 5-6 million olfactory receptors, and rabbits have 100 million. So if you're smelling it, that poor rabbit must be REALLY smelling it.

LakeCondo wrote:
Could you show a pic of what you've got now.
15899_131650_040000002.jpg

She can take four hops to get to the front and four to get to the back

OneTwoThree wrote:
Has your dad smelled the current one?
I just cleaned it and the smell went away so :)
Is it a matter of money, he doesn't want to pay for one? Or he doesn't want you to pay for one?
No. I've saved up a lot of money so I'm willing to pay for it all.
Another couple options are an xpen or an xl dog crate. Both imo are more attractive, which I've heard of being a factor. With the xpen and NIC cage, you'll need something for the floor of the pen and any levels you add in the the NIC, so make sure you add that into the total. (If you have carpet or hardwood floors, that is)
I think my dad would freak if we got another dog crate. We've got safe flooring but what would be a good idea for the levels?
ETA- you can also tell him humans have 5-6 million olfactory receptors, and rabbits have 100 million. So if you're smelling it, that poor rabbit must be REALLY smelling it.
Oh no! I feel so bad! Poor Pembrooke!:cry2But the smell is gone now!
Thank you both LakeCondo and OneTwoThree for replying! I hope others will to!

Is there a reason you don't litter train Pembrooke? That will help a lot with the smell and save money on shavings!

I've heard of wooden dowels and plywood covered in linoleum or rug reminents for levels :)

So the smell doesn't become a problem again, you could get a sheet of linoleum or whatever & cut pieces the size of the wood & lay the pieces over it, once you've scrubbed it down again thoroughly. Or [but not as good] just line it with pieces of cardboard & change them frequently.

OneTwoThree wrote:
Is there a reason you don't litter train Pembrooke? That will help a lot with the smell and save money on shavings!
She is partly litter-trained meaning that she consistently uses her litter-box but some poops will make their way outside. The smell is certainly not bad anymore! :) I use shavings because of a slippery floor bottom that the SPCA deemed slippery but ok with shavings on top of.
I've heard of wooden dowels and plywood covered in linoleum or rug reminents for levels :)
That would be perfect thank you!

LakeCondo wrote:
So the smell doesn't become a problem again, you could get a sheet of linoleum or whatever & cut pieces the size of the wood & lay the pieces over it, once you've scrubbed it down again thoroughly. Or [but not as good] just line it with pieces of cardboard & change them frequently.

Do you mean for the NIC cage or the current one? If for the current cage I'm not wanting to keep it but need to prove to my dad that NIC cages are better. I'd like a NIC cage because I could add a run onto it so she could play more during the day without my supervision!:)

Jj

Can you take the one you have off the legs and add a run to it?

I didn't see a litter box, is why I asked :D

I like the looks of the current setup, so see no need to replace it. Nothing in life is ever perfect & it's good to learn to live with things that are good enough. Figure out something to add to the top or bottom.

OneTwoThree wrote:
Can you take the one you have off the legs and add a run to it?
No.
I didn't see a litter box, is why I asked :D
Yeah ok! Thanks!

LakeCondo wrote:
I like the looks of the current setup, so see no need to replace it.
It's just not working for me and Pembrookeso I wish to replace it
Nothing in life is ever perfect & it's good to learn to live with things that are good enough. Figure out something to add to the top or bottom.
I do realize that but as I said I am not happy with the current cage and this thread was started for comments on NIC cages and how they work for them. So thank you for suggesting ideas on how to make the current cage work but I'm choosing to go down the new cage path.:)

Jj

Latest posts

Back