Nibbles honks like a goose!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leanie2

Reaction score
My 1 year old female has always been vocal and sensitive to changes. She actually sounds like she is honking. She started this at about 6 months of age. She is very particular and will do this if something is not going her way. She is very territorial, but also very loving when she wants to be. A few months ago we got Buddy, a male. Nibbles did not want to be near him. Their cages were close together and she honked and wagged her tail, ran around, etc. I thought she would eventually accept Buddy being around, but she has not changed her mind. Tonight Buddy was playing loose in the room they are kept in and Nibbles was so excited about him running around that she would actually flop down and pant for awhile before getting back up again and honking like a maniac. Is this territorial behavior? I am having Buddy neutered soon....I am hoping this will calm nibbles down. Buddy doesn't get affected by her behavior at all. He just wants to see her through the cage, but she will have no part in it. I had to move their cages away from each other since she was so agitated.
How can I help her? We have had Buddy for almost four months.
Thanks!

Has she been spayed?

Having Buddy neutered may help the situation. As far as bonding goes, some buns just do not get along. Some just take time to be bonded.

She hasn't been spayed. I wasn't sure if she was too old to spay. She is about 14 months old.

I believe most rabbit savvy vets prefer a female to be spayed by 2 years of age.

Need to have both neutered and she's not too old. Lilli used to honk when we first got her, mostly a territorial thing and she'd get excited at treat time and do it too. Now when you open her hutch she give the traditional grunts and comes over and nuzzles wanting a rub--she's a funny bunny.

Your best option would be to get them both de-sexed before putting them together again. The honking goose thing is incredibly funny because I could see her running around, binkying and honking at the same time. it must be quite a sight. LMAO

De-sex and do it over again. It should go better next time.

The honking is her hormones. I agree with getting her spayed. Until then Be very careful and do not let them near each other. Males can breed quickly and it only takes once if its done at the right time

Good thing you moved the cage because some rabbits can still get the 'deed' done through the bars if too close.

I miss Bandit's little honks from when he used to run around me in circles. It was super cute :p

Agree that it's probably best to spay her as well, but if they're happy after Buddy is neutered it doesn't have to be done, but she'll run a high risk of cancer if you don't.

Thanks for all the advice. Both Nibbles and Buddy will be "fixed" April 4th. I think they could be lifelong friends after their hormones quit raging.:hbunnysmell:

Latest posts

Back