Next Thursday is the big Snip Snip!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petkeeper

Reaction score
Hello all, I don't post alot...but am alwayslurking. But I needed some moral support and reassurance I amdoing the right thing. Next week Jan. 27 Rex my mini rex isgoing in to be neutured. I was assured by my vet that theyhave done numerous rabbits. Rex is showing now signs ofaggression or spraying..so it is not necessary for those reasons,yet...I don't want him to start that behavior. He is now 4months old...so it should be about now that he would bestarting.

I am really concerned something will happen to him during surgery.. Ilove this rabbit so much and if anything happened to him during thisoperation, when it wasn't really needed I would never forgivemyself.

Is there anything I can do to make it less stressful for him, he is nota nervous bunny and he loves cuddles and he is so social..I hope hewon't change!

Anyway talk me down, tell me I am doing the right thing!!

Thanks in advance.

Shannon.

PS Rex is my avatar and here is a pic of him too!

oh he's gorgeous! I love the tan color on him. Idon't think I've seen a tan rex before. Most people I know who have hadtheir buns fixed did it after they were 6 months old. I'm not sure howa 4 month old will do. Fixing him is the right thing, though. I thinkyou're wise to try to skip the difficult stage.

Greetings Shannon,

You're most definitely doing the right thing in getting him fixed. 4 months is the minimum they should be to get neutered.

The main reason for concern when rabbits undergo a surgery is theirreaction to the anesthesia. That said, there are so many successstories these days with spaying and neutering that oftentimes, it's therabbit's human parent that has the hardest time with the whole thing.If you have a vet that you trust, you've gone through the whole list ofquestions and concerns you have, and they have treated many otherrabbits, then trust them. Don't be afraid to ask what type ofanesthesia they use, how long they'll be under, how much they usuallyadminister and then compare notes.
Will your Beauty be spending the night? Are rabbits and other exotics kept in the same area as dogs and cats?

Whenever I have to bring my rabbits to the vets, and especially ifthey're going to spend the night, I always bring a toy and somethingfrom their cage, or a straw mat or something from home. In the postentitled, A Cheat Sheet for Rabbit Care, there is a website thatdirects you to Herbal Care. Check through the list of things in thereyou could offer Rex. For example, comfrey has been known to soothe thema bit, as Chamomile generally does for us.

Keep us posted. I'll be thinking about you and The Rexers. He certainlylooks strong and healthy, and he's young so he'll heal quickly.

:)

-Carolyn

He is SO beautiful :) I am very partial to mini-rex :) I almost named Bo, Rex as well :)

Now, the one thing I would ask is have his testicles descendedyet? If not, it's a harder surgery and one that only veryexperienced rabbit vets should do (IMHO).

It is more invasive as they "go in after" the testicles....

If they haven't, I would suggest you wait 2 or 3 weeks. Bostarted his "teen" behavior around 4 mos and I had him neutered withinthe week I Found his testicles had dropped. He was 5 mos oldless 4 days.

He's beautiful!! I have a mini rex who just gotsnipped too, so I know where you are. Good luck with it and stay calm!I'll be thinking of you two. :)

Thank you all for your moral support!!I know I am a big worry wart when it comes to my babies...they are sohelpless. Yes Rex's testicles have decended. He wasoh so proud to show them to me when I kept checking and the finally haddescended!! From what I have researched and the pics I haveseen...Rex's color is Lilac. He is beautiful...but I am his mommy so,of course I am going to say that!! I can't get over thisrabbit...I have had other rabbits in the past and none of them has beenlike him. I adore this bunny..think I mentioned that beforebut hey what can I say I really adore him.

Thanks again for the support.

Shannon and the Rexy-boy!

petkeeper wrote:
Thank you all for your moral support!! I know I ama big worry wart when it comes to my babies...they are sohelpless. Yes Rex's testicles have decended. Hewas oh so proud to show them to me when I kept checking and thefinally had descended!! From what I have researched and thepics I have seen...Rex's color is Lilac. He is beautiful...but I am hismommy so, of course I am going to say that!! I can't get overthis rabbit...I have had other rabbits in the past and none of them hasbeen like him. I adore this bunny..think I mentioned thatbefore but hey what can I say I really adore him.

Thanks again for the support.

Shannon and the Rexy-boy!

:shock:Bo looked so embarassed when I checked and finally found them! LOL!

Sounds like he's ready for the snip! It will help but it takes a few weeks to see a huge change back to his sweet self.

Now, I can't imagine ANYONE on this forum adoring their bunny(s)..... ;);)

I just love his color. He's very pretty. Is he allcuddly and lovey? Bo is so sweet most of the time.Tonight, even my daughter had to say "awwwwww" cause he was playing andsuddenly hopped very fast to me and stood up next to my leg as far ashe could (so I could see him cause I was in my computer chair and hewon't jump onto me there) and I picked him up, he gave me a couple ofquick kisses and off he went again. Made me feel good that hewanted to see me in the midst of his playtime :)

Bo...yes Rexy is a big cuddler. Heloves to hope from the couch to my office chair...not far at all...hewill sit with them then must explore! He comes running to meif I leave the room.

Okay all do your rabbits like the computer. I catch rex allthe time at the computer he can actually pull the key board out and hetypes. He has changed my pass words on me more thanonce!! He managed to bring up the internet dial up screen andchanged my user name!! He is so smart!!

My funny bunny.

Shannon

He is so beautiful!!! I have a rex too (my avatar).

Getting him fixed was the best thing I could do. He was sorta peeingeverywhere and we couldn't handle it anymore. Plus, he was getting onour other two rabbits' nerves. :p

I had no problems with either of my two bucks. I did keep them inlockdown for 24 hours, even though they wanted to run around, I didn'twant them to hurt themselves during that important healing time.

Stephanie

You have a beautiful Rex!! I love the color. So youhave more than one rabbit? Are they all males? Dothey fight? I was reading that you should never under anycircumstances have 2 males in the same house weither they are neuteredor not. What is your opinion ?

Thanks

Shannon

Beautiful rabbit,my dog is going in tommorrow toget neutered,he is driving me crazy barking and howling all night longbecause our female is in season.bluebird

petkeeper wrote:
Iam really concerned something will happen to him during surgery.. Ilove this rabbit so much and if anything happened to him during thisoperation, when it wasn't really needed I would never forgivemyself.
I feel the same way. My bunny is getting spayed on Friday. I'm petrified.

I have two bucks and a doe and haven't had muchof an issue with my two bucks. My oldest, Chompers, is a Mini Lop andvery, very mellow, so I think that helps a lot. Abby is my doe, she's amix of Lop and Rex. I actuallyhad a heck of a time gettingAbby to accept Valuran - my buck Chompers didn't mind him at all. Abbywould attack him all the time and it took me two full weeks of hardwork to get her to accept him.

Well....they did go through a period of fighting the week before webrought Valuran in for his surgury, but after that it's been smoothsailing. I had to work very hard to introduce Valuran into the bondedpair of Abby and Chompers, but now all three rabbits love each otherand are all very happy together. They all share a cage even, although Ithink I'm one of the few on this board who have three rabbits inonecage (it's homemade by my husband and I so it's huge).

So, you can have two bucks together happily.

Chompers is the lop, Valuran is the grey Rex, and Abby is the black bun bun. :)

Look at Chompers!!

I love that little one so much!

-Carolyn

He is little! For the longest time, he was the"big" rabbit of the group. Of course, when we got Abby she fit in thepalm of our hands, and Valuran wasn't that large when he joined thefamily. Now he looks so small compared to the other two. He's all furtoo, I can only imagine how scrawny he would look naked.

Does he miss out on some things because the others push their way in?

The pictures you're taking of him get cuter and cuter.

-Carolyn

Not at all. We're very good at making sure allthree get the same amounts of everything, such as treats and loving andsuch. There was a time when there was a struggle for dominance amongthem, but of course my girl Abby basically told "Here's the deal andwelcome to it! I am Queen and that's that."

Chompers is actually the most...not aggressive but demanding as far asgetting treats goes. He will tear bunny but out of the cage and nearlytrip us when he suspects we have food for them. Ok, he doesthis almost any time we walk into the room, unless he's passed outnapping. We don't even give them treats all the time, although veggiesis considered a treat to them I guess.

Back