Newspaper?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heavenlyshelties

Reaction score
Anyone ever use newspaper for litter??I ran out last night so I stripped some newspaper for Cordie and Miffyand they seem to like it better. Miffy spent the whole day ripping thenewspaper up even more and for the first time since Cordie came alongshe has actually been using her litter box and not going outside it,and Cordie just always does a good job using her litter box but likesto snuggle up in the newspaper. I'm wondering if I shouldstick to using it?

Thanks. :)

I've used newspaper beneath hay for litterbefore, but I came across a few problems. One is that it's not veryabsorbant at all, so it gets saturated with pee really easily and staysthat way until you change it. Two, it doesn't control odor whatsoever.Three, the ink stains bunny feet. Four, they always made a mess tearingit up.I think it's a good idea for beneath another type ofbedding/litter, but alone I wouldn't reccomend it. However, if it'sworking for you... great :D

I change my bunnies litter every singlenight. I like them to be clean. I have been using red cedarthough and unfortunatley it already stained their feet. Iloved the red cedar and have always used it but it gets a littleexpensive and like I said, their little feet are red now but it doeshelp control fleas and I haven't seen a single one on them.:) Maybe I'll use both?

Red Cedar is TERRIBLE for bunnies. The aromathat it has is actually phenols that are detrimental to bunny health.Over time, it builds up in bunny lungs and can drastically shorten yourbunnies lives. I would DEFINITELY not buy that ever again. There isplenty of info about good bedding around here, but I'd reccomend woodpellets, kiln dried pine, aspen, or Woody Pet as far as bargain goes.At a place like TSC, you can get a huge bag of pelleted bedding (and Imean, HUGE) for less than $5.00 usually. You could use a combo ofnewspaper with something else, though :)

You should definitely stop using the Cedar! As said above, its a hazard to the bunny's health.

I'd say find another litter and just givehim a box of shreded newspaper to play in when he's out.

Jess_sully wrote:
Red Cedar is TERRIBLE for bunnies.
I agree!
It may not have an immediate effect, but it is certainly a danger to your bunnie(s).

Fleas shouldn't be a problem, and if they are there are other methodsto deter and treat for them if your bunnie should get them.

If you prefer to use shavings, then use "kiln dried aspen" shavings. It will say it on the bag.

If you want to do what's best for your rabbit then don't use the cedar shavings. And this is more fact than opinion.

I use newspaper with wood shavingsontop. But I hate using them. I dont know what elseto use for an outdoor bunny. I think alot of the stuff youuse for your buns you cant get in the UK so im stuck for what to use! :(

Linz I find that too- there just isn't a choice.My only option is wood shavings and my rabbits don't like walking orsitting on it (they use it ok for going to the toilet) so I have tohave it just in a corner and cover the rest in hay. Berri is a rex andgets sore hocks so I think it's better to have the whole floor covered.But the downside of this is I'm allergic to hay so every time I go outthere I'm sneezing like mad:(

Im allergic to sawdust! So I get really badasthma when I clean the hutches out. They are all good thebunnies and only poo and pee in their litter boxes.

But the guinea pigs are another story. Their hutch getssoiled and I have to clean them out about4 times a weekcompletely and thoroughly.

There is just no other thing to use apart from sawdust/woodshavings and newspaper.

Is it normal for rabbits to eat sawdust!? I'mnot sure if they actually swallow it but it can't be good for them!They eat paper too and i'm sure they swallow it:?. Yet another reasonwhy I hate sawdust/wood shavings! Another thought; it getseverywhere! I have quite long hair and I'm always pullingpieces out of it:tantrum:

Well first off, saw dust and shavings arecompletely different. Saw dust should NEVER be used as litter since thefine particules are too easily aspirated into the lungs.

But eating shavings is no different than chewing on a chunk of wood. Itisn't bad for them (unless they happen to be eating a shaving made outof harmful wood) and it is quite normal for a rabbit to chew on it.

I don't actually use real sawdust I've justgotten into the habit of calling wood shavings that I don't really knowwhy! I know real sawdust shouldn't be used I'm not stupid!

I'm not saying your stupid, it's just that Idon't want anyone taking you literally and using saw dust. I knowpeople refer to shaving as saw dust (that's one thing I never quiteunderstood :?) but not everyone may know that. I know that a friend ofmine took it literally and saved the dust if her dad used a saw andused that as litter. :shock:

For some reason when I read the stuff about sawdust I drastically misread it and thought about making rabbits into sawdust. :shock:

I understand that maybe shavings might be youronly option, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE use kiln dried pine or aspenshavings. I don't care if it's hard to find (which I doubt) or if youthink it's too expensive. In my opinion, if those are the reasons whyyou're using cedar, maybe you shouldn't have gotten bunnies in thefirst place. Cedar is a death sentence for bunnies, even if you don'tnotice it right away. It's also extremely bad for guinea pigs,especially if it's used as bedding for the whole hutch and not just alitterbox. I'm almost positive you can find some other type of shavingsthat aren't made of cedar. I know plenty of other bunny hobbyists andbreeders in many countries who don't use cedar. Even pine would bebetter! Hope you take that into consideration, and I hope it didn'tsound too harsh.

eeps, i didn't know the difference!! In SAeveryone uses "sawdust" for rabbits and hamsters and mice and rats etcetc. I think however, its what you guys are referring to as shavings! igot quite a fright when i read the previous posts on this thread sayingsawdust is bad for bunnies!! hehehehe!

:bunny24

Linz_1987 wrote:
Yer, sawdust and woodshavings is the same thing overhere!
They are different over here but people call them the samething so it gets a bit confusing!:shock: Sawdust is the really finestuff, it actually looks like dust, whereas wood shavings are the woodflakes. Wood shavings are fine to use as long as they aren't made outof pine, cedar or any other harmful woods but sawdust should never beused.:)Also if you are having problems with wood shavings,you could try carefresh or megasorb (which is a type of horse bedding).There are a few safe types of cat litter around aswell but I'm not surewhat they're called.:?

Pine is debatable, it hasn't been proved thatit'sbad like Cedar has. Either way though, I would only usepine in a cage with good ventilation. I usepineshavingsin my litter pans outside (it keeps flies away fromthe bunnies) but there is a lot of ventilation.

Latest posts

Back