Newspaper a safe bedding?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Purinchan

Reaction score
Hi,

My mini lop is about 3 months old and when I first got him, I used aspen shavings for his bedding. But after afew weeksmy bunny started to sneeze so I brought him to the vet and asked her and she said it might be the hay so she told me to use newspapers and towels for bedding instead. I asked her already, but I was wondering if newspapers are safe with all the ink and all? My bun likes ripping it sometimes but I don't know if he ever chews and swallows it :?

Thank you!!

Newspaper is generally fine as long as they don't eat a lot of it. The inks are soy based, so safe to eat. It can cause stained feet, but that is mostly a cosmetic thing and not a health issue.
I use blankets in the cages. Superstore has some nice ones for $5.99 that are quite large. They are in the seasonal/summer area. I have 5 of them and they are wonderful for buns.

Ohh, thank you, the blanket sounds like a great idea!! could you tell me what kind of material they are? Is it wool or cotton or something that the bun chews a lot? thanks so much!!!!

Fleece makes a good cage liner. You can often times get fleece baby blankets at a dollar store or cheap fleece at a fabric store and cut it yourself.

Just make sure that what ever type of blanket you put down, that they don't eat much of it.

You can also use grass mats for bunnies that like to chew. They are safe to eat. You can find some at different places, as long as they have no paint or clear coat on them, they are safe for buns.

-Dawn

I can't quite remember what they are made of, I think it might be polyester, but I could be wrong. My buns don't really chew them, and the few spots were not eaten. I had a bunny who would chew towels and carpet but didn't chew these blankets.
They are quite large, so you many want to cut one in half if you have a smaller cage.
These blankets are made for people, not pets. However, I think there are ones made for pets that are smaller and more expensive and pretty much the same thing.

Latest posts

Back