newly neutered male

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yesterday I had to take the young female back to the shelter (she was too young to spay)and get a 6 month old male...The male, Tanner was neutered sometime yesterday afternoon and required to spend the night (their policy) When I picked him up this AM the vet tech said he had eaten just a little banana, had not pooped but had peed. He is home with me now and has eaten some greens, is very frightened (this is a strange place to him) but has only had one soft poop but did pee again. How long do I wait before I get concerned about lack of poops after a neuter. They didn't give me pain meds but they never do and I have never had a bun that didn't pee and poop quicker.

hmm.. I would expect poops by now if its been over 24 hours since the surgery. Can you get him to eat some hay or pellets?

Youre right about him being scared in a new place. Can you cover his cage with a blanket or something and leave him alone for a bit to see if that helps?

Im not too experienced with statis, maybe someone else knows how long is too long.

They do their neuters late in the afternoon so its probably been just 24 hrs. I have him in an airline crate with a towel over the front in a quiet place. I know how to deal with stasis but not after a neuter and I really don't know if I've given him time yet.. I have to leave the house for a couple hrs but will be right back on here when I get back....maybe he will have pooped by then.

The big reason he's not pooping is probably because he hasn't eaten for so long. There's nothing in thereto poop. If he doesn't start eating soon it would be a good idea to syringe feed him and give him some fluids. Nutrical would be a good idea too. He might just need a little something in his system to make him feel better before he starts eating on his own.

You are an angel for those shelter buns!

He pooped while I was gone..the little devil..it is mishapen but enough which is good enough for me. Angela he ate a fair amount of greens early today and some alfalfa but no pellets. I think he's OK..thanks so much:D!!

He had to go back to the shelter tonite because someone wanted to view him..he should have remained in a quiet unaltered environment for at least several more days...but who am I to say.

Geeze..dont these people understand basic rabbit care? Although I know how overcrowded shelters can be and I imagine they just want to adopt them out whevever possibe. I hope the little guy gets the rest he needs and isnt adopted into a new environment too soon.

You're right Haley..I am so angry I can't see straight. People who work with animals have to dodge the people who try to interfere. people have their own power agendas of hierarchies and at least the rabbits don't

Latest posts

Back