Newly bonded buns, pee issue

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fynnagin

Reaction score
My 2 buns live separately but get plenty of free roaming time each. I had not tried bonding them for multiple reasons:
1) the size difference french lop & mini rex mix)
2) Jasper, the mini rex is not neutered yet(he just turned 6 months last week)
3) reading about how hard it is to bond 2 males

Well, they had other plans......during free time, Jasper managed to escape his area. I discovered this, put him back and found his escape area. Reconfigured the x-pen to prevent escape, and after a month he figured out how to escape again.

This time I have no ides how long he was out since I was gone for most of the day. I was in a panic but after much checking of both buns discovered no injuries and say no evidence of fighting...in fact they were laying beside Fynnagin's hutch together when I got home.

So needless to say, I have been letting them have roaming time together. I still put them in their own house at night. Yesterday, when trimming nails, I noticed Fynnagin smelled like pee...I checked his "area" and nothing. I discovered he has small wet spots on him....I am assuming Jasper is marking his territory and he includes Fynnagin in this. He is not peeing anywhere else(well aside from litterbox).

So after this long, drawn out story my questions are...
1) will this stop after I neuter him?
2) do I separate them during roam time until he is neutered?

Thanks!

It is probably Jasper spraying. Getting him neutered should get rid of it, although it may take a few months for his hormones to completely dissipate.

Zeke sprayed when I first bonded him with Baxter and Wildfire. He was also young and was neutered shortly after the bonding. He did stop spraying shortly after he was neutered, and he stayed with his bond mates the entire time.

-Dawn

Back