Newly bonded bunny and litter issues

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nunyabeez

Reaction score
Help!! I am looking for advice on newly bonded bunnies and litter issues. I have a neutered 2 year old male who has excellent litter skills. We recently adopted a spayed female to bond with him. She has terrible litter habits. They had bunny love at first sight and are already living together. They have been getting along amazing and rarely leave each others side. I have gotten her to pee in the box now, as far as I can tell. She poops EVERYWHERE though. I don't think she's ever pooped in the box once. They live in an x-pen in my living room. When Vader, the male, comes out to roam the room he never goes potty anywhere. He will occasionally scent his cage with a few poops, so i know about that. But Leia, the female, just goes everywhere. I can't let her out around the house until she is trained. The odor is extremely strong in here since she came home with us. I am attributing this to territory marking? I have tried hay in the litter box, and I have 2 boxes in the cage. Funny enough they are only using one litter box together. I really am wondering if I need to put her in a smaller cage to train her? the x-pen is about 4x4. I keep putting her poop in the box to help her. I read online that if one bunny is trained it will help teach the other. Does anyone have experience with this? Will the pooping everywhere just calm down once she's been here a while and her hormones subside. She came from a shelter so I don't know her prior litter habits. If she never was litter trained can she still be litter trained or is it too late? ANY advice would be appreciated. Thanks !

Last edited:
It's pretty common for a rabbit to poop everywhere, when it is in a new home. Yes, it is the territory marking, and usually subsides after a while. Also, if she is recently spayed, then that will also contribute to the territory marking and smell, until the hormones subside after 4-8 weeks. If her scent glands need cleaning, then that can also make her extra smelly. It smells a bit like a skunk smell.

thanks! How do you clean their scent glands? Or do you? And where are they?

Latest posts

Back