newborn wild rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsnclinton

Reaction score
my husband ran over a rabbits nest and now I have2 babies I'm trying to keep alive. Am feeding them baby formula thru adropper every couple of hours. How do I tell how old they are? And whatelse should I be doing? I have them in a box with the stuff that was intheir nest sitting on a heating pad. One is more active than the otherone. The one that's active is starting to hop around but the other oneis still crawling to get around. If I hold themin my hand I can coverthem up with my other hand.That's how small they are. Anysuggestions??

Hi, Kitten Supplement is far better than babyformula. You can get it at most pet shops and some super markets. Otherthan that, it seems that you are doing the most you can. You didn't saywhat happened to the doe (the mother). The majority of wild kits thatsurvive with human intervention is small. Please do not feeldisappointed or hurt if they dont make it (I know, that's easy for meto say). If only the nest was destroyed, I would look to see if themother is coming back for her babies. She only feeds them about twice aday and does not stay in the nest, for their safety from predators. Ifshe is around, can the nest be reconstructed and the babies put back?Chatlotte

He doesn't think he killed the mother but he's notsure. What would I reconstruct the nest out of there wasn't much leftthat the lawn mower didn't blow everywhere. And I didn't think themother would take care of them again after the had been handled bypeople or is that not true? Just got home from work and they both seempretty lively now. We switched them from the box they were in to a birdcage with bedding and leaves and things that had more room for them tohop around. If they make it how long do you think I should wai beforetaking them off the milk and getting them to eat rabbit food or grass??

i just found a newborn in the road its so tiny i dont know what to do or what to feed it or put it i n help

I need help because my dog chased off the motherand the father rabbitts andthey left 4 babies behind. theireyes haven't even opened yet. I need to know any thing that can help. Ifeed them with warm milk and q tips. I need info fast.

Oh Boy! Too bad that they aren't just a little bit older!

Okay, this goes way back to when I was a kid...and that's beenmany moons ago. My dad ran over a nest of cottontails whenmowing hay...brought the babies up to the house in his cap.At that time, he milked our stock cows, so we had fresh cow milk everyday. Fifty years ago, there wasn't all the modern technologyor products of today. I fed them cow milk with a medicinedropper...just one of those glass ones like you can still buy at WalMart, or probably a drug store. You can control the amount ofmilk with the pressure of your finger and thumb and they willsuck. (In more recent years, I've used this with bunnies I'veraised.) It was probably just dumb luck, but I raised thosebaby cottontails and got them started on some grass andoats..dandilions, etc., and I kept them till they were probablyway past the stage where they could take care ofthemselves. There were four of them. And, Idid the same thing with a jack rabbit. My mother finally mademe let him go. Rabbit urine is the best darn wax remover youever did see, and she did not see the humor in it everytime Jackiepeed, and there went the wax on her floor!

The wild rabbits are harder to raise than the domestic, but I've foundthat the domestic ones I've tried to raise all by myself didn'tfare too well, either. So, I always breed more than one doeat a time. That way, I've got a back up. And, ifthere should be too many, I split litters. I keep part ofthem in the house, and just feed them evaporated milk with thedropper. Come evening time, I exchange babies. Thatway, everybody gets some rabbit milk, and everybody doeswell. It's extra work, but it works. And, you endup with some really tame bunnies!

Just good luck, I guess. And try to not feel too bad if you lose them, cuz it may happen.

Back