Newborn Holland Lop babies born yesterday!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marie_martin

Reaction score
Well, I have not been here in a while. I ampretty new here and I have read alot but have not posted much. My doehad one single her first time and it was huge and we think it was borndead. We waited a month and then rebred her. This time, we had a propernest box and everything ready. A couple of days ago, she started makinga nest in the box. I knew her due date so I was a bit concerned shewould have them early. But she was just being prepared I guess.Yesterday was day 30 and I went out to feed everyone, we have goatstoo, and she was acting a little strange and had pulled some hair. Ichecked the nest box, although she was not too happy about it. Nobabies. So I get her a little hay and put in the cage and when I do, Irealize she is in the nest box and is pushing. I was amazed. I havenever seen a rabbit in labor. She pushed for about 10 min. and then gotout. I could see there were 4 babies in there. I was so excited andlooking at them, I did not even realize she was still having babies.She just hopped out of the box and then hopped a couple more times andthere was a baby on the wire under her. I had to get it and she wassort of guarded but I moved her off the baby and put the baby in thebox. Then she hopped a couple more times and another one came out. Itwas at the back of the cage and I could barely reach. All I could do isgrab the skin on its back and pick it up to get it to me. I put it inthe box. Then she appeared to be done. I covered the nest with the firshe had in there and I ran to the house to find my DH. Took me about 10min. to find him and wash my hands and all. Like I said, I figured shewas done. She was just cleaning herself up. I get back out there andshe has had another one on the wire and it was dead. I also checked onthe ones in the box and realized one of them was dead. It was thebiggest one. Looked like its bottom half was almost black looking,which I did not know if it was his color or from lack ofoxygen. Anyway, she had 7 and lost 2 but they seem ok rightnow. I never saw her feed them but I am hoping for the best. She is anew mom. I brought her whole cage inside for a couple of days, it ishot during the day but cooling off a bit at night and I worried thatthe change back and forth may make them sick. I will slowly acclimatethem when I take them back out. So right now I have my family room fullof baby bunnies, baby chicks I hatched and some more eggs in theincubator. Whew! what am I thinking. This will be the only baby bunnieswe will have. I don't plan to breed her again. She will be fixed and bea pet. She is a bit cranky, if you know what I mean. So I guess Ibarely made the April list. Here is a link to a video I took. Hope itworks.

http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i162/marie_martin/Bunnies/?action=view&current=P4140247.flv

Marie

Aw, they're sweet. I liked the bit in the middle where one went headlong into the side of another and pushed it over, lol.

They're cute.

Keep us updated :)

I remember you ! Congratulations on your new wrigglies! I'm so happy for you.

Even experienced mamas can lose babies sometimes - getting five is great!

I love the video..

Peg

We have not decided. At first we had said wecould sell a few of them, depending on how many she had. We raise goatsand we are very cautious about who we sell them to, so we would onlysell to someone we trusted. But we may just keep them all. I especiallyhope they are all boys. I have had the best relationship with the buck.He is the sweetest thing ever. We started out with two boys, and wenamed them Flopsey and Mopsey. Well, Flopsey died unexpectedly and fora while we could not decide if we wanted another one. Well, we decidedto replace Flopsey and the lady we got them from ony had one and it wasa doe. So we thought about it and decided we might want to try andraise one litter. So the kids, (and the big kids) could experiencethat. Well here we are. We just love animals so much. I am going tohave the doe fixed, she is a little hormonal and gets some cageaggression. She is fine outside of the cage, but guards that cage likea wild animal. I won't breed her again. They will just be pets. If I dodecide to sell any, I will post here first. Not sure ifanyone is close to me. I am in North Mississippi.

Thanks.

Marie

I dreamt about these little wrigglers last night :) Thought I would randomly share that with you.

How funny is that! I dreamed of work all night,darn it. But they are too cute. I was not sure if mom was feeding themsince I have not seen her even though I have been very sneaky!!! So Itook her out and put them up to her and let them eat while she layed inmy lap relaxed. They got nice full bellies, and it appeared that youcould see the milk? Is that what I am seeing? It looked like a whiteball in the tummy. And they are peeing because there was a huge wetspot on the paper towels they were laying on while I fed each one. Momabout went to sleep in my arms but every once in a whle winced likemaybe they bit her too hard??? Oops! I know she has milk sonow I am not so worried. I know I probably did not have anything toworry about, but I am just a worry wart sometimes. They are wriggly andso cute. Can you tell from the video what some of the colors might be?Two look darker skinned and a few of them look very pink and look likethey will be white. Thanks so much.

Marie

I am definiatly not anexpert, but I think that pink skin becomes white/ possibly lighter furand gray may become back/dark gray. But I couldn't see well (thiscomputer is rather old and...well old) so I can't say about one oranother. But I love babies!
RAE

Well, one of the babies is definitely white,hopefully will look like dad. Two of them look like white with coloredspots, maybe like mom and the other two are darker like maybe black orgrey solid? We will see. I can't believe how well they are doing. Eventhough I don't see mom in with them, I know she is taking care of thembecause they have full bellies when I check. Last night I thought Iwould get them out and take a good look in good light. So I let mom outfor a romp in the room while I got the nest box out. I put the box onthe couch and proceeded to take out the babies and lay them in a littlepile in front of me. Well before I know it, here comes mom. At firstshe was just sniffing them and then she started to like and care forthem and they crawled under her right there on the couch and nursed. Icould hear them and it was amazing. She was licking and they werenursing. Too cute. So glad to have experienced that. I have one babythat is a runt and I hope it is getting enough. It appears to have afull belly and it urinated on the couch right after being fed, so Iguess it is ok, just a bit smaller. I will keep an eye on it. Mom hasbeen a little funny about us handling her and has displayed some cageaggression but last night, before I got the babies out, I had her outand she came up to me and jumped up on the couch and let me rub on herand cuddle. So things are getting better. Maybe a little at a time shewill realize I am not going to hurt her or her babies? I love them somuch.

Marie

Ok now.....we're DYING for pictures of both mama and the babies...

I'm so glad you got to experience them nursing....isn't it awesome to be able to watch it.

Ohana (the mama to Dusty, Drew, Bun Bun & Lily on the board)was stlll nursing Lily just last weekend...and Lily was almost her sizeif not a bit bigger (hard to tell with all that fluff).

I'm glad things seem to be working out better for you.

Peg

Thanks guys. I will try to get some new photos.It has been crazy. They are growing and getting fur and are doinggreat. Mom is eating much better. I got her lots of nice green stuff atthe produce market and she is eating like a pig. Still guarded, but DHheld her yesterday while I checked the babies and cleaned out her cageand she went to sleep on his chest. So she is more relaxed with him, sothat is good. She is letting me feed her through the cage, but that isa start. I am sitting there talking to her and feeding her, trying toassociate good things with my presence. I will get some new pics upsoon. Sorry, I have so much going on right now. I have baby chicks tooand eggs in the incubator and a hen sitting on eggs. I am getting readyto breed a goat so I am watching her for signs?? So crazy right now.Thanks again for all your support.

Marie

Back