Newborn bunny help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitfarmer

Reaction score
Hi I plan to make an introduction but i need a question answered pretty quickly. We are new rabbit owners, and we went out full force. We currently have 19 rabbits. I don't know if anyone else has that many or not, not to many people we've come in contact with has that many. The question is. Yesterday we had a litter born to our rabbit Jelly. She had 3 babies (so small litter). Babies feel warm, moving around and look like they have full bellies, so i'm sure Jelly is taking good care of them. They were born sometime between 1pm-4pm. Then in the middle of the night we had 6 more babies. Based on the color of the fur in the nest box, we believe they are from our rabbit "Cloud". I checked all the babies and they were all warm and active except for one. I thought it was dead at first, because it's backside was very cold. It is still breathing, but hardly moving at all. Is there anything i can do for it, or to just let nature take it's course. I counted and Cloud had 6 babies. BTW how do you keep track of them when you weigh them? They all look exactly the same? Thanks for any help. These babies are a surprise, we didn't realize the mamas were pregnant. I'll explain the whole story in the introduction.

Some people mark the ears wit a marker. Or if they look different you make a note

LakeCondo wrote:
You can keep the newborn warm by bundling up with a hot water bottle or something makeshift.

thanks. I didn't have a water bottle. But i warmed a towel in the microwave. it seemed to help baby is pretty active and moving now. It's back in with the mama now.

fuzz16 wrote:
Some people mark the ears wit a marker. Or if they look different you make a note

i thought about that, but wasn't sure if the marker would hurt the babies in anyway. The first litter are all black rabbits. And the 2nd litter consist of 4 pink in color, 1 gray looking, and 1 red looking. Obviously the red and gray are easy to distinguish. It's the pink and black i was worried about.

We use a marker/sharpie and put numbers in their ears when we start weighing them. It won't hurt them and it wears off. Once ours are old enough to show we tattoo them.

Latest posts

Back