Newborn Advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

citygirl

Reaction score
Three babies were born this morning and I'venoticed the mother is not paying any attention to them (we found onedead, one out of the cage, and the other two were in the back of thecage - we put the three live ones in a nesting box thismorning). I've watched the mother and she's eating well -both pellets and a carrot. I also noticedsheurinated in the nesting box - is this a bad sign or is she attemptingto get her scent back on them? The only informationI can find in our "Raising Rabbits" states that "attempts to hand-nurseorphans are usually futile..." Does anyone have anyexperience or advice?

Welcome Citygirl,

The mother usually feeds her babies once a day and that's generally atdawn (5:00 a.m. or so). Keep the babies in the nestbox or she won'tfeed them. If in the morning, the babies aren't round and look likethey swallowed a golf ball with warm bellies, you can try to put themon the mother's nipple. They don't take long to nurse. Afterwards, youmight take a wet cottonball and gently stroke from their bellies ondown to their tail so that it stimulates them going to the bathroom.Does usually lick their babies that way to make them go to thebathroom.

If you can't get them to take to the mother's nipple, you can syringefeed them with goats milk or KMR (kitten milk replacer) with a touch ofcream in it if you have it about.

You'll need a syringe and don't give them much more than 2 ml. perfeeding until they're a week old. Feed slowly so that they don't getliquid in their or drown since they're so little.

I'd get rid of the soiled hay in the nestbox.

Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

P.S. Does usually don't sit on the nest with their babies because inthe wild, that would give away to predators where the nest is. She maybe sitting off to the side on purpose. As long as they're in thenestbox and remain there, hopefully she'll care for them. If this isher first litter, she may be somewhat confused as to what's going on.

Please do, citygirl.

It's okay for you to handle them. The doe won't ignore them if they have your smell on them.

Hoping they have round, warm bellies tomorrow morning.

:)

-Carolyn

Citygirl,

Carolyn did a good job explaining. :)
I'd just like to add a few things from personal experience.
When I have a doe who isn't nursing the kits on her own.....
1) Sit ona chair and put a towel on your lap
2)Spread your legs to the point where the doe could sit on your lap yet babies couldnurse.
3) put the babies on the towel in the little 'dip' you have now have provided
4) get the doe and stick her on your lap and see if she will nurse.

I normally try this before flipping the doe over because sometimes doeswill with hold their milk when flipped over. Does sure have a mind oftheir own!

I would try with all your might to not hand feed the kits! Its not verysuccessful although some people have succeeded. Try to find a friendbreeder around you that has a litter thats within 3 days old from yourkits and try to foster.

Again, this is just something I do from my experiences (only been a breeder for 6 years)

~ Amanda

Citygirl, It is a scary experience when you wakeup in the morning and find little ones in the cage. My Leilu had alitter of 4 two weeks ago...she is doing a fine job of feeding them andtaking care of them..she just likes to get away from them as much aspossible...like a little break. This is also Leilus firstlitter and i was really scared that she was going to feed them. But inthe end i hope it all works out for you. Just make sure that mom alwayshas food in her dish and lots of hay and water. MIne drinks a 2 quartssometimes 3 a day.

Good luck to you...darlene

7:09am and all babies are alive and mother isdoing fine. They don't have the really round bellies I washoping for, but they are moving and scooting about. I cleanedthe cage and the nesting box. I did notice that the motherwent right into the nesting box and, once again, urinated init. I'm hoping this is a scent thing and not her using thebox as a toilet!

She was given a treat of carrots and lettuce this morning and ate themstraight away. I also noticed her milk was gone - I had readto give the mother some milk as she may need the extranutrients. I gave her 1/2 cup of condensed milk last nightand it was gone this morning.

I've also laid out down some newspaper in her cage - she seems to be using it as a mat - probably a break from the wire floor.

Mother seemed to be taking a snooze when I left them to comeinside. I'm guessing all is well! Keep your fingerscrossed!

Are they wrinkly and shriveled looking?

You might wish to refer to Dwarf_Angel04's advice.

-Carolyn

Actually, some of ours were wrinkly and shriveledeven when bellies were full! they had folds and folds of loose skin, sothat when they were on their backs their front legs disappeared intorolls of thin skin. And the runts looked skinny and shriveled, butended up fine.

Go figure!! :?

Rose

Latest posts

Back