Newbie Questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheetos mom

Reaction score
I feed Don Cheeto at least 2 large handfuls ofTimothy hay a day and usually about 5 baby carrots. His real love seemsto be Romaine lettuce though.

Is it possible to give him too much lettuce? What is the right amount?

Because of limited funds, right now, I haven''t taken him to the vetyet. Is there a way to tell if he should be eating Alfalfa instead ofthe Timothy? How do I ensure his weight is an ideal one?

I really don't have the space for another bunny. But, I wonder if I amdoing my guy an injustice by having him as an only bunny child?

He's given too much (as if there is such a thing) love and affection,several hours of supervised outdoor time and free rein of the house formost of the day...

Does a bunny sibling divert their affections to the new bunny insteadof their human family? (I'm so selfish!) I really don't want anothercritter, but I am not 100% opposed.

Lastly, do rabbitts come to litter box train themselves instinctively?I know every kitten we have ever had has done this on their own (orperhaps by mama's teaching). Do mama bunnies teach their kits this, isit instinctive or do human parents need to show them the way? DonCheeto showed up litter box trained. With a 2 1/2 year old and a 3 mthold child, I really wouldn't want to go through a major effort....

Answers would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

And may we all have a much better day than yesterday - especially you, Buck!!

hey cheetos mom how old is cheeto?

U shouldn't really feed rabbits too many carrots as they are high in sugar content and not very good for them.

Do you feed your bunny pellets? I would recommend these aswell as hay but just give cheeto a little to start with.

I don't think u can give too much greens unless its the first timethey've had them u need to ween them onto it slowly and then i thinkits okay?

Not sure im being too helpful, as for a sibling if money is a problemthen I would not really buy a second bun until i could afford it?

Have u had cheeto vaccinated? This is another important thing that needs to be considered.

Sorry if ive not been too helpful.

Vets usually do not vaccinate rabbits in the U.S.

I would give him unlimited timothy hay and limited pellets (the plain,green ones with nothing else mixed in). You can give himromaine lettuce (and other dark, leafy greens) as long as it doesn'tmake his poop soft.

He will be fine as an "only child" as long as you give him plenty of attention.

Laura

Another bunny may be fun and cute, but there isa big possiblility of him no longer wanting to bond with you andinstead with the other bun. I got my second rabbit because of work, andwhen it wasn't playtime I didn't want my Camper to be alone. When Pandacame Camper did get a bit more skittish and aggressive towards me, butafter working with him and Panda they're both great!

It all depends on what you want to do and the pros and cons involved.

As for timothy vs. alfalfa, unless he is very young or a tadunderweight I'd stick with timothy. Alfalfa has a lot of calcium andcalories.

Litter box training is very different than cats. Although rabbits doinstinctively like to go in the same spots, it can stil be a bitdifficult. After a few months mine have only recently just done it100%. You may want to stick the box in the cage and put the rabbitsdroppings inside of it, which will sort of give Cheeto the idea. Maybeeven sprinkle some hay on top to encourge him to hop in. If you see himstart to go just stick him inside the box. Eventually he will startgetting the idea, but it can take a while, just don't get discouraged!ANd definatly stick with treats, petting, and positive reinforcement ifhe does it right. Bunnies get really confused with discipline.

Good luck, you seem to have learned so much about Cheeto in just a fewweeks! He seems like he has a very loving home, much better than beingloose like before. :)

Latest posts

Back