Newbie questions. :)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which gender do you find overall...better?

• Male

• Female

Results are only viewable after voting.

Breeing

Reaction score
Hello there!

So i am new to this forum and am about to get a rabbit after researching, watching and thinking about it. :)

Haven't decided on the breed i will be getting thus far, however am going between holland lop cross, or Netherlands dwarf cross...

I am finnishing up an outdoor hutch for the bun bun during the summer (will post pictures when i can for ideas, suggestions, comments on it)...

And for the winters i will be bringing the little one inside. I am planning on converting my entire closet into a cage and making the cage out of those C&C grids.

My question is: I have room for 2 x 2 grids, HOWEVER, i am planning on added 3 levels to this cage, does that matter for rabbits? I mean the cage will be huge, but not width wise, but...you know. lol
The most i could do it fit in 2 1/2 grid long and 2 grid wide, and continue that for the upper 2 levels... Would that be big enough? And i mean i am also rabbit proofing my room so at least once a day he will have free run over the space.

And finally i know this is off topic but...Male or female? No matter what sex i will be getting them fixed, but lets say....Neutered male rabbit as smelly as female unfixed rabbit? I mean how smelly are they really?!

Fixed litter box trained rabbits aren't smelly at all.

Some rabbits are climbers & others aren't, so the mostly-vertical setup may or may not work. To get a climber, I suggest getting a rabbit from a shelter. It would be already neutered & you would know what its climbing abilities were, its personality etc. And you would avoid the bother of the hormonal period & the neutering process.

i agree that rabbits dont smell if they are littertrained and fixed, as for the cage, the levels would be great as long as the rabbit could jump up without any issue. if you were getting a lop, it would probably be easier for the bun to jump from one level to the next but a netherland dwarf could have troubles and need a ramp or something? :? i have a 3 level c and c cage for my mini rex and she loves it

The climbing really depends on your bun. I have a NIC cage and its 3 Long, 3 high and 2 deep. Both of my buns are climbers (especially my mini rex!!!).

I personally like length over height. If I didnt know that my buns would love it I wouldnt have given that much height at all.

Your asking me to choose if a female or male is better and I just cant! I have both and I can see one or the other giving me dirty looks if I choose LOL!

Each bunny is different!

The reason why I voted female is primarily because bucks spray urine. That STINKS and goes everywhere. I have even been sprayed in the mouth. When I breed Mini Rex and Californian rabbits the males tended to be sweeter. I think that all of the sweetest rabbits that I had were Castor or Broken Castor Mini Rex rabbits. That is with the exception of a few Mini Rex Does (I miss my Tiger, my dogs killed her earlier this year. She was without question the BEST rabbit I have ever owned).

So an overview. Bucks spray urine but can be the sweetest rabbits. Does are moody to say the least. Now that I think about it, the only reason I have a doe right now is because my mom would not let me get a buck. Maybe I should not have voted. You also might want to add an option for it does not matter.

If you adopt a fixed adult rabbit you will not notice much difference at all.

Babies up til fixed I prefer females. Spraying, humping, etc are why I prefer females.

I have a doe who is the sweetest thing ever. She is a teenager right now and has never been moody. I sometimes think the "moodiness" you hear about in females might be more just that individual rabbit OR they tend to get moodier if around other rabbits and they aren't spayed.

I have had 8 rabbits, 4 of each. They all have individual personalities. I couldn't pick one sex as better. They both stink terribly when not fixed (my house smelled like a barn) but the smell goes away once they are fixed (you would never guess I had 6 rabbits at once in the house).

I tend to prefer long over tall enclosures as well because all of my buns love to hop and run, but only two are climbers, both female btw. I think that is just how it worked out, not a real sex difference. I have yet to figure out how to contain Bunnicula, my new little dutch girl. She's out every morning. I think I need a roof. She's 3 pounds soaking wet and a full belly, but can get out of a 3 NIC pannel high enclosure. Thank goodness the whole house is rabbit proofed and she's a good girl when out.

Don't be shocked if you have to go through a couple versions of your enclosure. Rabbits are super smart at getting what they want.

Petfinder.com can help you find a great rabbit from a rescue, who should know their personality.

Thanks everyone! I have always and will always adopt my animals, however i have been watching the shelter and go in there all the time asking for a rabbit however they never get them in, i have also advertised in papers, sites, etc up here for unwanted rabbits and still haven't found one! I am even messaging rescue centers in British columbia to see if i would be able to adopt from them...No luck. :(

So it looks like a will be buying one- which honestly kills me.

No matter which sex i end up bringing home, they will be fixed asap. What age should i get him/ her fixed btw?

And the cage will have ramps to each level for it to move around easily. :)

Will try and set it up and post pictures as so we can figure this whole thing out!

Have you tried adoptapet.com? I just wondered, because for location it says to enter zip/postal. And petfinder.com covers Canada as well.

You should find a vet that treats rabbits before you get one, then ask him/her at what age he/she does neutering. Usually it can be done by 6 months. Some vets will do females earlier, but others won't especially if it's a small female. For males, the balls have to have dropped.

I phoned the vets a couple weeks ago and talked to an assistant who told me the prices ($175 male or female) but i totally forgot to ask at what age...Will do that next time i phone. :)

And there is not a single rabbit that comes up for adoption when i look on petfinder or adoptapet.com. I live way up in northern canada where there is only one small family owned pet store (which is where i work) so actually know almost everyone who owns rabbits anyways.. and no one is looking to re home anytime soon...

Try again on petfinder. I entered Vancouver & there over a dozen shelters in BC who have a total of 140 rabbits available. Surely at least one will adopt to the Yukon. If not, maybe you know someone in BC who could do the adoption with you, or find someone in RO through the regional section.

A vote for adoption.

1. Adoption is CHEAPER! Yes the initial cost can be high compared to an unfixed bun, but getting a bun fixed can be costly. And most shelter bun will come already fixed. Adoption where I went was $80 USD this bun was already fixed. Getting one of my non-adopted buns fixed cost $150 USD.

2. Adoption allows you to find a bun more tailored to you. Some buns are NOT climbers and never will be. When you adopt you can get one which you know is a climber.

Good luck and enjoy your bun, they make such great pets.

Thanks you guys i have exhausted all options when it comes to adoption, and like i said i will and will always adopt all my animals from shelters, i am a huge advocate, but there is just not that option for these bunnys here. BC won't adopt to me up here as they can't meet me (makes sense...) the shelter up here has only ever gotten a handful in through the 18 years its been open, and haven't been any in there for years. No body is getting rid of an unwanted one that i can find.... Trust me i honestly feel bad buying one, and almost feel as though i should wait but..It will be YEARS before i move- if ever.

Its been raining like crazy out the last couple days so haven;t been able to get a good shot of the outdoor hutch, and the inside one is no where near done yet. haha

And i would just like to say how amazingly happy you guys make me suggesting going to the shelters, its such a struggle up in the Yukon to get people to adopt there dogs and cats, its so sad..

I guess I thought you'd be able to take a little vacation to BC that included shelter visiting. If you were able to line up another person or 2 that also was wanting a rabbit, you could go together. Or maybe the pet store would take some. Or would your shelter be willing to take in some, as they'd surely be adopted faster there than in BC.

Back