Newbie From Texas needs Advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenacrewoods

Reaction score
Ok! Hello everyone,I just found this site and so I'm gonna just jump right in.
No lurkin around hear(well maybe justa little), :wave:Oh! and it's Nice to meet Y'all!

I've got 2 young daughters ages 10 & 12 that are "just Dying"
to get their own Rabbits. We just sold our Horses of 4 years and theyneed "replacement pets" because they're sooo sad. Oh! the Drama oflittle girls.
Anyway they would like- Holland Lop's(my fav.).
They eventually want to breed them but that'll be awhile.
We live in the countryhave lots of room on 10acresbut stray dogs run thru now and then so the rabbits will be kept in anenclosedleento off the side of my shop sostray dogscan't get to them before I get to the dogs.:rip:

My girls are purty responsible,they've helped muck stalls (well spread hey) feed and bath our horses since my oldest was 8.

Any special advice onHolland Lopsor anyadvicefor young ladies and (Wife) with their first rabbits?:ponder:
We have owned rabbits before,that were just pets (Breed not known) but my girls were just babies then.

They've taken it upon them selfs and started reading up on this breedabout 3 months ago, so they can be prepared!We won't be buying till theNew Year.

Please excuse any misspelling as I do live in the deep woods of Texas. :wink
Any advice would Truely be Appreciated!

P.S best dang Smilies anywhere. :blueribbon:

Thank You All!

Mike E.

"Tell Me,I'll Forget"
"Show Me,I'll Remember"
"Involve Me,I'll Understand"

LOL! Hiya Mike! :welcome1

Glad to hear your girls are spending some time researching, that's a great start. :)

A lot of members have Hollands, and we have a lot of members in Texas, I'm sure they'll chime in!

We definitely recommend getting the rabbits from a good breeder andavoiding pet stores like the plague. If you post inourRabbitry section, I'm sure somebody will steer (hehe) youin the right direction.

Also, here's the Index for our general info site, Bunny 101:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12080&forum_id=17

I'm noticing there's a lot about house rabbits in there, but not a loton 'leen-to' bunnies, we'll have to fix that.:biggrin:

It's just a matter of making sure they get LOTS of interaction withtheir hoomins, they really are social little critters and love peopleand attention -- and besides, they need to be monitored very closely,even slight changes in their poopscan signal big trouble,they're terriblewhen it comes to lettingpeople (andpredators) know they're ill. Andthey need a lot ofspace to run around in, they don't do well in cages, so hopefullythey'll have run of the place at least a good part of thetime.

I like pens over cages, one thing bunnies hate is being lifted up, sotaking them from the cage to the floor is an ordeal for them.Ramps, pens or ground level doors are best. And if the girlswant to bond with them, best if they get down on the bunnies' level, ifthey're on the floor with them, they'll be all over their laps in notime. Once they trust them, it will be easier to pick them upand hold them when necessary.

Does the lean-to have a solidfloor? These guys canreally dig, dirt won't work! But if you've had bunniesbefore, youprobably know that. ;)

You're right about the stray dog issue, and you'llprobablyhave to really fortify thebuilding, there'sbeen too many stories about those :censored2:dogs breakinginto solidly build barns, shacks and cages with horribleresults. :cry2

And depending on what part of Texas you're in, you may have to make afew adjustments for the weather, but probably nothing drastic.

That's all I can think of at the moment, any questions, just fire away!

sas :) the warren :bunnydance::brownbunny:bunny24:toastingbunsand the forum :group:

:lol Hi Mike! Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you have a good start and plenty of time to get ready foryour new buns. Pipp already gave lots of goodadvice. Hopefully those stray dogs don't cause too muchtrouble.:?

My only question with the leen-to is how much air circulation does itget? They'll need a lot of air movement in summer becauserabbits don't do well in heat. There's other tricks too, likegiving them bottles of frozen water to lay against, but air movement isimportant.

If your girls are interested in breeding, they should probably join4H. It will put them in touch with other kids and adults whobreed rabbits and it's a great learning experience. Plusthey'll be able to show them. Joining the ARBA (AmericanRabbit Breeders Association) is a good idea too, especially if you canget to some of their shows. Even if you're not a member youcan learn a lot there. Not to mention meeting more breedersand getting more good breeding stock.

Welcome to the forum from another Texan!

We have several folks who breed holland lops in Texas and Ithink that one of the best ways to hook up with some is to go to a show!

I'm not sure exactly where the deep woods of Texas are - you have somany options for that in this state. (I'm more in the sticks and nearthe Mexican border).

If you go tohttp://www.bunnyrabbit.com andlook at the shows they'll be attending (they sell rabbit supplies) -you'll see a great list of shows that are in Texas - maybe you can findone that suits you? I think they call it "show schedule" ontheir website or something like that.

Welcome to the board.

Oh - and don't forget to check outhttp://www.hlrsc.com/ as they are theHolland Lop specialty club and can help you locate reputable breederstoo!

Holland lops are fun. I have three and I love them even if they are curious and at times....full of mischief.

Peg

Howdy, Mike! It's nice to see anotherTexan on the forum! (Though I live in CA now, I used to livein San Antonio, and consider myself a Texan MUCH MORE than aCalifornian!)

Sounds like your girls are already well on their way as far as gettingready...that's wonderful! It's also wonderful that you foundthis site...there's so much information here that's just itchin' to beread and taken in! All sorts of information about feeding,housing, playing with, breeding buns, and so much more!

Check out the Rabbit 101 section, and check out the various sectionsthat are there. I'm sure you'll find everything youneed. Here's a link to it:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_forum.php?id=17

Don't be afraid to ask any and all questions you may have,though! We're all here to answer them, and love to chat, sotalk away! :)

So, without further ado...welcome to the forum!! :D

Rosie*

Hello! pipp

No floor in leento but we're building a Bunny run, 8'x10' for3 hrs of daily play time and of coarse the girls will bring them in thehouse every chance they get.:yes:

Here's akinda bad rendition of mysetup!:biggrin: Cages (16 of them)arehanging 8 on each wall and are about 3' off the ground so my littlestone can reach the back of their cages. Oh! The cages are 32"W X 24"DX18"H should be plenty of room for Holland Lops. :bunnydance:

naturestee

There should be plenty of air circulation as both endsof the leento open up and there's a giant exhaust on the backwall.:happyrabbit:

TinysMom

We live in Cut N Shoot about 45 miles north of Houston and we love it.:happyday:

mahermom

My girls have been ina 4H program for a couple ofyears and we raised Tabiano Paint Horses. Now we just need to get themin a Bunny Program, they are Home Schooled and Have been Learnin aboutFarm livin about half their lives andthinks it'sgreat.:great:Oh! Ya the wife signed me up as a member of the ARBA formy Birthday! :birthdayToMe!:wiggle Tomorrow......

I didn't know Cut N Shoot was a town....I thought you were being funny (like when folks say "bunnyville" or stuff like that).

Are you near Cleveland, TX at all? I know someone there who can get youin touch w/ holland lop breeders - I think she got out of them.

I will send you a private message w/ her contact information.

Peg

Yes Tiny'sMom

Cut N Shoot is on Hwy.105, 13 miles fromCleveland and 14 Miles from from Conroe just past the Tiny Town ofMidway which is exactly between to 2 Big Cities..:laugh:
Sorry for the late Reply I've been out Shoppin for Bunnies For My B-day.:wink

These two will be the start of my Breeding Stock in a coupleof weeks! :yes: Plus Another Pair with similarColors( Tort,Chestnut Agouti or Fawn)from another Breeder.

I'llPost Real Pics when they Arrive!

Mike E.

"Tell Me,I'll Forget"
"Show Me,I'll Remember"

Hey Mike, congrats!:goodjob (Sorry I missed this earlier).

It's probably a good idea to start posting in The Rabbitry section,that's where all the breeders hang out.Pam Nock isour resident ARBA expert (and Rabbitry moderator), she's anARBAjudge and raises Hollands, she'll see your posts inthere. :)

Keep in mind the ARBA nationalsare in Texas this year, therewon't be a better way to get a fast education and netwook with the bestbreeders, it's well worth the trip!

Let us know how it goes!

sas :)

Yes mambo101

It was last week, A breeder from Lubbock invited me but itwasabout an 8-10hr drive from my place. There's a Conroe Tx.Show coming up on Jan. 13 that I plan to attend and then the "BigOne"TheHouston LiveStock Show & RodeoFeb.27 -March 18, 07 which is less then an Houraway.:bunnydance::bunnydance::happybunny:

Mike E.

"Tell Me,I'll Forget"
"Show Me,I'll Remember"

Wow equine man or cowboy?

I'm new here too! Rabbits or great but their not like ahamster or rat! In fact they need a lot of attention andcare!! A lot more high maintance than a dog and a cat!!

Wow you sold your horses are u nuts!! I'm into hunter jumpershere in Michigan and been doing for almost 20 years and believe it ornot I still don't have a horse!! It's so much cheaper to rideeverybody else's horse, is what my dad says.

Anyways hope your girls get the bunnies that they want!!

cheers

:bunnydance:

Hello! Beanieand Welcome

You asked Equine Man or Cowboy?

Aren't they the Same Thing or did Someone changetheEquineto something other than a Horse when I wasn'tLookin!:no:didn't think so:winkhahaha!

I've had3surgeries on my Cervical Spineand 5 Disc removedandone wrong move by a horsecould KILLme so I think I made the right decision, Guess I'mnot Nuts either causemy little girls and I arejustlovin thethought of raisingBunnies.:bunnydance::bunnydance:

I know it takes a lot of work, I've live on a farm for 46years now, and raised and bred Tobiano Paints and Palamino's for over 8years and around 50 Cattle before that so I'm pretty sure Ican handle a fewlittle Bunnies butnowthatyou've pointed it outI'mnotso sure as I

hear their Pretty Feisty little Critters.:laugh:

I've been Researching Rabbitry for over 6 months and feel I'mpretty prepared andI've already reserved my breeding stockwitha top Holland Lopbreeder in Texas formid January Or February. :yes:so it's too late to turn backnow!:highfive:

The 2 Hollands in the above Pics are from a Localbreeder andhave 3 generations of pedigree with papersso their a goodstart andjustthebeginning!

Mike E.
"Tell Me,I'll Forget"
"Show Me,I'll Remember"

Welcome to the forum Mike!

We also gave up raising and showing horses to pursue the rabbit habit.

I homeschool my kids as well (ages 7, 16 & 18 - also have a 24 year old son).

We've had Hollands for over 16 years. My oldest son used toshow quite a bit, was in the top 20 (open)in the nation and#1 in Ohio a number of years ago.

Pam

http://www.geocities.com/pamnock/

pamnock

Thanks for the welcome and I've beentrying to read all your post for the last few weeks, I've areadylearned so much from reading them.

Your knowledge of Rabbits is Amazing and I just Love this site.

PS: Your Lops are beautiful!:inlove:

Thanks For All ThatYou Share!

Mike E.

"Tell Me,I'll Forget"
"Show Me,I'll Remember"

Hey Pam, it's not every day a handsome Texas cowboy tells a girl shehasbeautiful lops! :wink

Gladyou twohiit it off. :biggrin:

And yup, Mike, she is a gem! We're so glad to have her. (And she does have pretty lops, doesn't she?)

sas :rofl:

:welcome1how exciting for you and yourgirls! I just want to remind you of one very importantnecessitythat no one with bunnys should be with out...

DONT FORGET THE CAMERA!!:happydanceWe all love the bunny pics!! so be sure to share!!

Nice to meet you!

Shye,Nuggles, Nibbles

This is my holland lop Nuggles:bunnydance:

Hey Mike - don't forget to join us in therabbitry area when you get your rabbitry started. I'm sure you'll havelots of questions (some questions?) as the litters start coming....

May I ask who you're getting your Hollands from? Just curious...

I have a chocolate holland lop doe that I imported from California...Ijust love her. I also have my first holland lop - a buck who is brokenblack otter but carries chocolate. In my first litter from the two Igot a broken black doe and a chocolate otter buck. I'm wishing I'd keptthe little buck but someone else really wanted him.

I'm not really breeding hollands for show because I really don't knowenough about them. I'm into lionheads and they are my "love" (otherthan my flemish giant Tiny and my other rabbits).

Anyway - once you get going - join us in the rabbitry area!

Peg

And this is my Holland lop Nibbles. Yes shereally is a Holland lop:DI got her from a local breeder whoput an ad in the paper saying they needed to get rid of her asap. Shewas unwanted do to her not being show quality and they live in a smalltown and are well known for thier prise winning Holland Lop stock, andthey felt that if any of the bunny breeders/showers saw this "junkbunny" it would jeperdise thier good reputation. They said they dooften get bunnys that are not show quality" but this one is just anembaracment to the Holland Breed":mad:

Well, I think she couldnt be more perfect! Youknow what they say, "One mans junk is another mans treasures":yes:Iwould have to say I got the better end of this deal! and they willnever know what they are missing out on!!

Nibbles gets a:blueribbon:in my eyes!

Back