Newbie From California

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlancoBunBun

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am a new mom to a 1 year old one-eared rescue bunny. I saw his picture online after a shelter volunteer posted that he had little time before he was going to be euthanized. I immediately fell in love and knew I needed to save him.

His name is Blanco Bun Bun. He is my first bun baby - I also have a cat and a dog. We plan on working with a local rabbit rescue to help find a suitable bunny buddy for him to live with after his scars from neutering heal in about a month. I look forward to learning a lot here and sharing my bunny adventures!

I started a blog to document our struggles and accomplishments...
Blanco Bun Bun

Feel free to comment or give me any constructive criticism. I look forward to learning from you all!:happybunny:

We live in Southern California in the USA, near Los Angeles.

Hi there, and welcome to the forum :) Blanco is very lucky to have you!

I've just read through your blog and it seems like things are going well. I just thought I would mention, you said you were concerned about it getting a bit cold or wet. As long as he's well protected from wind and rain, bunnies do perfectly fine in the cold. However, rabbits are much more susceptible to hot weather, and since they lose most of their body heat through their ears, and Blanco only has one, you will probably have to be very careful through summer that he doesn't overheat. I think anything over 87 can become an issue. You can help keep him cool with frozen water bottles to rest against, a ceramic tile to lie on and feeding fresh, rinsed greens to keep up his water intake. You can also dampen his ears with water to aid heat loss. I just prefer to have Bandit inside any time it gets over this temperature, as it's better to be safe than sorry. Heatstroke is a big killer of bunnies.

Hi there, and welcome to the forum :) Blanco is very lucky to have you!

since they lose most of their body heat through their ears, and Blanco only has one, you will probably have to be very careful through summer that he doesn't overheat.

Thank you SO MUCH for this information! I had no idea about this. I will definitely be careful this summer and keep those frozen bottles handy! Luckily, I can see that his hutch has shaded areas inside of it (bottom and top) at ALL times during the day. I was a bit worried that the bottom part (where there is more airflow) would get a bit sunny for an hour or two in the afternoon.

I appreciate your help! I'm learning so much!
Debbie

:yeahthat: All of ours are rescues so they do come with challenges. Perseverance is the key and you have to train your bun, not let it train you. With time and patience you'll have a great companion. The only problem I see is guarding against heat--85 F can be fatal so all of our bunnies live inside with us. Spike used to ho in his litter box and then proceed to pee out side of it so I put it in a cardboard box with higher sides and cut dwon a small entrance and solved the problem.

I used to have a rabbit with one ear but unfortunately she died ure bun is so cute

Thank you SO MUCH for this information! I had no idea about this. I will definitely be careful this summer and keep those frozen bottles handy! Luckily, I can see that his hutch has shaded areas inside of it (bottom and top) at ALL times during the day. I was a bit worried that the bottom part (where there is more airflow) would get a bit sunny for an hour or two in the afternoon.

I appreciate your help! I'm learning so much!
Debbie

Not a problem at all :) That's good it stays shaded inside, the only problem with the top area, even though it's shaded inside, the sun hitting directly on the roof will warm it up inside. So the bottom area is likely to be cooler at that point. In any case, best to just keep an eye out for any signs of heat distress and bring him in when that happens. :)

I look forward to hearing more about how he progresses.

Latest posts

Back