Newbee looking for info......

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AprilBird4

Reaction score
I'm new here and new to bunnies. In fact........I don't have any. Yet.

I've gotten a lot of good info here and from all around. I've been 'digging' for about 3 months. I 'think' I've got a good bit of the basics down, but I want to get some more specific information.

I am planning on getting 2 Lionhead babies(spayed/neutered at the appropriate ages). I'm going to build them an NIC cage.

I'd like to hear from Lionhead owners on their bunnies personalities and such. I think I've found the right breed, but I'd like to hear more. I'd also like to hear from any Lionhead owner's (or other small breeds) with NIC cages as far as size and how high the levels are and the like. Pictures are very welcome.

I'd like to hear about what is the 'best; brand of hay and pellets.

I'd like to hear what brand/type of litter for the litter box is 'best'. Also types of litter boxes and what it is about them you like. Especially those with the small breeds.

I know 'best' is subjective. But I'd like to hear what folks like and why and I then I can figure out what will be 'best' for me and my bunnies. I'd like to take advatage of all the experience here rather than have to learn everything the 'hard' way!

Any good info (such as links to on-line rabbit supplies) about bunny care in general is welcome.

Thanks and I look forward to talk to you all more and sharing pictures some day.

Sorry, but I'm at work and don't have time to respond to your whole post. My question for you- what is your general location? Like your state or at least country? Can you put in your profile? It will help us answer your questions, because even with Lionheads they're different in different countries.

Also... because I know of several lionheads needing homes. Want a beautiful, friendlytortgirl who likes to sit in laps, be petted, and will be spayed before adoption?:biggrin2:

Hi there, welcome to the forum.

I don't have lionheads, but I do have lionhead size rabbits, so I'll try to answer the appropriate questions.

I'd also like to hear from any Lionhead owner's (or other small breeds) with NIC cages as far as size and how high the levels are and the like. Pictures are very welcome.

You might want to look at this thread, it's call NIC Cages only.

I have gone through three cages with mine, each time getting bigger to accomodate more rabbits.

This was the first one, it was for three babies, it is 2x3x3

Random13thewholecageinportrait.jpg

The second was for five adults, not living together, it was 4x2x5

2007_10060114.jpg

My current one is for 7 rabbits, some living together and that is 5x2x5. I don't have a pic of that though.

I'd like to hear about what is the 'best; brand of hay and pellets.

This is a harder question to answer as I don't know your location (country-wise) and its very different in different countries.

I'd like to hear what brand/type of litter for the litter box is 'best'. Also types of litter boxes and what it is about them you like. Especially those with the small breeds.

I use cat litter trays and they work great for mine. I use non clumping cat litter (wood pellet) and then give a generous covering of hay so they can go to the loo and munch. I have a couple who eat the pelleys and dehydrate themselves, so they have newspaper with a covering of hay.

Any good info (such as links to on-line rabbit supplies) about bunny care in general is welcome.

My best suggestion is to look at the Bunny 101 forum and also theRabbit Health forum, because there is so much in there that could help you.

Hope that helps somewhat :)

Sorry! I thought I had updated my profile with the basics. That has now been corrected.......;)

As for the rescues.....That was a struggle for me. I'm all for it. Too many of just about every animal out there. But being new, I really didn't want to try to tackle too many problems. When I found out bunnies do better in 'pairs', I thought mabye a new babie and a rescue, but then it seemd like two babies would be easier to bond. Again, being new.....Looking for the path with the least trouble. Of course....Who said babies weren't trouble?:p

I do not have a a baby (or babies) picked out yet. I'm still doing all my research and getting prepared. I'm such a sucker for a sweetie, I have to be careful I don't wander too far away from what I "really" want. I really want to stick with the Lionheads. But I'm not going to rule out a rescue. If you know of a Lionhead needing a good home in my area......I'm still open to that.

And, for the links here in this site.......I've read them all.....I think. But thank you and I may have missed some, so it never hurts.

Please keep the advise, suggestions and information coming......

You could try rescuing an already bonded pair because then you wouldn't have to wait time to spay/neuter them or go through the bonding process, risking that it might not work.

You might also find thatif you choose rabbits at a rescue, you come across personalities that you adore and want to have. It's far better to choose by personality than by looks because you could end up with a lionhead who hates you, but an 'ugly' mixed breedthat loves you and follows you around.

Again, still at work.;) But I wanted to let you know that getting a pair of babies does not mean that they will always be lifelong friends. Rabbits tend to change personality a lot when they hit puberty, around 3 months for small breeds. The new hormones make them more territorial and sometimes more aggressive, they may also want to be the dominant bun in the relationship where they used to be the submissive one. Fights are very common at this time, sometimes resulting in severe injury and/or the need to separate the buns till after spay/neuter. They can't always be rebonded.

I just had this happen with two tiny dwarf girls at the local shelter. One day I went in, they looked ok and the staff didn't mention any problems. They normally separate fighting buns, let me know if somebun is getting aggressive, or other bunny problems. I picked up one of the girls and found blood on her genitals where she was bitten by her sister. Thank goodness it wasn't bad, didn't require stitches and she recovered well, but they had to be separated and were adopted out separate. I have heard of another, similar case where the genital bite was much more messy and resulted in the rabbit dying. Cause is most likely one bun mounting the other's face (for dominance), bottom bun got mad and bit.

A note on baby buns in general, they're not always the best choice for a newb because of the personality changes they can go through in puberty. That's probably the number one reason why rabbits end up in shelters- they got "aggressive" and lost all litter training in puberty and the owner didn't care to figure out why, just dumped it at the shelter. You don't have to get an adult, it's still your choice. I just want you to know of some of the problems people have with baby rabbits. And if you can't find an adult of a specific breed or personality in a rescue near you, many breeders will rehome adult rabbits that they no longer wish to breed, for example if they find that one is carrying a gene that isn't desirable andit's showing up in the babies. Also, if they were show rabbits then they would already be used to frequent handling and strangers.

Wow! I just wrote a lot!

Also, check out our Lagomorph Library for tons of info on care, health issues, behavior, etc.:)

Thank you all for the input and advise.:D

Babies of any kind always come with their problems (especially skin kids!;)), but I don't give up that easy. However, being aware of the issues helps greatly.

I had really only been thinking 1 bunny until I had read that bunnies do better in pairs. I did think I was getting 'around' the bonding issue by going with two babies right of the get go, so I appreciate knowing there can still be problems there. No biggy separating until a spay & neuter took place but the fact that the hard feeling may make bonding perhaps even not possible is not something had been aware of.

Babies have their pluses and minuses. Adults have good points and bad. But the more I know, the better prepared I can be. As long as I can make an informed decission, be it two babies, rescues or a combo, I'll be good. And it sounds like this will be a good place to come for any bumps I run into. As I'm sure to run into a few.

Thanks!!

I just wanted to apologise for my lack of useful comments and not explaining myself. I was dosed up on medication, so I am sorry about that, however, naturestee made excellent points and hopefully explained well.

I had a litter of 7 last year and kept them all. They started off as a quad and a trio, then down into two pairs and three singles and eventually I had them all single because they just fought, and fought really nastily. Now, 10 months on, I have one fully bonded trio and four singles, so it really is hit and miss with babies.

If you do decide to get babies, please make sure you go to a reputable breeder and that the babies are 8 weeks or older. That avoids issues such as bad breeders and also it lessens the chance of the baby have gastro problems due to being separated from mum to young.

You are right in what you say about pros and cons to any situation, and I hope the forum can help you with whomever you get and whatever you need.

Just thought that I'd mention, that you can often get young rabbits as well as older ones from shelters/rescues/or rehomes. So you could get a younger one, but still get it from a shelter or something.

I have a lionhead that I got as a rehome, and he was only 8 months old when I got him - so still young, but old enough to be fixed and not in that messy baby stage anymore.

I work closly with rabbit rescues around my area and they get lots of younger rabbits in - one's that are under a year old. Especially in the few months after easter. A lot of people think that they'll only find older animals in shelters, and that isn't the case - they're young and old alike!

Sorry to high jck But I was wondering were yall get yalls NIC cage panels from I was going to start loading up on them.

To build them a nic cage next month but I cant find them I have looked at wal mart

Target

I am going to home depo and office max tomorrow

But is there a place where people know for sure to get them
Ok I called my target back after looking at the tread NIC cage

They have them in stock and I will be buying 7 boxes next week

I am building a cage for chevy and another for dodge

And I will be buying tile from flooring store in my area

where is a good place to get toys I cant seem to find reall good ones like what yall have in the tread.

So any good place let me know

Next weekend......19th & 20th........they are having a 'pet expo' in my area. The "House Rabbit Society" is having a booth. I'm going to go and talk to them. I do have a breeder I have been researching and figure I will go to 'if' I get babies or a baby, but since I'm still getting prepared, researching and don't have anything set in stone or in a big hurry......I figure it won't hurt to put out feelers for a young (or not 'so' young) Lionhead or maybe even two. You are right about right after Easter maybe being a 'prime time' for bunnies needing homes.

And for the NIC cubes..........My Target has a nice selection, but they are under another brand name. Not "Neat Idea's Cubes". I think it is something like "organize It". I know both Target and Wa-mart have them on-line, but the price isn't near as good and then you've got the shipping. Wal-mart does have 'ship to store', which would eliminate the shipping, I think. None of my Wal-Marts have them in the stores, either.

When you talk to the HRS let them know you're interested in the lionhead breed. I know that the St Louis chapter has several lionheads in foster care. They're still feeling the effects of the 100+ rabbits dumped overnighton the Humane Society of Missouri (St Louis) a few short months ago.

As a former lionhead breeder - may I ask that if you're looking at breeders - you consider checking out the lionhead website and see breeders who are listed with the NALRC (North Amercian Lionhead Rabbit Club)?

The reason I say this is tha a lot of folks breed lionheads - but the ones who are members of the club are frequently more knowledgeable about lionheads and hopefully less likely to be a backyard breeder.

http://www.lionhead.us/breeders.htm#MISSOURI

The only one I see listed for Missouri is Buffalo Creek Farms and if Kelly is the one you're thinking of - she's AWESOME. She raises her rabbits to be like pets and I have several of them....I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend her. You can find her "for sale" list here:

http://www.buffalocreekfarms.net/lionheadrabbitsforsale.php

TinysMom........

I just sawyou post about your last litter and was going to send you a private message so as not to tie up your post, but hadn't figure out how yet. :p

I have been trying my best to do my research first and I have been to the Lionhead Club site you mentioned and it just so happens THAT is the breeder I have been talking to. It is good hear good things from folks who are more knowledgeable than I! I thought I had found a good breeder, but this makes me feel even better.

If you (or anyone) get a chance......... I’d like to hear more. I'm just trying to find out more about personality, 'quirks' just any old thing about Lionheads 'in general'. I know each bunny is an individual and I have found enough that it sounds like this is the breed for me, but I always want 'more'.

All the sites I see seem to be about breeding and standards. I don't want to breed, I want pets. While I like the look of them (needless to say) 'perfect manes' aren't my top priority. But I did want to go to a ‘quality’ breeder, because, health, temperament and someone I can ask questions of is a priority. Kelly has always answered my questions, but try to send her ‘specific’ questions so not to take up her time. I’m sure when I go to see her I will be able to gather a lot more info, but in the mean time………I just want to hear as much as possible about them. If nothing else, its fun!

I am also going to keep my eyes & ears open for a Lionhead rescue that might work out, too. Maybe it will be one of each. Either way, there is no such thing as too much information.

Thanks again to everyone...........

I will say this about Kelly.

She is not overly popular among many lionhead breeders because of a couple of things....

• Her rabbits have long ears - and most breeders are trying to get away from that - I notice that Kelly's rabbits have also been getting better for shorter ears
  • Her rabbits aren't "showable" colors.....she works with a lot of the odder colors
  • She doesn't strive as much for "show quality'
  • and she pretty much lets it be known she breeds for pets.
A lot of people from across the US buy from her because her rabbits are so unique in colors and because she is so good at socializing her rabbits.

I love Kelly as a person - and I love the rabbits I have of hers. I have had...10 or more maybe? I'd have to sit down and think about it.

Almost all of them came to me pretty well socialized. Of course they all have their own personalities that develop - but they have been well adjusted when I've received them. They are among my favorite rabbits too....Saphira is here at my desk and I adore her. Slade is out in the garage but he's a favorite of my whole family. Maggie Mae (who you may see in my blogs and has lost her mane) is from Kelly and she is just so personable even if she is not social with either rabbits or people.

I will say this - no matter who you get your lionheads from....if keeping the mane is important to you - make sure the mane wool has a "crimped" look to it - as if you had taken a crimper to it. If it has that - it will most likely stay...

Feel free to PM me with more questions - but I highly recommend Kelly - and you can even tell her I (Peg Flint) said that!

To send a private message - click on the name of the person you want to send a message to....a box should come up and one option should be "send private message"

Another option is to look at the top of the screen where it says something like "no new messages" ... and click on it. That will bring you to your personal mailbox for pms and you can type my name in a new message and send one that way too!

That is EXACTLY what I want to hear. I don't want to show. I just want happy, healthy, well socialized buns. The mane isn't huge for me. Thanks you so much and I will be sure to mention you. And...........you may be getting some PMs from me, too. Thanks again, soo much!

Latest posts

Back