new zealand whites wont breed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tfb4me

Reaction score
Hi to all on here..For those that know me, know we have 2 newzealand whites added to our family. both are 12 to 14 months old. When I put the doe in the bcks hutch the buck goes and hides in the corner with his head down and eyes closed..The doe just happily runs around eating his food and drinking his water. Im not to sure what to do at this point.I was wondering if its ok to just leave the 2 of them alone. I was told to watch because they can get hurt. Im thinking they dont like being watched. If i were to leave them alone for the day while at work is that a good idea?

nevermind found a site that doenst mind helping us meat breeders..Why dont they put a section for us meat breders seperate from all the other boards on here. that way everyone doesnt have to read what we type and do on here? It just seems silly to me when everyone on here eats meat. :nasty:..stupid if you ask me....

[align=center]I'm not trying to start a fight or anything- but the fact you said "It just seems silly to me when everyone on here eats meat. ..stupid if you ask me...." is crazy...

Do you have dogs or cats as pets? I'm sure you don't eat cat or dog meat but you eat other meat... it's the same for us.

We have beloved rabbits as our pets/children and we don't want to eat rabbits that could have been someone's beloved pet as well.

Ya I noticed, my bad. so lets let the meat breeders rabbits suffer cause their owners are stupid...see what I'm getting at here? It just doesn't make sense. Yes I have 2 dogs and some fish, no I wont eat them. But to me its like saying that chicken owners that keep chickens as pets shouldn't eat them. They are food to us andno more. Does that mean in your opinion that I shouldn't get get the information to do things correctly? Please understand we do this with muchcompassion and as humanely as possible?

I think that if you want to know about "stuff" dealing with your "meat rabbit breeding" then you should look for a forum for that type of stuff rather than had joined a PET rabbit forum where we see them as family, not food. You may get a lot more help if you joined a forum that deals with breeding meat rabbits instead.

ok i dont mind helping you with your question because i used to raise californians for meat pens in FFA. I have eaten rabbit and its quite good and really tastes no different than chicken. With this economy i see no problem with raising your food its very self sufficient and people do what they need to to survive. Not all of us on here see animals as just pets.

So my opinion. Ok so if i get this right both animals are just at a year or above. At one year old the doe might be hard to get bred. We are told to breed a doe for her first litter before a year. Also If this is her first time then its understandable why she wouldnt be throwing herself at the buck. I had a brit i was breeding for the first time. She was almost a year old and didnt rear for the buck but he did penetrate. The doe didnt take so we tried again and second time she actually reared for him. I was proud lol

questions to help:
Whats the weather like where you live?
Where are the bunnies housed in relation to each other? (Sometimes if a buck smells the does scent this will arouse him)
And is this both their first time breeding?

ANDD I wanted to post this as a reminder of the rabbitry room policy

This forum is THE RABBITRY and a place for information involving breeds and breeding.

If you are not a breeder, you don't support breeding and you have nothing of note to contribute to a thread beyond expressing an opinion on breeding, PLEASE DON'T POST.

Rabbitry Moderators and fellow breeders should be the ones overseeing and responding to these topics. They have the knowledge and the mandate. (Breeders don't post in the 'Rescue Me' forum with suggestions like 'why not buy a purebred from a breeder?' They deserve the same courtesy in their own area).

All members are welcome to express their opinions on posts outside the Rabbitry area although all members are also being asked to remember RabbitsOnline.net is designed to be totally non-judgmental and non-confrontational. PLEASE RESPECT THAT IN EVERY AREA!

woahlookitsme wrote:
ANDD I wanted to post this as a reminder of the rabbitry room policy

This forum is THE RABBITRY and a place for information involving breeds and breeding.

If you are not a breeder, you don't support breeding and you have nothing of note to contribute to a thread beyond expressing an opinion on breeding, PLEASE DON'T POST.

Rabbitry Moderators and fellow breeders should be the ones overseeing and responding to these topics. They have the knowledge and the mandate. (Breeders don't post in the 'Rescue Me' forum with suggestions like 'why not buy a purebred from a breeder?' They deserve the same courtesy in their own area).

All members are welcome to express their opinions on posts outside the Rabbitry area although all members are also being asked to remember RabbitsOnline.net is designed to be totally non-judgmental and non-confrontational. PLEASE RESPECT THAT IN EVERY AREA!
Way to go woahlookitsme

Well I personally don't have a problem breeding rabbits for meat if thats the intention was when buying the rabbit. The time I have a problem with it is when someone like me buys a rabbit for a petthen someone else like my mom tells me since I have a doe I need to get a buck so that I can breed them and she can eat the babies. Thats when I have a problem with it. However whenever I get around to having ferrets I do want to breed feeder rabbits for them but that will be the intention for those rabbits unlike Freckles whose intention is to be a pet.

tfb4me wrote:
nevermind found a site that doenst mind helping us meat breeders..Why dont they put a section for us meat breders seperate from all the other boards on here. that way everyone doesnt have to read what we type and do on here? It just seems silly to me when everyone on here eats meat. :nasty:..stupid if you ask me....
Wrong. I for one, do not eat meat. ;)

I agree that we are a PET rabbit forum and not a meat rabbit forum. I see my cute little rabbits as pets/family and will never eat them. I love them too much.

Way to go woahlookitsme and Yield!!!!!!!

tfb4me: why wouldn't we be meat eaters? We are carnivores, we eat meat. Some of us just choose to not eat rabbit, that is our choice. A lot of us have pet rabbits and they are a part of the family.

Our Rabbits are intended for consumption olny. They are nice to have around and can see why they would be loved as pets. Its not like I'm breeding a speciality pet breed and consuming them. New Zealand whites and Cali's were bred to produce fur and meat.
As far as woahlookitsme's questions I would now like to answer them
"What's the weather like where you live?"
Well its early spring (almost) were in Ontario Canada. the weather has been bright sunny and below freezing at night.Well above freezing in the day

"Where are the bunnies housed in relation to each other? (Sometimes if a buck smells the does scent this will arouse him) "
They are in a custom built hutch I made and they reside in 2 separate hutches side by side.Ill post pics below if that will help
"And is this both their first time breeding?"
Yes they are both first timers and the buck hasn't been "proven" per say. However these rabbits come from a very reputable breeder. He says they should be fine once they settle in for a couple of weeks, and when the weather warms a little.
Now id like to take the chance to explain why I'm on this particular site If I may. This site was a referral from a currant member. I wont mention any names. This site comes highly recommended by this said member. I was told there were highly intelligent and very friendly members on board here. I was also told its taboo to mention meat breeding on here, but I cant get needed answers without telling the truth. I'm not a liar and I'm not about to become one appease the masses on RO. I would with that rational and my thoughts earlier that all rabbit lovers on this board should and be willing to lend a hand without their opinions if not for the breeder but for the well being of the animals themselves. Please note that in the pictures below the hutches were not finished. Feeders and waters have recently been installed and door openingscut into the cages, all while they were having thier garden time.

P2239339.jpg

P2239346.jpg

Sweetie I get where your comming from and this is why I have found another site, so in fact by asking more questions your actually responsible for keeping this "meat breeding" discussion open. Anyway I thought you were supposed to keep opinions to yourself in this pericular section?

P.s we build custom built rabbit hutches and city chicken coops if anyone is interested in a rabbit condo for thier children, err, ahh | mean rabbits.

Please PM me who told you that I was to keep my opinions out of this peculiar section, please.

I can post in any section of this forum. I sometimes post my opinions in the Rabbitry and Show Room. I don't post all the time, because there are some topics I don't know about.

I was just curious is all about your post, that is all.

I believe the OP was referring to the quote i put up and mainly the point of
"If you are not a breeder, you don't support breeding and you have nothing of note to contribute to a thread beyond expressing an opinion on breeding, PLEASE DON'T POST."

Well if they havent been at your house for long and or they have been moved around alot(such as transferred via a show) the buck might still be taking it all in. His behavior could be an identification of stress. How long have you had them. I would let the buck settle in a little more before trying to breed them. Be aware this doe may not have a litter because she is over a year. It may take 3-4 trys with the buck even penetrating but no litter before she has one. Or i might just be wrong and she could have one the first try though this would be rare.

Oh and yours have nice hutches. Way to keep them out of the cold. Good luck and keep those interested up to date

Latest posts

Back