New Zealand Rabbit Owner needing advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laus

Reaction score
:wave:Hi I am new here and I need some advice Please, I have a New Zealand White Rabbit she is about 3 months old, she was a free to good home rabbit, she is a house bun with a pen not a cage,
When she came to live with us she was in the back sitting room she had a large run about 12 ft squared, She has been moved into the front room and her pen made a little smaller ,its still quite large. I have done this for several reason, In the front room she would just hide as soon as any one came into the room and she wasn't getting the time she deserves so I have moved her to be with us, the problem I have is she acts like a wild rabbit she is so scared of us and any noise, she spends about 80 % of her time in her house, I sit with her and read to her now she is in the front room she gets people with her all day, but as soon as any one looks at her she flees, I cant give her free range as she is so scared, I would love to give her about 3 hours a day free time, Please help me with any ideas as to just get her less scared, I am so sad that she is so scared.

How long have you had her? She might have had a bad experience in her other home that has her acting skitish or it might just be her personality. Maybe with more time and a consistent routine, she will calm down.

I have had her over a month. so not long at all but she is acting like a wild rabbit. when we got her she had been kept in a small holding with a child owner so unsure if that is effecting her

put her in a smaller cage where you can keep her right with you. Bribe her with food and treats. Take slow steps and she will come around. Hold her, pick her up, snuggle her in a towel once or twice a day - keeping her REALLY well supported the whole time, or even put her in a box to pet her/hold her. BUT mostly, just offer her good treats... AND ONLY give her treats when you are there. Soon she'll think.. I like that food.. hmm... that person gives me that food.. hmm.. maybe they aren't so bad after all.

Explanation for why this helps.

If she is in too big of a space and can run and hide she has no reason to change her behaviour.
if she is in a smaller area, with less places to run and hide in she has no reason to change...what she is doing is working for her.
So you are limiting her options and forcing her to confront her fears... AH>> predator approaching HIDE!!!! (this mindset is natural to rabbits, keeps them safe in the wild). SO you need to help her change that mindset a bit.

by putting her in a smaller cage (covering it helps) and offering high value treats (parsley, oatmeal, cilantro etc) you are helping her to see that you are not a predator and not to be feared.

Works for breeders with skittish rabbits... so should work well for pet person with skittish rabbit as well. :)

NOW.. if you want to give her time out of the smaller area for exercise... you can easily set her up in her area in a quiet spot and just ignore her. Let her run for two - three hours, then put her back in her smaller area where she can be right with you. for treats and what not.

She can and will come around given time and incentive to do so. :)

what size cage is recommended for her ? I am the only one that feeds her but she is fear full of me , I will try the treat idea, and I will do the towel idea with her, Should I remove her hide ?

Does she come out of her hidey house when you feed her?
At her age she's probably on unlimited pellets, so you'd have to find a different treat that she likes, but I've got my adult buns convinced that their pellets are a treat they have to do something for (although their current "trick" is climbing into my lap to eat them). Start by just hanging out quietly near her and ignoring her. Buns are curious enough that eventually they'll come over and check you out. Resist the urge to cuddle them at that point though, just let her check you out. Then I like to leave treats near me and eventually on me and work up to feeding them out of my hand.

Latest posts

Back