New Zealand Male NEEDS HOME ASAP

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daisyandoliver

Reaction score
Here is my original post on the Infirmary forum.

So good news this isn't my rabbit.

He is a New Zealand rabbit. Not sure of age at all. Male and not neutered. He came from Canada about a year ago from a shower/breeder. He is my boyfriends rabbit because my boyfriend shows and he needed a good looking male to breed. Well as of recently he is getting very skinny fast. I noticed it today when i helped feed. He looks unhealthy in general. I pet him and could completely feel his shoulder bones, spine, ribs, everything. He eats all of his food and drinks all of his water. His one back leg looks limp and when I touch it it feels like its sideways. He doesn't notice when I touch it though. Well my boyfriend at the moment doesn't make enough money to take him to the vet and his parents wont help. So I'm going to take him to the vet to try and see whats wrong. But then I'll need to find him a home. So my question is does anyone have an idea what could be wrong? And does anyone know what I could do to find him a home afterward if he is saveable.

A little more about him and his character. He is the sweetest guy ever. I've pet him and held him multiple times he does get a little nervous being picked up off the ground but what rabbit doesn't. I reached my hand in to pet him today and he nuzzled his head right up against my head and was basically begging for pets. He is sick right now but I am willing to take him to the vet and get him checked out before he goes to his new home if he finds one. Though it might be a week or so before I have the money to take him. I live in Moravia, New York. I would be willing to drive a good distance or meet halfway to give him. He wouldn't come with much, probably just dishes if you needed them. Unless someone wants him right away to take him to the vet if that is possible. Contact me on here or via email [email protected] if your interested at all or have any ideas for me to find him a home.

I REALLY WANT TO FIND HIM A HOME; It may seem cruel to some but when rabbits are sick my boyfriends dad kills them. My boyfriend really has no say in it because his dad shows too and they can't risk the others getting sick if it is anything wrong. I know he has killed 2, one because it was blind, deaf, not eating or pooping was 10+ years old and couldn't do anything not even move. I guess that was for the best but he kills them by hand literally nothing but his hands. I'm afraid for the little guy because I hope he can be saved.

I can get a picture of him within the next few days when I go up there next if anyone would be interested.

an experienced person can kill a rabbit more quickly using his hands then a vet can using meds AND the rabbit doesn't even know what hit him. (just saying).

But hopefully the meds do the trick and you are able to find him a permanent placement (unless of course he is permanently ill making a death a merciful end to suffering).

Back