new toys and newly gained freedom

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnaS

Reaction score
Well, I thought Chernish was way too sad for a bunny, so I decided to spice his life a bit.
First we made his room bunny proof, at least we think so:?, so now hespends entire night outside of the cage playing. He is very active atnight and sleeps usually during the day.

Second from the advise I got from the toys thread on the forum, I madea digging/playing box for him. He loves to dig and explore.
He loved the box, since it has a lot of windows and a sunroof. I filledthe box with shredded paper and lots of hay. He spent most of the nightplaying with it.

Also I am planning to get him some throwing toys.
Today I gave him a big paper clip. Do you think its a safe toy? He throws it around which makes a lot of noise in the cage.

Anybody have any ideas about toys he can throw around?

how big is the paperclip? You want tomake sure it is safe for a small child. Dont want Chernish toswallow a piece.

The cheapest and best toys I have found are things that babies liketoo. Your local discount store you can find teething rattles,keys, chains.

Also, the container that Quakers Oats come in is a favorite, speciallywhen you place a piece of fruit at the bottom, and then fill it withhay or shredded paper.

Hard plastic toys are best, things like plastic slinkies, car toys with bells on them

and even interactive things! I have a pole with a feather dangler usedfor cats that I play with Guinevere with. She boxes with it,chases it, and tries to eat it.

Also, a towel might be fun for the bun to push around and bunch, as long as he isnt an eater of cloth!

Used toiletpaper rolls can be fun too =)

And if Chernish is lonely, try getting him a stuffed rabbit toy tocuddle. Guinevere loved hers until I got her a real babybunny to cuddle hehe

bunsforlife wrote:
how big is the paperclip? You want to make sure it is safe for a small child. Dont want Chernish to swallow a piece.

The cheapest and best toys I have found are things that babies liketoo. Your local discount store you can find teething rattles, keys,chains.

Also, the container that Quakers Oats come in is a favorite, speciallywhen you place a piece of fruit at the bottom, and then fill it withhay or shredded paper.

Hard plastic toys are best, things like plastic slinkies, car toys with bells on them

and even interactive things! I have a pole with a feather dangler usedfor cats that I play with Guinevere with. She boxes with it, chases it,and tries to eat it.

Also, a towel might be fun for the bun to push around and bunch, as long as he isnt an eater of cloth!

Used toiletpaper rolls can be fun too =)

And if Chernish is lonely, try getting him a stuffed rabbit toy tocuddle. Guinevere loved hers until I got her a real baby bunny tocuddle hehe

The paper clip is definitely too big for him to eat. I think its even too heavy for him to throw, but he tries anyway.
He has a stuffed bunny toy that he loves to groom a lot.
He has toilet paper rolls, but he keeps throwing them in the litter box and they get wet.
The floor is covered with a towel since he is afraid to walk on the floor, its too slippery.

Its a really good idea to get a container from potato chips
or something similar(I don't think we have Quaker Oats in plasticcontainers) and use it to hide treats.Does it have to be something hecan fit his head into?

As for rattle toys, I'll go look at baby toys.

Thanks a lot for great advices.

I have the play/dig box, a stuffed Elmo forcampanion, a ball that she throws down her ramp, old toilet paper roll,old sock of mine, and some bird toys attached to her cage.The bird toy with a bell at the end she loves to make lots of noisewith.

babymommy wrote:
I have the play/dig box, a stuffed Elmo for campanion, a ballthat she throws down her ramp, old toilet paper roll, old sock of mine,and some bird toys attached to her cage. The bird toy with a bell atthe end she loves to make lots of noise with.

Yeah, I am sure it will be fun for him to make lots of noise, but at night I don't think it will be a great idea:D

Is old sock a safe toy? I have lots of those.:)

AnnaS wrote:
Anybody have any ideas about toys he can throw around?
Tucker will toss his food dish and his Slinky around.

-Carolyn

We all keep our doors closed at night, so we don't usually hear her making too much noise.

The socks, she just pushes around or carries around. She occassionally nibbles on them.:p

Quakers oats containers are usually cardboard ifI remember correctly. Guess its time for me to go make someoatmeal raisin cookies hehe.

Heck... I just discovered that Gir LOVES paper bags. He ishopping in and out of the one I brought home some groceries in hehe.

bunsforlife wrote:
Quakers oats containers are usually cardboard if I remembercorrectly. Guess its time for me to go make some oatmeal raisin cookieshehe.

Heck... I just discovered that Gir LOVES paper bags. He is hopping in and out of the one I brought home some groceries in hehe.

Its easy for him to do, he is small. I am not sure if my bunny would fit into a paper bag.:D

Not unless it comes in paper!

The trick is to get things that they can chew on safely.Plastic kitty or baby toys are too hard for them to bite through toeat, but things like cardboard or the paper tube that quakers oats comein can be digested if they decide they want extra fiber hehe.

Just like if you were buying toys for a baby, look for small parts thatcould come loose and be swallowed. Even things like a smallwater bottle with some pebbles in it can be fun. My bun lovesbaby food tops. She throws them, clinks them together or runsthem along the cage bars.

Back