New to the forums and rabbits in general. :)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DelightfulEccentricity

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Kyle, I'm new to both these forums and to rabbits in general. I'm a professional dog groomer and avid animal-lover, and recently was turned on to the idea of keeping rabbits. :)

My brother kept a few rabbits when we were kids (always Dutch Dwarf does) and I had some very, very negative experiences with his succession of evil-tempered beasts. Every last one of his rabbits was a vicious thing...he'd inevitably grow tired of them and suddenly nobody was feeding or watering them, so the chore of caring for them would fall to me. Every rabbit he ever had was a snarling, growling psychopath bent on ripping my hands off...I have no idea why his were so awful, but it led me to assume that almost all rabbits are horrible, terrible pets. My best friend had a huge Lop who was a total sweetheart, but I always thought he was one-in-a-million.

Well...more than a decade after my last rabbit encounter, I decided to reconsider the species as a whole...and was almost immediately smitten with a lovely Rex doe. She came as a package deal with a very handsome if skittish buck; I've named them Jameson and Dempsey, respectively. :) Every time I pet Jameson or pick her up, I'm astounded by how she isn't biting, kicking or growling at me. She comes out of her hide-box when I walk into the room and stands on her back legs as if to say "O HI, what did you bring me?" I never thought about it before, but until I acquired Jameson and Dempsey, I'd never actually seen a rabbit eat anything before...my brother's rabbits wouldn't stop growling and attacking the bars until I was out of the room. I can't get over how adorable they are when eating, they are little nomming machines! (Incidentally, because I'm still a little wary of rabbits, and Dempsey is a bit skittish, my roommate is socializing him for me at the moment since I don't want him to sense my anxiety and get even more scared. My roommate has some previous experience with rabbit-keeping, as my knowledge is limited at this time.)

Right now they are living in some massive spare dog crates I happened to already have (I will admit, I wanted rabbits but didn't expect them so soon, but I couldn't pass Jameson up!) and I am actually working on constructing some custom hutches. :) Nothing too overly fancy but something roomy and functional. :) At the moment they seem happy enough where they are, though!

I've come to the conclusion that my brother must have done something pretty horrible to his rabbits to make them so vicious. They were all unrelated and yet had the same behavior problems...and my brother was a rather terrible person; he was vicious, mentally ill and tended to torment my cat and my dad's dogs, and ultimately he was never able to hold a job, was constantly in trouble with the law, and ultimately died due to drowning (he got high, went for a swim, blacked out due to the chemicals he'd taken). I'm also very glad I've given rabbits a second chance, turns out I had no idea how great they can be! Now if only I could get decent photos of my Jameson... ;)

I would like to welcome you to Rabbits Online, my name is Dave and I am a moderator on the forum. So if I can be of any help please let me know. This is a terrific website for rabbits and their slaves, not only is it very active but also friendly. I am so glad you’re here and I know you will enjoy it.

Many bunnies’ recommend their slaves to this site so we may learn of others methods to keeping our furry masters happy.

If you everhave a sick bunny, please post in The Infirmary and include your rabbit's age, breed and health history as well diet and output details leading up to the problem.

Here are somelinks I thought you might find interesting:

*For reference the Library section

*To brag or tell everyone about the antics of your bunny or just to talk about your day here is where to start a Bunny Blog, you can also look back at it later and remember when you had a life before your bunny.

*Now all the bunny’s like talk to each other when we mere slaves aren’t around in the Bunny Chat is the spot to be.

*The House Rabbit Society has a lot of good information on what veggies are safe for bunny’s, etc.

*Here is a link to learn what your furry master is trying to say to you How to Understand Your Bunny's Language

*Rabbits Online also has regional forums , this a good way to find a vet in your area that has experience with rabbits and to find out from other nearby of good sources of rabbit supplies.

The Let Your Hare Down section is for anything non-bunny related.

Here is a link tothat will help you and your bunny to connect, How to Bond with Your Bunny.

Now every forum has rules and ours can be found with this link Rabbits Online Forum Rules. This gives guidelines on what is acceptable, what is not and how we hope everyone will treat each other.

Everyone on this forum loves to see pictures of each other’s bunnies. So if you would like to post a picture this link will help you do that, Upload Photo's to Photo Gallery. Then in the post, you click on the "G" in the tool bar to insert your photo. Many people also use Photobucket. You just copy the img file and paste it into the post.

Don’t hesitate to ask questions and I am glad you have joined rabbits online; I look forward to seeing you around.

So sorry to hear about your loss and your rabbit experience. But am so glad you decided to give them another chance! They really are wonderfuly little creatures with the own individual personalities. I could sit and watch them for hours!

Welcome to RO!

Thanks Dave! :) I appreciate the links, I've still got a lot to learn. :)

Also, thank you jeanluc_pippen_merry. :) I'm fascinated by all my furry (and not so furry) children, but the rabbits are in a category all their own. I think my favorite part of watching them is when they eat! :D Can't get over how cute it is. Also had a major breakthrough, skittish little Dempsey deigned to eat a bit of Romaine that I was holding. First time he's ever taken anything from my hand! :D

Thanks, Nancy McClelland! :)

Latest posts

Back