New to Site, New to Bunnies!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

immokk

Reaction score
Hi all,

Found this site while trawling the internet for information about bunnies. For a week or so my mum kept seeing a rabbit in her garden. I went at the weekend and there it was, a beautiful thing hopping around and eating the grass. It was obvious that the rabbit was not wild and so we approached and the rabbit, at first reluctantly (but without aggression) let us stroke his/her nose.

Not knowing what to do we stupidly left it to fend for itself but both my husband and I were concerned so googled and discovered that the rabbit was unlikely to survive soooo the next day we went to see if we could see bunny and there he/she was. We coaxed it in with some banana and then carefully picked it up. Once I held it to my chest it calmed down and I took it home where we have a reasonably large, outdoor hutch we use when rescuing abandoned hedgehogs (obviously, currently devoid of hedgehogs)

We've advertised the rabbit with a limited description but ... well, no takers yet so it's looking likely that we've aquired a rabbit... which, frankly, I'm not feeling too bad about. He or she is absolutely beautiful and we're currently just calling it Bugs.

Healthy and seemingly happy, we will be waiting until next week. If no takers we'll be sexing (any tips) and off to the vet for a check up.

I'm a bit in love with the little tyke already, as it happens... so any tips, anything I should know etc... would be really useful.

We've got a dog so Bugs can't be a house bunny, which is unfortunate, but we're trying to do what is best for both animals.

We've got some fresh mint, basil, parsley, feeding hay and some rabbit food (thought we're only putting small quantities of this in). We've also got carrots (for maybe oncce or twice a week, same for parsnips) anything else?

What about toys? And keeping warm in the winter? And grooming? Washing?

eek... feel so inexperienced but at the same time, I'd rather Bugs was with us then afraid :)

:wave: I'm certain that you are now a bunny slave. Seen all kinds of ads for "found" bunnies but have never seen one for a "lost" bunny so it was probably tossed out by some "blanking blanketty blank". There is a lot of info in the library section and you can scan thru older topics as questions here seem to be highly duplicated. Check your area for any rescue societies as they are a great source of info too. Welcome and congrats!

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I've got a feeling it would be a wrench now if someone claimed Bugs! I'll have a nip around some topics for the advice and thanks for ther welcome.

Didn't think I'd ever find a rabbit so fascinating but watching Bug's clean himself/ herself was one the single cutest things I think I've ever seen (unlike the dog who happily rolls around in mud and wouldn't wash himself if his life depended on it!)

welcome to RO! rabbits are so easy to fall for - I've had my two for four months and I still squee every time I see one of them washing her little face!

info on sexing rabbits - http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/sexing.shtml

here are some of my favorite rabbit sites, lots of great info:
http://www.rabbit.org/index.html
http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/diet.html#babies
http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/spay-neuter.html
http://www.3bunnies.org/feeding.htm
http://binkybunny.com/BUNNYINFO/tabid/53/Default.aspx
http://language.rabbitspeak.com/
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=75235&forum_id=48 - first aid kit info
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_forum.php?id=9 - rabbit savvy vet listings
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=53690&forum_id=93 - great litter box system; I highly recommend the grid even if you don't want to build the whole thing (check 1/3 of the way down the first page)

as far as keeping warm in winter goes... rabbits handle the cold very well. the main threat in winter is drafts, so make sure the hutch is sealed up enough to protect him from the wind. straw's a great insulator (hay works too, though not quite as well) so providing it as bedding helps. if it's going to get below freezing, a heated bottle/bowl is a good idea so that you're not constantly changing out frozen water.

they eat an awful lot of hay and pet-store bags are a total rip-off... a great way to cut costs is to buy hay by the bale from a feed store (in the states, it's usually around $9-14 per bale vs $15-16 for a 6 lb bag from a pet store!). as long as you keep it somewhere dry where bugs and stuff won't get in it, it'll last you for as long as it takes him to eat the whole bale.

ANY type of grass hay works (timothy, orchard grass, meadow, bermuda, coastal, oat, wheat, etc... though with "cereal" type hays like oat and wheat you want to pick out any bunches of oats or w/e as the extra carbs are no good for bunnies).

feel free to ask us any questions you've got - we're always happy to answer them :)

Congratulations on your new rabbit! Depending on the temperment of your dog, it is possible for rabbits and dogs to get along and live together, but if that isn't a possibility then you'll want to winterize your hutch. It really just depends what your hutch is like. Your rabbit will need protection from the wind. Some people will use a tarp, plastic, or even a blanket to provide wind protection, depends on your current setup. Also you will want to put a bunch of hay in there to provide insulation from the cold, and you'll need a way to keep your rabbits water from freezing. If it doesn't get too cold where you are at, you might just be able to refresh the water morning and night. There are also heated rabbit water bottles and dishes. You just have to make sure that the cord can't be chewed by the rabbit at all.

Mostly grooming just needs to be done when your rabbit is shedding, and you don't ever need to wash your rabbit, in fact you really shouldn't wash a rabbit unless absolutely necessary. Sometimes washing will overly stress a rabbit. Rabbits are constant groomers, so they pretty much keep themselves clean.

Any toys you'll want to make sure are rabbit safe. You don't want to use anything with unsafe woods, things with strings that the rabbit can chew and swallow. Cardboard toilet paper rolls are a good cheap rabbit toy. You can cut them into rings that are good for tossing around. Some people will stuff hay in them. Hard dried pine cones are a good chew toy. I have a willow tree near by so I make my rabbit willow rings to chew on. Cardboard boxes with holes cut in them, that your rabbit can crawl into. My rabbits will dig at the cardboard and chew on it.

That's good that you aren't feeding too many pellets. Sudden changes in a rabbits diet can cause a lot of problems with some rabbits. Lots of grass hay is really good, and then gradually introduce anything new, just making sure your rabbit doesn't get any soft poops. If he/she doesn't then it's probably ok what you are feeding. You'll want to just gradually increase the pellets over several weeks, til you get to the normal amount that you are going to feed. Here's a good website for rabbit info. It will give you recommended feeding amounts too.

http://www.rabbit.org/

Good luck with your new rabbit and feel free to post pictures. We'd love to see what he/she looks like :)

Thanks for all of the welcomes, guys, and the information, very much appreciated. I browsed through some of the topics on here yesterday and it's such a great community and the information on here is amazing.

All of your advice is so welcome. I will post some pictures of Bugs tomorrow orat the weekend (I think the name sticks now, whether female or male... oops) so you can all see.

Unfortauntely, I think it's unlikely our dog will get along with Bugs (the dog is Buster) as he's a huge dog, getting older and used to having his own way. We showed him Bugs (in his hutch and at a good distance) and he starting pulling so its unlikely (unfortunately) that he will be able to be a house bunny.

We don't have a run for Bugs at the moment (we weren't expecting to be taking in a rabbit) but will be going out at the weekend to get him slightly bigger and more appropriate accomodation. The hutch he is in he can move around in and stand on his back legs but he will definitely need more room. In the absence of a run we've been letting him have the run the living room while the dog is having the run of the garden.

I want Bugs to trust me so not going to sex him/ her just yet although the aversion to handling from me isn't as bad as I was expecting and for the first time yesterday Bugs followed me across the room, I think this is a good sign.

I'm amazed at how lovable Bugs is and so curious!Bugs wants into everything and puts paws on me when I am sitting quietly paying (what he/she thinks) is no attention.

Looking forward to knowing the gender as I'd like to say he or she with confidence but I don't want to break the limited bond we have so am taking my time.

Will come back with pictures and thanks again for the warm and kind welcome

most forgive pretty quickly for a little poking and prodding... and (s)he'll need to get used to being held and flipped over anyway for nail clips and, during molts, grooming. I've been handling my bunnies and flipping them over for stuff since I got them and they bonded to me just fine ;)

just pick him/her up, give a tiny tidbit of fruit, flip 'em over, take a quick peek (if you're worried about whether you'll be able to identify correctly, as rabbits can be difficult to sex, perhaps have someone snap a quick pic so that you can post it here if need be), flip 'em back upright, give another piece of fruit and some pets and send him/her hopping back off. fruit is a special treat for bunnies, so a little bit goes a long way when you need a bribe ;)

Here are some photographs of Bugs, who I now believe to be a girl... maybe... going to look properly when hubby gets home.

She just jumped up on the settee and crawled across the keyboard. Odd bunny...

P1000375.jpg.html

^ not sure if that will work but it will have another go at it when I have more time.

Welcome to RO! This is a great forum full of bunny lovers.

Rabbits are fascinating little animals and it sounds like you are hooked too! I have two buns who have completely stolen my heart. They are so amazing to watch and are much more intelligent than people give them credit for.

Cleaning themselves is super cute. Have you seen a binky yet? Talk about cute!

You ve gotten lots of great info already. If you have any other questions ask away

Sorry no experience using photo bucket. I use picasa and I utilize the gallery on here. You can download them there and then use the little G icon when you hit reply (not quicky reply though, not there) to insert them into a comment.

Welcome to RO.

RE photobucket, all you have to do is copy and paste the IMG code to your blog on RO.

Looking forward to aeeing pictures of Bugs.

Susan:)

Okay... here goes...

Bugs when we first got her home:

P1000354.jpg

And from a couple of days ago having a treat in the living room.

P1000375.jpg

Sitting on the edge of the couch, fascinated by the camera:

P1000366.jpg

Getting my attention:

P1000362.jpg

I didn't realise when I took her in that I would end up belonging to her. Things that have happened:

- When we first rescued her and opened the top of her hutch to get her out she would run off and hide in her secluded little 'bedroom' now when I open up, she gets up on her back legs, snuffles my hand then lies on her front, ears back, nose twitching waiting (I believe) to be picked up. She no longer runs away.

- When I go outside in a morning she hops around like crazy until I stroke her nose.

- She would sell her soul for a little piece of banana.

- She likes to be chased by me... how I know this is, when I first let her out in the living room (door closed, dog outside having his run or walk), she would go behind my sofa. I didn't want her where I could not see her so I would try to shoo her out... now this is her game and she waits for me to chase her in then comes out the other side so I have to go that way. If I ignore her she comes up to me and puts her paws on my knee.

- I have not seen her Binky but I saw, what I believe was, a variation. We had been playing for a while then hubby and I decided to let her roam around the room while we watched TV. She played alone for a while before lying opposite me on the floor, feet out in front, back feet out behind. Then, after a few minutes she rolled on her back, twisted side to side then back on her front facing me, twitching her nose.

Sorry! How boring is this... fascinating to me but I'm sure you've all see in before.

What kind of rabbit do you guys think she is? Hubby and I reckon a cross... she has some stripes around her rear area.

Okay... shutting up now, I'm gushing.

She's absolutely gorgeous. Looks to be some sort of cross with a lot of Dutch features. Love her coloring, and they can be very playful and possessive. commander Bun-Bun used to nudge at our feet till we'd move them out so she could lay between them and the chair or you'd have to move your arm so she could lay on the arm rest. She loved to help me with the newspaper too--I'd read and she'd shred. Seems she's getting you trained quickly.

Who knew that they were so smart? Automatic assumption; small animal, small brain... not so. She's really intelligent.

Have an imagine of the bunny shredding paper now.

I've been looking on the other parts of the forum. Amazed at the variety of buns and the community spirit on here.

I can't believe someone might have deliberately abandoned her. She's the prettiest thing and very lovable.

Just balancing making sure the dog (Buster) doesn't feel neglected... he's been my pal for so long... think hes okay though.

immokk wrote:
I can't believe someone might have deliberately abandoned her. She's the prettiest thing and very lovable though.

My Archie was found wondering outside in my town as well. Animal control and to catch him and then I adopted him from a local rescue. I think he was deliberately abandoned too. It really is sad to think people do that :(

It's incredible... as I said, I rescued Bugs from my mum's back yard and tried to find her owner. No-one came forward. I can't imagine anyone not loving her so much that the very thought of leaving her somewhere doesn't break their heart.

There should be some sort of test people have to take before they can own an animal. It's crazy.

Besides that, hubby and I are MASSIVE suckers. Our dog was from a rescue shelter and in the last few years we have rescued:

Baby hedgehogs, Bugs and two collared doves (everyhing released when well enough, back to the wild aside from Bugs)

:bunnydance::bunnyheart:bunnydance:
:hello

Welcome!!!

I can see another human has become enchanted!!! I have to say I love to read about someone who is getting to know a bunnie for the first time. It's not boring at all!!! Happened to me about seven years ago and I'm still enchanted:) Aren't they amazing? So smart, so affectionate, so interesting. Your new bunny is beautiful and, I think, you're lucky to have found each other. So hope she stays with you!!!

Latest posts

Back