New to rabbits!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oreocookie55

Reaction score
Hello,

my name is Ashley, and I'm very new to breeding and rabbits in general. My husband thought it a good idea to teach our 4yr old responsibility, so bought some rabbits for her to look after and breed. She has mini-rexes, and we've enjoyed having them so much, my husband and myself are now getting meat breeds for us to raise. We have some new zealand, but I'd really like to get into breeding Flemish and Chinchilla specifically.
I'm hope everything goes good, we have had 2 litters so far and everyone is doing good. Our small "teaching experiment" has already developed into 15 rabbits, so wish me luck!

Breeding any animal is a lot of work and there's a lot to know when it comes to owning rabbits...especially for a 4 year old I would suggest you just start with one rabbit and maybe teach the child to just clean out the bunny cage everyday..rabbits breed very quickly and there's already a huge number of abandoned rabbits due to people back yard breeding them for no reason. Not trying to be rude whatsoever! Just trying to educate because like I said there are too many unwanted animals in the world already /:

I completely understand how much responsibility is involved, and how much hard work it can be. We live on a farm and have multiple animals already, we have a big chicken pen, a herd of goats, several pigs and a large herd of cows and horses. Raising animals is not new to us.
Our daughter is very mature for a 4 year old, she has been brought up around animals, and has daily chores involving all of them, but she wanted something of her own, and has adored rabbits for along time. She already handles all her rabbits with more love and care then a lot of the "back yard" breeders you mentioned Brienapp.

Latest posts

Back