New to rabbits Handling advice please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut88

Reaction score
We adopted an 8 week old Netherland Dwarf onSaturday she is adorable just 10 tiny ounces. This is our first rabbitexperience and I really want to do right by this little one. I feelpretty comfortable with all of the information I have read and receivedabout housing and feeding but I am unsure about handling her. She doesnot really like being held she starts to squirm after just a minute ortwo I do not push it and put her back in her cage. She isokay about us petting her in her cage when she has had enough so hopsaway and we stop. How do I go about handling her more and how oftenshould I. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Hi and Firstly Welcome to the Forum !!!!

I know with some rabbits, they do not like highs. I can suggest beinglower down when you try to handle your bun. The more oftenyou handle you rabbit, the more used to it they will become more usedto it.

Unfortunately some buns, just do not like to be handled whatsoever.

Here is a link of a website that has a great deal of info on rabbits,if I remember, there is also a section on handling your rabbit.

http://www.muridae.com/rabbits/rabbittalk.html

Hi and Welcome to the forum!

Zee is right, some rabbits just do not like to be held. I have threeand none of them care for it at all. Not to say they don't likeattention and being pet, just not being held. So I give them love theyway they want it.

It's good to start by just laying on the floor with your rabbit andletting them come to you. And she will! Let her get used to you beforetrying to handle her too much. If she likes being pet while in hercage, then by all means pet her there. Two of my rabbits only likebeing pet while they're in the cage.

It sounds to me like you're on the right track with her.

I have a Netherland Dwarf (Clover) and I thoughtthat she was being difficult, but I have found that after I spent a lotof time on the floor with her she would come to me and I am able topick her up for a while, if I stayed standing. She will notstay on my lap if I sit down somewhere though. It is justsomething that she does not do. I handle her a lot now andshe is really good, but will not stay on my lap (yet?).

I also find that there are times and places to pick her up.Like, I can never pick her up (or pet her) out in the garden.I have to get her back into the house first, usually to my office whereshe stays. I have her trained to go inside now when I tellher, so it is not that bad.

I also have to say that all rabbits are different and none of what wassaid above applies to our Dwarf Lop (Cocoa), but Nethies can be, hmmm,stuck-up? I love Nethies though.

Jay

both of my rabbits do not like to be held unlessall four of their feet are supported. similar to holding a regularchild on your chest....except with the rabbits front paws on yourshoulder and their back feet actually on your chest ..i have never hadissue in hold them this way .. with my lil one Vicky if you hold heranyother way she jumps right out like a piece of popcorn!

our rabbits don't like to be held either, so theonly time we pick them up is if they need a nail trimming, need ahealth inspection, or if they have been naughty.

Congrats on your new friend! What is her name?

Good news! Your buns is so young, it will be much easier totame her! But, unfortunately, like everyone replied, somebuns do NOT like to be picked up. Just go slow and begentle. Talk sweet to her. Soon, she will recognizeyour voice. It is the greatest thing in the world when yourbunny hops to you :D.

(I can't remember who said this, but it basically sums up bunny-ownership)

Rabbits are like ideas, once you have one and know how to handle it, you get more.

Thank you all for thehelpfulinformation. We really are enjoying having her in thehouse. Peanuts cage is in my daughters room, today we opened her cageand then laid on the bed and waited, after while Peanut came out on herown hopped around for 10 or so minutesinvestigatingeverythingthen went back into hercage. We were very excited. The only way we have tried to hold her issitting on our laps. I will give the other positions a try. Thank youagain for your help.

Congratulations and welcome. Rabbitsare just the cutest. We got our rabbits when they were only 5weeks old and they are doing great now. We pick up ourrabbits usually baby style, paws up, and they don't seem tomind. Rachet speciallylikes to be held but Plankonly likes it occasionally. Another position they seem tolike is having one hand on their chest and the other supporting theirback legs. I hope this helps. I usually give them atreat after we pick them up. Which they just gobble up.

Welcome again.

Charlie

Welcome to the forum Peanut88! :wave:

I adopted Pebbles a Netherland Dwarf when she was 5 monthsold. We spent alot of time on the floor withher, and soon she gained ourtrust. We did alot of petting,handling, and holding, so Pebbles has no problemswith us at all.

She is so tame, we can do anything...(fortune cookie on her head) :p

Rainbows! :D

Hi- this goes against what most people say- butit worked for me. I got my bun when she was 10 weeks old and after aweek she was doing binkies and flops so I knew she was happy- butwouldn't let me hold her. Someone told me to hold her firmly in my armsin an infant type cradle-holding her legs so she can't jump away. THenstroke her from the nose back to her ear tips. THey said it would showher who was dominant in our "relationship" but that I was gentle too. Idid this everytime I let her out of her cage-just for a few minutes.Within 2 days I could let her out of her cage- and she'd come up to mefor her "cuddling." She doesn't like to be held for too long-but loves it while (she allows) it to last.

First of all, welcome to the forum!

Like the others have said some rabbits just don't like being held. Myblack and white mixed breed, Devon, does not like being picked up.However, if I give him enough support I can carry him to where he needsto go. Sometimes I use the travel carrier to carry him around thehouse. My mini-lop mix, Amber, is just the opposite. She rather likesbeing held. You are doing the right thing by not pushing yourrabbit. The last thing you need is to create an environment of fear.

Good luck, and feel free to ask any questions that you may have.

Oh, and... pictures, pictures, pictures. Here at Rabbits Only, we love pictures:)

Bunnydude:dude:

Latest posts

Back