New To Bunnies Questions...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lestette

Reaction score
So I have wanted a rabbit my whole life, and now I finally get the chance to have one! :)
I have already started building my first cage and it is going great! I want to make sure that I have everything set up and ready for when bun bun gets here!
I'm going to be getting a female Black Otter Standard Rex (did I say that right?). I understand it is important to spay them, is around 6 months the correct age to do that?
As far as food goes, what type of pellet and hay is best for a young rabbit? Timonthy based or Alfalfa? I've heard that if you start with Alfalfa, your bun will sometimes not want to switch over because Alfalfa is sweeter? Is that true?
I'm trying to get some toys and such together as well, do your buns have any favorite toys that you would recommend?

That's about it for now. Any other words of wisdom are always appreciated though.

Thanks!! :)

Alfalfa is good for young bunnies and timothy for older bunnies. My boys are older but like alfalfa so I just mix the two together so they get to have a little treat.
My bunnies like blocks of circular wood that they can roll around. Toilet paper rolls are a favorite too. It's all about finding out the personality of your bunny and getting toys that fit them. Winston likes tossing things so I give him small things he can get airborne Poplar just likes to nibble. Give her toys that let her toss, dig, nibble, and hit and see what she likes best.
What they both like the most is their box. Just a cardboard box with doors in it and things, they love to remodel. They especially like the bottom flaps of cardboard that they can dig at.

I don't know about spaying since mine are from the shelter but there is a thread here that has info all about spaying and neutering that might have the answer in it:
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12040&forum_id=10

Spaying can be done when the rabbit is about 6 months old. You can wait a bit longer is you need to, but getting it done before too many hormonal behaviours occur is helpful.

Young rabbit can have alfalfa hay. If you are worried about her not eating the timothy when she is a bit older, you can give timothy when you get her. Start with a small amount of timothy, then increase as she get older, then decrease the amount of alfalfa. You can also give a variety of hays so she gets used to different kinds, and when she doesn't need alfalfa anymore, it's not a huge change for her.
As pellets are a small part of the diet, it doesn't matter too much if an adult get alfalfa or timothy pellets. As long as an adult gets timothy hay, they should be good. I would get the best pellets you can find and afford. I would avoid corn in the pellets and mixes with extra bits like seeds and dried fruit. For adults, the protein should be 16% or less and the fibre should be 18% or more. Young rabbit can have a bit more portein, but the fibre should be the same. Most rabbits don't need more than 16% protein, especially pet rabbits that are spayed or neutered.

My buns like cardboard to chew. They don't really like the toys to throw around. Anything they are chew is great for them. They also like grass mats to chew and dig at. Each rabbit is different, so try some different types of toys. I would not spend too much to begin with, as there might only be one that she likes. I have a Kabob toy that has barely been touched in 4 years, but toilet paper rolls get destroyed in 5 minutes.

Yes, I would prefer to get them spayed as soon as they can. I think I will try mixing the two kinds of hay to start with... I have just heard of a lot of people having trouble switching it later. :)
Trying to find a good pellet seems to be quite difficult. I had talked to someone that said she bought hers at a local vet... I think I will check them out!

Thanks so much!

if you put a general location we might be able to help with idea on pellets (for instance europe will have different brands then the US).

and honestly about the food and hay?

like said timothy for adults, and alfalfa for young. but this will vary on what is available to you.

i always feed an alfalfa based pellet, as I have a brand that I like (purina rabbit chow), and I only feed timothy hay, even to my younger rabbit. they do get a little alfalfa hay as a treat once in a while, but maybe only like 3 or 4 times a year and it is just a handful at a time.

our fav. toys in this house are cat tinkle toys

http://www.petnutritionproducts.com/images/zanies_lattice_balls_cat_toys.jpg

i also have found that the buns love dangley bird toys. ones with bells and such.

and willow balls, they love to chew on them.

They also need wood chew or pinecones to chew on... To help keep there teeth short... There teeth grow pretty fast and need them kept short

This is what i feed my 3 year old male rabbit

www. rabbitchow.com

17.99 for a 50 pound bag.

He get the locally grown hay i thinks it burmina or something LOL I dont even know.

Storm is not picky with toys it depend on the day some day he wants his box other he want his throw toys like baby keys and stuff. Some days all he does is chew I got Storm a variety and he likes them all.

Also i would try to start litter box training from jump it might make it easier

Hope this helps

Kat

mistyjr wrote:
They also need wood chew or pinecones to chew on... To help keep there teeth short... There teeth grow pretty fast and need them kept short

Actually, if given a variety of hays instead of just one will do the trick with the growing teeth. As Randy always says on here, each type of hay wears down the teeth differently.;)

I will include a thread on hay from our Library:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12059&forum_id=17

Some of the best toys are homemade ones, like empty toilet paper rolls that you can stuff with hay. One my bun loves is baby keys that you can get at Walmart, if you're in the US. You can even use shower curtain holders and hook them together for an interesting toy.:) Take a box and cut out a door and you've got a nice hidey house too!:biggrin2:

Here is a thread form our Library on Toys:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12433&forum_id=17

Hope this helps!:bunnydance:

Lestette wrote:
So I have wanted a rabbit my whole life, and now I finally get the chance to have one! :)
I have already started building my first cage and it is going great! I want to make sure that I have everything set up and ready for when bun bun gets here!
I'm going to be getting a female Black Otter Standard Rex (did I say that right?). I understand it is important to spay them, is around 6 months the correct age to do that?
As far as food goes, what type of pellet and hay is best for a young rabbit? Timonthy based or Alfalfa? I've heard that if you start with Alfalfa, your bun will sometimes not want to switch over because Alfalfa is sweeter? Is that true?
I'm trying to get some toys and such together as well, do your buns have any favorite toys that you would recommend?

That's about it for now. Any other words of wisdom are always appreciated though.

Thanks!! :)
outside rabbits don,t do well,!-they are easier and faster to diagnose health problems if they are kept at room temperature.//.diet has two classifications hay,ie.timothy/orchard grasses(is a non-digestible fiber)-the diet shall consist of 70% hay,,they like it in the poop box and in the hay bin 24/7--water--bowl and bottle,,.,and digestible fiber.ie.quality lowfat pellts(i use purina rabbit chow)-a small amount per day-quarter cup or so.//.never free hand pellets,the ever growing teeth require constant maintenance(chewing),--offer some greens dandylions,clover,grasses,,and fruit tree branches/twigs-good for teeth and gitract,...you will need to study poops,so here is a link http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html --remember what goes in must go all the way through--rabbits do not throw up like a cat,,,they groom incesitively,,the fur must have hay and water to flush through the gi-tract...a healthy bun is a happy bun...sincerely james waller :wave::rose::bunnydance::pinkbouce::biggrin2:-note alfalfa-(as a treat only)-is not a grass/it is digestible ,,and if the diet consists of a large amount on a young rabbit the stomach muscle donot develope properly for digestion of hay,,gi stasis won,t be far behind,,and it doesn,t work well with an older bun either...

Latest posts

Back