New to bunnies.. A few questions.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juicermccurran

Reaction score
My husband and I are looking at getting a rabbit for our family. We both had them when we were younger and loved them. We however both had ours live in hutches outside, we would like is one to live inside. So my questions is silly but do the smell? We never noticed smells I think because they were outside but I'm just worried the cage would be stinky. I would clean it daily, (I'm a neat freak) but are there any special litters that take smells away? Please let me know any other useful information you have or book recommendations. Not sure if it matters but we are interested in a mini lop.

Thanks so much!

I recommend reading, reading and reading some more here. No need for a book when you have experienced owners and helpful people here.

I have three buns. Two bonded females I took in an a male that is kept separate from them. All three live in the house in a room. An Xpen divides the room. The females have an extra large dog cage and the male has an extra large dog cage. I let the male out to run during the day and the females at night.

The male has a large cat litter box and the females have a shallow but large plastic under the bed storage box for a litter box. I use a layer of horse stall pellets in the litter box. On top of that I place a layer of kiln dried pine shavings. The males litter box I change every day the females every other day. I have no issues with smell. Every now and then I will notice a slight odor from the females but that is due to hormones and would go away once they are spayed.

There is such a long list of advice that could be given:)

Buns can be litter trained and most from my experience and what other have posted seem to pick it up rather quickly. When first bringing a bun home you can leave it confined for a period of time. Most buns will pick a specific spot to pee. Place a litter box there. Clean up any poops outside the litter box and place it in the box. Any pee soak up with a piece of paper towel and place this in the litter box. Then clean the surface with a water/vinegar mix. Have litter/bedding only in the litter box. If you want your bun to have something comfy to lay on you can give it a fleece blanky but watch for chewing. My buns seem to prefer laying on their cage bottom as it is cooler. Also buns seem to like peeing on soft items so you may want to hold off until the bun is litter trained. Most consider their buns litter trained when they pee only in the litter box. Stray poos outside of the box are normal. Buns will mark new territory with poo and from my experience this slows down as they feel at home.

Provide plenty of toys for your bun to chew. Cardboard if it has no shiny printing on it, phone books with the cover removed, toilet and paper towel tubes, dried pinecones with no seeds, bunny safe wood toys or pieces, cardboard boxes to dig in, hide in or tunnel through to name a few.

You can also hang a hay rack above the litter box so your bun can eat while in the litter box as buns will typically potty while eating.

Buns tend to drink more water when given a bowl instead of a bottle. A bowl should be heavy such as ceramic to avoid the bun flipping it or one that attaches to the cage.

Latest posts

Back