new to bonding, need a few tips please!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vona

Reaction score
I've had Pepper my Holland lop since august. She's been a dream. But once we started to get new bunnies Pepper got very upset kinda like "how could you bring that disgusting creature into MY house?!" She would go sit in her "pouting spot" and stare at us. Eventually she got over this and became great friends with our mini Rex Booster though they couldn't play together because neither had been spayed/neutered. Pepper got spayed back on January 28, and right before this time we had gotten a Havana black whom we named Toki, he came to us already neutered a good candidate for Pepper a bond mate....or so we thought haha. Just to see how it would go we brought both to a room neither have ever been in and at first there was a little bit of a tussle but they both quickly settled down and allowed grooming as well as cuddling. Once brought back to the room they were like mortal enemies. Now tokis way more layed back and was more like "could you please just stop Pepper your bugging me" since peppers been fixed they've been kept separate just recently we let her be able to get to his cage and they will both scratch at the cage and then be fine and lay side by side even thoughthey really aaren't together. So I guess my main question is( now that I've told you there whole life story lol) is that did I ruin there chance to be friends? Or is there still a chance to bond these two? They are our 2 most active bunnies and I feel they'd have so much fun together if theyed just get over there differences. Any suggestions? I've read where it could help to put honey on both of there noses I've read ALOT about bonding on here as well as other sites but still feel I need more advice I don't want either of my bunnies suffering from unessesary injuries due to my own stupidity. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide me with :)

Last edited:
I still think there is a chance these two can bond. Here is my advice.

First off, it takes about 2 weeks after a spay just to heal. And then even longer, up to several weeks, for hormones to dissipate. So it might be a *little* soon yet to try and bond her.

Secondly, it takes several neutral territory dates with no scuffles at all before it's "safe" to move them to NONneutral area that they both know. So I think you may have moved a bit too fast there. And then coupled with that her hormones may not be all the way gone like I mentioned so it just really worked against you there.....

So I would wait a couple weeks, keep them housed next to each other so they can see and smell each other but hold off on dating just yet.

When you do start again, keep the first date SHORT. Like, 5 minutes maybe! Take them both back to their cages and reward with a treat. Get them to associate positivity with meeting each other.

Do this every day and slowly increase time. As things progress, yes rubbing applesauce on their heads (no honey, not sure that's good for buns) can help them start to groom. But continue to strive for ending bunny dates on positive notes. It may seem like things are going so good and you will have the urge to push it longer or move too fast but try and resist :) Although every couple is different, just for reference it took 30 days to bond my two and I've heard of bonds taking months.

Here is my favorite bonding article that I share ALOT on here :) I feel like maybe it post it too much but I referenced it SO much bonding my two and I have researched alot on bonding and i really think this article covers most everything.

Best of luck! Don't give up...it's worth it in the end to see bunny love!

http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/bond.shtml

Okay, thanks a bunch :) I'm glad there's still hope. I'm going to have to rearrange a little bit for them to be side by side in there cages but I'm thinking it will definitely be worth it. I read the article and book marked it for future reference :) thanks so much again!

Latest posts

Back