New separated from mom at 4 weeks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qtd690

Reaction score
Hi all. I need some guidance for a new addition to our home. A bumny got away from her mother at about 4 Weeks old, she was caught about a week later by my parents. "She" was not reunited with her mother, but fed Timothy hay, alfalfa hay, pellets, and some clover and carrots for the past month. My mom is brining her to me from N.C . tomorrow (I live in GA) . Mom says she is doing well; pees and poops in a litter box.

My concern is that she is so young and separated from her mother at an early age, that she might have some GI problems.

Does anyone have any advice how to care for her? My mom seems to think she's fine, but I know they shouldn't be separated from their mother until 8 weeks of age.

I have an xpen set up for her and plenty of timothy hay and alfalfa hay as well as pellets and toys; but I'm worried.

Any advice would be welcome; and I do plan on having her spayed when she is "of age".

One of my bunnies was 6weeks when I got him and he's fine. I imagine if the baby hasn't passed by now then you're looking pretty good. Maybe jsut make sure shes eating and drinking the right stuff/amount and going to the toilet properly. If that's happening okay then i say just keep a cautious eye on her but she should be fine :)

The pellets should be alfalfa while she's this little [try Oxbow's] & slowly eliminate the carrots, except for carrot tops, which have lots of calcium for a growing bunny.

Is this a wild rabbit, or a feral one? If she's an American wild rabbit, I don't think you'll be able to find a vet who'll treat her.

I don't think there will be any health problems other than maybe not the right nutrition because they do nurse until about 6 weeks I would defiantly go to a vet and ask about proper care for her and the ask what kind of milk she should be drinking, Because when my bun had kits and rejected them I was told to give cat milk. This is a must they should still be nursing!

As LakeCondo said it should be alfalfa that you feed her and do not give her any type of treat( fruit or vegetable).

As she gets older there may be socialization problems because she was removed from her mom so young because of that you have to be around her and holding her as much as possible.

good luck:biggrin:

Thanks for the advise. She is a domesticated bunny and is adjusting r really well! She's super friendly and is 2 months old now (born on Feb. 25th). She's eating Timothy and alfalfa hay as well well as Oxbow pellets for young bunnies.

I did find some cecotropes in her cage the other day and from what I could find online it may be that she's eating more pellets than hay, so I've cut that back a bit and didn't find any today.

I'm planning to take her to the vet in the next week or so, because I have a suspicion that she might have ear mites (non that I can see, but she's shaking her head and scratching at her ears).

Thanks again for any advice! I'm already so in love with her and want her to be healthy and happy!:pray:

Latest posts

Back