New Rabbits arive with Bumps on eye lids and nose-Help Please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks,Yes it makes me very angry at the breeders.One of them was dead this morning,I took pictures,It had been dead awhile seeing it was cold and hard.It has little brown spec's All over it,Im thinking the parasites turning looose of the rabbit not that there host is dead.I can post a picture later.The other is in its cage not eating and it is drinking water,It sits in there with its eyes closed.Im in the country and have no vets close by at all.I dont drive and my Husband has to be at work.So im really in a spot.I do have probious

tonyshuman wrote:
I'm not familiar with the eye issues, but the suggestions already put forth are good, like fur mites, lice, fleas, mange, papilloma, syphillis, etc.

I worry a lot about the diarrhea, because that can be fatal quite quickly in younger bunnies. It sounds like these bunnies were raised in a really bad situation. There are lots of intestinal parasites and overgrowth of some bacteria may need to be treated by a vet. Give just hay, and push the fluids. Pedialyte can also help. Also, probiotics like Bene-Bac or Probios will help. It may take vet help though to get over the diarrhea. I think their problems are bad enough to warrant emergency vet care, but that's just me and you may not have that available.

I'm so sorry you lost one.:tears2:

Try to push fluids for the remaining one. Can someone run into town and get Benebac or another probiotic for you? Benebac is found in pet stores and some feed stores. If feed stores don't have Benebac they usually have another probiotic for horses that would be safe for rabbits.

:pink iris:

Probios should help some with the diarrhea. I'd give about a 1/2 inch long strip daily, at least.I really can't tell what the external parasite is from your description either. You may want to submit the rabbit that died for a necropsy when you can get in to see a vet, unless you have already buried it. It may help to figure out what's wrong and treat the others.

Also, the picture of the dead rabbit may be too disturbing to post, so it may be best just to post the url in the text box instead of putting the picture itself on here so that people who go to look at it know it may be disturbing. People who can identify external parasites by looking at them would probably like to see it to help figure out what went wrong.

Thanks,yes is very sad.Its so hard to find Dutch rabbits around here and then this happens when I finally get one :(
I have probios plus natural E,I have it for my goats,Would this be fine for the rabbit?

naturestee wrote:
I'm so sorry you lost one.:tears2:

Try to push fluids for the remaining one. Can someone run into town and get Benebac or another probiotic for you? Benebac is found in pet stores and some feed stores. If feed stores don't have Benebac they usually have another probiotic for horses that would be safe for rabbits.

:pink iris:

Yes I agree,Its a very sad sight to see,I will upload it to a url later on...Thanks

tonyshuman wrote:
Probios should help some with the diarrhea. I'd give about a 1/2 inch long strip daily, at least.I really can't tell what the external parasite is from your description either. You may want to submit the rabbit that died for a necropsy when you can get in to see a vet, unless you have already buried it. It may help to figure out what's wrong and treat the others.

Also, the picture of the dead rabbit may be too disturbing to post, so it may be best just to post the url in the text box instead of putting the picture itself on here so that people who go to look at it know it may be disturbing. People who can identify external parasites by looking at them would probably like to see it to help figure out what went wrong.

From what I can tell, the Probios Plus Natural E is the same as the normal formulation, with vitamin E added. I can't imagine how vitamin E would be detrimental. The therapeutic dose and toxic dose for humans are very far apart, and the toxic dose for mice is more than 4g/kg, so I don't think it would be possible to give them enough to cause toxic effects.

Ok thanks.I gave him some hopefully it helps.He hasn't been eating but is drinking.I have fresh grass and hay in there for him and pellets,plus salt/mineral weel.

tonyshuman wrote:
From what I can tell, the Probios Plus Natural E is the same as the normal formulation, with vitamin E added. I can't imagine how vitamin E would be detrimental. The therapeutic dose and toxic dose for humans are very far apart, and the toxic dose for mice is more than 4g/kg, so I don't think it would be possible to give them enough to cause toxic effects.

Latest posts

Back