New Rabbits arive with Bumps on eye lids and nose-Help Please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shellbell3252

Reaction score
Hi Y'all.I had a friend get some Dutch Rabbits for me.He brought them to me today.The lady he bought them from said the bumps (which are very thick) She said it was dry skin to put some oil on it.Well my friend did put oil on it regular oil in the kitchen.When I got them they where highly stressed and appear to be not healthy,They look sick.I uses baby shampoo washed the oil off.And looked at them closer.To me it looks like parasites.What kind I don't know.The also have diarrhea light brown.They had a 2 hour drive in a cage in the back of a pick up truck,so maybe this is from stress?I want to give them some Ivermecton,I have it on hand and use it for ear mites on my New Zealands.I know the dose for 5 lb but they Dutch are around 1lb or so Im guessing on the weight.They are 5 mth old,at least thats what the lady told my friend And one know a safe doe for a smaller rabbit?What I see when I look at them is,A thick area of bumps which will rub off some when I was dring them off,It looks like tiny grass seeds,which makes me think parasites.This is also on the nose with little scabs too.Please Y'all any advice would be great thanks! My Email- [email protected]

Well I am certainly no expert on this but there is a California strain of myxamatosis ; it does sound a little like what you are describing.I have never seen this disease but read the description here and tell me if it sounds like your new rabbits appearance sounds similar.
if this is suspected (and believe me I hope not) isolate the new ones immediately from your present rabbits.
it also could be something else so don't totally freak out as I am guessing

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=18+1803&aid=3422

Iwill try to find a picture of this disease

Or syphilis?

They need vet attention and should be quarantined from all your other rabbits. I wouldn't use Ivermectin until you know for sure what the rabbits have. Make sure to call the last owner and let them know the condition of your rabbits. They may have sick rabbits of their own that they haven't noticed.

Hi,Thanks for the info,Im hoping its not that.Was on them almost looks like tiny tiny rice,like a bunch of mini rice,thats why I was thinking bugs.I gave some ivermetin.I took them away from the other rabbits,But my loose rabbits chould wonder around there cage.I have 3 1/2 holand lop and new zeland that stay on our land.Im in Alabama. Thanks for your help,Im going to read the rest of the comments on here and go to the lin you gave me too.

angieluv wrote:
I saw California and thought you meant the state rather than the rabbit so tell me where you live or put it in your profile

PS: The stress of the move could have allowed whatever ailment it is to gain a hold because it would have suppressed the immune system.

I agree re: not using the Ivermetcin until you know what it it. Especially if they have any sign of diarrhea.

Also try and give them the same food they had at the breeders, and try and get them eating as much hay as you can. And fluids.

sas :clover:

Keep in mind that it's also possible that you are dealing withmore than one condition. Syphilis, mites, or fungal infection are all possibilities with very different treatments.

Pam

shellbell3252 wrote:
Hi,Thanks for the info,Im hoping its not that.Was on them almost looks like tiny tiny rice,like a bunch of mini rice,thats why I was thinking bugs.

Is the genital area clear or is it affected as well?

Also check their poops carefully for more signs of an infestation.

'Rice' bits can be tapeworm segments, but I dont' think they're usually found around the face. Ivermectin won't kill tapeworms. You'll need a vet to do a 'fecal float' to confirm an infestation.

Im Kinda worried its the Mange,I looked at pictures and it comes closer than the other stuff I looked up.No its not on the genitals

Pipp wrote:
shellbell3252 wrote:
Hi,Thanks for the info,Im hoping its not that.Was on them almost looks like tiny tiny rice,like a bunch of mini rice,thats why I was thinking bugs.

Is the genital area clear or is it affected as well?

Also check their poops carefully for more signs of an infestation.

'Rice' bits can be tapeworm segments, but I dont' think they're usually found around the face. Ivermectin won't kill tapeworms. You'll need a vet to do a 'fecal float' to confirm an infestation.

Thanks,For the help :)

pamnock wrote:
Keep in mind that it's also possible that you are dealing withmore than one condition. Syphilis, mites, or fungal infection are all possibilities with very different treatments.

Pam

The breeder didnt send any food along with the rabbit.Yes I thought that too,that the trip stressed them out.The breeder told my friend when he went to pick them up,that it was just dry skin,But it doesnt look that way to me

Pipp wrote:
PS: The stress of the move could have allowed whatever ailment it is to gain a hold because it would have suppressed the immune system.

I agree re: not using the Ivermetcin until you know what it it. Especially if they have any sign of diarrhea.

Also try and give them the same food they had at the breeders, and try and get them eating as much hay as you can. And fluids.

I know,I couldn't find any Dutch rabbits close to me,and they where close to my friend,so he went there.But he didn't relise the breeders where that way.I would have Never done business with people like that.He said it looked like they had 100 rabbits,guessing of coarse on the exact number of rabbits.My friend said he could always try to get them to do right and give us 2 more,But I told him I didnt want anymore rabbits from them.It really bums me out hopefuly I can get them better.

angieluv wrote:
the breeder doesn't sound reputable :(

yea I'm sort of glad that you saved a few from that breeder; if it is mange it is treatable but it sounds like there is alot more going on there ...multiple issues

If the rabbits have diarrhea you should be giving them some fluids ; if you can get some pedialyte and syringe them some it may decrease dehydration. Also give them some benebac if you can get some and make sure they have plenty of hay rather than plenty of pellets

Ok,I'll do that,Thanks :)

angieluv wrote:
If the rabbits have diarrhea you should be giving them some fluids ; if you can get some pedialyte and syringe them some it may decrease dehydration. Also give them some benebac if you can get some and make sure they have plenty of hay rather than plenty of pellets

I'm not familiar with the eye issues, but the suggestions already put forth are good, like fur mites, lice, fleas, mange, papilloma, syphillis, etc.

I worry a lot about the diarrhea, because that can be fatal quite quickly in younger bunnies. It sounds like these bunnies were raised in a really bad situation. There are lots of intestinal parasites and overgrowth of some bacteria may need to be treated by a vet. Give just hay, and push the fluids. Pedialyte can also help. Also, probiotics like Bene-Bac or Probios will help. It may take vet help though to get over the diarrhea. I think their problems are bad enough to warrant emergency vet care, but that's just me and you may not have that available.

Latest posts

Back